Minor Child Documentation

Hi to all,

For the first time I will be taking my kids on a cruise. Both kids have US Passports, however though since I am a divorced father. Is there anything that I need to have my ex wife fill out. She already wrote a notarized letter stating that I have permission to take the children out of the country. I just don't know if there is anything else that needs to be done.

Thanks all.

I would take their Original Certified copy of Birth along too. Proving you are their father! It is not required, if the last names the same, but better to be safe than sorry!

I had an agent this past June that was refusing my 17 yr old GD, who I have legal guardianship of, had the paperwork to prove it, but because I did not have a Letter signed from One parent giving me permission to take her out of the Country, I was held up for almost 5 hrs!

She had been on 14 cruise's with me before (as recently as Oct. 08) and we never had a problem! We were not asked at any of them other times for the notarized letter and did have one. This time I couldn't get one and what a mess!

Have a Great Cruise..your children will Love the Cruise!

My son has my last name. I just take his passport, I have never been questioned about him. From what I have read the problems come up when the last names are different.

From Royal's website:

Family Legal Documents

Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) and the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation.

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, or Ice Skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

My son has my last name. I just take his passport, I have never been questioned about him. From what I have read the problems come up when the last names are different.

From Royal's website:

Family Legal Documents

Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) and the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation.

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, or Ice Skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

Yes that is the case if the names are the same!

I also HAD my Legal Guardianship papers as proof and was required to have the notarized letter! No where does it state that in their requirements!

That is why I Suggested taking along anything you possibly have in regards to the child.

The last thing you want is to be held up on a Sunday while trying to board and you are 1000 of miles away from home!

I was doing a B2B on my June cruise, when this happened to me. I explained to the Agent if I have Proof I am the Legal Guardian, I am the person taking this child out of the Country and have every right too. Not according to their rules!

I had to produce the Notarized letter from One parent or no way was my GD boarding that Ship!

I'm a divorced mom with physical custody of my son. There is a form online (there is a link someone on here cuz this is where I got it) that I filled out and had his dad sign and notarize. I had it with me but they never asked for it. I'm glad, though, that I was prepared JUST IN CASE!

I feel you'll be fine with the notarized letter .... even though the form has you list the countries you'll be visiting.

As already noted, in addition to the letter you should their Certified Birth Certificates (to prove you are Dad and the person who signed the letter is Mom). Depending on who provides the children's heath insurance and the terms of your custody order, you may want to include that your ex-wife authorizes you to make any medical decisions for the children between dates X and Y. Make sure you have their insurance and Dr/Dentist information just in case (better safe than sorry).

I have sole physical and legal custody so I need have need that paperwork along with my name change order to complete the legal trail of names and documents. I had to proivde that in Baltimore in July before boarding and Immigration/Customs checked it coming back into the US in Miami in April.

I'm a divorced mom with physical custody of my son. There is a form online (there is a link someone on here cuz this is where I got it) that I filled out and had his dad sign and notarize. I had it with me but they never asked for it. I'm glad, though, that I was prepared JUST IN CASE!

I feel you'll be fine with the notarized letter .... even though the form has you list the countries you'll be visiting.

If anyone has a link to that form, it would really help me. I am taking two sons (16 & 18) on a cruise at the end of the month, we will have birth certificates, but they do have different last name than I do, so I am taking notarized letters, just in case. Even for the 18-year-old, since RCCL don't consider you an adult until 21. I would rather have them and not need them, then not be able to board the ship.

Thanks in advance!

We just returned from the Liberty a few weeks ago where we took our niece with us. Here is a sample of the letter I created taking info based on the info on the RCCL site and talking to other's who had traveled with kids. We did have both her passcard and birth certificate, but didn't need the birth certificate, but I was glad I had it just in case. When the RCCL check in rep read the notarized letter, she looked up at me and said it was the best, most comprehensive letter she'd ever read, so I guess it covers it all! This won't have the same terminology a divorced parent needs, but hopefully it will serve as a sample and you can tweak it to fit your specific needs.

