Hotels-San Pedro or Long Beach

mrspaper

we will stay 3 nights. We hope to go to Catalina Is. and visit with friends the rest of the time

If you are staying 3 days, then neither San Pedro or Long Beach is the best choice...

You should look into Santa Monica, Marina Del Ray, Venice Beach, or Hollywood.

Lots more to do and see from there (you can get to Catalina from Marina Del Ray).

Staying in Long Beach or San Pedro would be like staying far in New Jersey and having to drive into Manhattan every day for your vacation.

Or staying down by the boat docks there?

Who would want to do that on vacation?

Are you planning on renting a car?

What is your general budget?

Hi there,

I'll vote for Long Beach here for a visit to Catalina Island. Yes we've got docks and we've got beautiful marinas. It's a lot closer to Catalina Island from Long Beach than Marina Del Rey.

I'm sure your friends will have lots of ideas for things they may want to do with you during your visit. I know when I've got visitors we have our own traditional things we like to do.

Enjoy your visit,

Winnie

Hey Sunlover05,

Thanks for this great challenge. Please give me a few moments to collect my thoughts.

What are some fun things you like to do? What fun new things would you like to do?

Let me know,

Winnie

Thank you all for your initial suggestions.

Yes, we are renting a car.

More options to look at now ie Venice, etc.

I'm glad you mentioned that Long Beach for Catalina is OK.

My cousin felt that Long Beach is nicer than San Pedro to stay in. Do all the locals here on the boards agree?

Looking forward to hearing back with more info

Hi there mrspaper,

Check out http://www.visitlongbeach.com its got lots of great information about this great city that I have live in since the mid-70's. It has changed alot during that time frame. I'm suggesting this website as its got so much information.

Enjoy your visit,

Winnie

Oh,bye the way where does your cousin live?

Hi there mrspaper,

Check out www.visitlongbeach.com its got lots of great information about this great city that I have live in since the mid-70's. It has changed alot during that time frame. I'm suggesting this website as its got so much information.

Enjoy your visit,

Winnie

Oh,bye the way where does your cousin live?

Thanks for the website. That's why I love posting questions, you get so much info that helps so many people

my cuz is in Torrence. My friends are 2 1/2 hrs in Apple Valley. I will probably stay one night in a hotel closer to Apple Valley

Hi there Mrspaper,

You will be very close to Torrance, by staying in Long Beach its just a drive down the 405 fwy. You'll also be close to Catalina Express terminal in Long Beach.

As far as Apple Valley you're outthere just past San Berdandino enroute to Hesperia,Victorville & Apple Valley. You're right its aways out there. I'm glad you want to spend some time out there. I'm just not used to stopping in Apple Valley. I'm normally enroute to somewhere else.

Enjoy your visit,

Winnie

Why not just stay in Torrance. Lots of hotels, places to eat; and, it's central between the San Pedro dock and the westside tourist stuff. Plus, Torrance has free parking all over. Parking is a real chore in Long Beach and almost anywhere on the west side.

I'll have to ask my cousin why he didn't suggest it?

Is it also close to returning to Long Beach Airport? What about LAX?

(I didn't purchase my flight yet, so I can go either way)

I'm glad you mentioned that Long Beach for Catalina is OK.

My cousin felt that Long Beach is nicer than San Pedro to stay in. Do all the locals here on the boards agree?/QUOTE]

Actually, I've spent many years in both areas, and don't see much difference in danger from Long Beach overall and San Pedro overall. Both cities have their good and not so good parts. Long Beach (at least the area downtown where the large hotels are located) has a much more "big city" feel, with highrise office buildings and hotels. San Pedro is more small town. The cruise dock in San Pedro is only a few blocks from the Crown Plaza; and about one mile from the Double Tree. Also, the Catalina Terminal is adjacent to the cruise dock in San Pedro.

San Pedro's rougher areas are a couple of blocks from the downtown area; but I don't hear of much serious crime in the downtown area. Long Beach's rougher areas are to the west and north of the downtown zone, extending to the northeast quite a distance. There's a lot more nightlife in Long Beach, which caters almost exclusively to a younger crowd. While there really isn't normally much nightlife in San Pedro, except when there is some special event. I've eaten in many of the restaurants in both areas, and prefer the local places in San Pedro. There are a few "local" type places in downtown LB, but most are either chain places of what I would consider ripoffs that cater to the young people. SP has lots of local places at all price ranges with very good food, specializing in local ethnic foods (Italian, Yugoslav, continental, eclectic, Japanese, seafood, Mexican).

If safety is a concern, stay in Torrance, which has very little real crime, with many places to dine. Unfortunately, most of them are chain restaurants. The Torrance PD really comes down hard on crime.