To Whom It May Concern:

We, (insert parent's names) , declare that we are the lawful parents and guardians of (insert child's name), (female or male), born on (insert birth date). (insert child's name) is carrying a United States of America Passport Card number ______________________________________.

Our child (insert child's name) has our consent to travel with (insert temporary guardian's names) on an international trip that includes air, land and cruise transportation. The trip will commence in (home city or air departure city) on (date trip begins) and includes cruise transportation on the Royal Caribbean’s (insert ship's name) departing the Port of (insert port name) on (insert cruise departure date) , returning to the Port of (insert port name) on (insert cruise disembarkation date). The trip will include additional days in (if applicable insert state/country) after the cruise and return air and land transportation to (return home city) on or about (expected return air date).

In the event our child requires emergency medical treatment and we can not be reached, (insert temporary guardian's names) are authorized to consent to medical treatment in our stead.

Additionally, we authorize (insert temporary guardian's names) to sign any and all waivers or permits that may be required for (insert child's name) to participate in any sports activity or shore excursion, including but not limited to Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Inline Skating, Ice Skating, snorkeling, hiking, climbing Dunn’s River Falls or swimming.(insert any other expected excursions)

Any questions regarding this document may be addressed to us at:

Phone:

Address:

Signed:

(type & sign parent/guardian's name and Date)

(type & sign other parent's/guardian's name/date)

State of (insert state where signed):

County of _______________________

On this, the________day of __________________, 2009, before me a notary public, the undersigned officer, personally appeared (insert parent's/guardian's name), known to me (or satisfactorily proven) to be the person whose name is subscribed to the within instrument, and acknowledged that he executed the same for the purposes therein contained.

In witness hereof, I hereunto set my hand and official seal.

___________________________ Notary Public

We just returned from the Liberty a few weeks ago where we took our niece with us. Here is a sample of the letter I created taking info based on the info on the RCCL site and talking to other's who had traveled with kids. We did have both her passcard and birth certificate, but didn't need the birth certificate, but I was glad I had it just in case. When the RCCL check in rep read the notarized letter, she looked up at me and said it was the best, most comprehensive letter she'd ever read, so I guess it covers it all! This won't have the same terminology a divorced parent needs, but hopefully it will serve as a sample and you can tweak it to fit your specific needs.

To Whom It May Concern:

We, (insert parent's names) , declare that we are the lawful parents and guardians of (insert child's name), (female or male), born on (insert birth date). (insert child's name) is carrying a United States of America Passport Card number ______________________________________.

Our child (insert child's name) has our consent to travel with (insert temporary guardian's names) on an international trip that includes air, land and cruise transportation. The trip will commence in (home city or air departure city) on (date trip begins) and includes cruise transportation on the Royal Caribbean’s (insert ship's name) departing the Port of (insert port name) on (insert cruise departure date) , returning to the Port of (insert port name) on (insert cruise disembarkation date). The trip will include additional days in (if applicable insert state/country) after the cruise and return air and land transportation to (return home city) on or about (expected return air date).

In the event our child requires emergency medical treatment and we can not be reached, (insert temporary guardian's names) are authorized to consent to medical treatment in our stead.

Additionally, we authorize (insert temporary guardian's names) to sign any and all waivers or permits that may be required for (insert child's name) to participate in any sports activity or shore excursion, including but not limited to Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Inline Skating, Ice Skating, snorkeling, hiking, climbing Dunn’s River Falls or swimming.(insert any other expected excursions)

Any questions regarding this document may be addressed to us at:

Phone:

Address:

Signed:

(type & sign parent/guardian's name and Date)

(type & sign other parent's/guardian's name/date)

State of (insert state where signed):

County of _______________________

On this, the________day of __________________, 2009, before me a notary public, the undersigned officer, personally appeared (insert parent's/guardian's name), known to me (or satisfactorily proven) to be the person whose name is subscribed to the within instrument, and acknowledged that he executed the same for the purposes therein contained.

In witness hereof, I hereunto set my hand and official seal.

___________________________ Notary Public

Thanks you so much! Tweaked it so it fit my needs! :)

Archived