Win1 -

I would like a nice place to eat, something different from the chain-type places. Not expensive (under $25 p/p), but with atmosphere and good food. (For example, when people come to visit our area, I suggest one restaurant that has unique soups, sandwiches and salads. (Cheddar Cheese & Beer Soup, Greek Lemon Chicken, etc) Another place is known for it's great Burgers and Chili, it has half of a Corvette on the wall and is a remodeled former old gas station.)

Is there something we shouldn't miss seeing in the area? We will arrive in the area around 2pm, and have to be at the ship by 11 am the next morning. What do you suggest the best way to spend our time?

I waited too long to book a hotel in San Pedro for my 12/6 cruise on RCL, the crowne and doubletree are both booked, so never even think of Priceline. I thought I'd look at Long beach since what I want to do is the Queen Mary, the Aquarium and the shopping village. I am flying into LAX on 12/3 and I assume Super Shuttle will get me to LB.

I looked at trip advisor and two of the highly rated hotels are the Comfort Inn and the Best Western Long beach. I really need to stay below $100 a night or else I will have to cut something else out of my cruise budget. However, the reviews all mention how bad the areas are around those hotels. I am a single female senior, don't want to rent a car.

Is there anything in a nice area that I can still get to my tourist stuff and take a shuttle van of some type over to san pedro cruise terminal??

I am getting so discouraged I may just fly in the day before the cruise, stay out near LAX and skip doing anything extra.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fran

I waited too long to book a hotel in San Pedro for my 12/6 cruise on RCL, the crowne and doubletree are both booked, so never even think of Priceline. I thought I'd look at Long beach since what I want to do is the Queen Mary, the Aquarium and the shopping village. I am flying into LAX on 12/3 and I assume Super Shuttle will get me to LB.

I looked at trip advisor and two of the highly rated hotels are the Comfort Inn and the Best Western Long beach. I really need to stay below $100 a night or else I will have to cut something else out of my cruise budget. However, the reviews all mention how bad the areas are around those hotels. I am a single female senior, don't want to rent a car.

Is there anything in a nice area that I can still get to my tourist stuff and take a shuttle van of some type over to san pedro cruise terminal??

I am getting so discouraged I may just fly in the day before the cruise, stay out near LAX and skip doing anything extra.

Fran

There are some LB hotel threads here so you might want to check them out (I live in LA so I haven't spent any time in the hotels) to see which ones are recommended. The problem with tripadvisor is that often there are "plants," recommendations or pans by those connected with some of the hotels.

Fran

I saw you had mentioned Priceline, but did you try them? We got a night at the Westin in Long Beach for $65 on 11/28 for our pre-cruise stay. I have never been there, but it looks very nice and got good reviews from both people on here and on trip advisor. :)

Not sure what is going on for my dates of 12/3 to 12/6. I tried the San Pedro hotels, went up to $75, rejected bid. Moved over to LB, zone 1 and airport, 3.5 stars, bid $65, rejected. Tomorrow I'll try bidding $70 in Long beach. Then on price line they show me this deals section that says San Pedro hotel 3.5 stars at $69. After looking at what I want to do in area, I think LB would be better. I called the hotel, it's $30 to get from Hilton LB over to San Pedro, but at $65 I would save $150 over usual hotel web site rate. I am just about ready to quit and just fly into LAX on Saturday, take ship shuttle down on Sunday. I have never had such a hard time booking a trip, and I travel several times a year. If I could get my cruise deposit back I would cancel the cruise, even though it seemed a great deal all of this nonsense is making it less so.

Fran

Not sure what is going on for my dates of 12/3 to 12/6. I tried the San Pedro hotels, went up to $75, rejected bid. Moved over to LB, zone 1 and airport, 3.5 stars, bid $65, rejected. Tomorrow I'll try bidding $70 in Long beach. Then on price line they show me this deals section that says San Pedro hotel 3.5 stars at $69. After looking at what I want to do in area, I think LB would be better. I called the hotel, it's $30 to get from Hilton LB over to San Pedro, but at $65 I would save $150 over usual hotel web site rate. I am just about ready to quit and just fly into LAX on Saturday, take ship shuttle down on Sunday. I have never had such a hard time booking a trip, and I travel several times a year. If I could get my cruise deposit back I would cancel the cruise, even though it seemed a great deal all of this nonsense is making it less so.

Fran

I don't know about hotel bidding (haven't tried it out) so not sure about prices and all that. But I don't see why there would be a problem with those dates. Even with a few conventions, there are a lot of hotels. But from what I've read in the Western Destination area, the Long Beach airport area isn't the best. Maybe someone who knows which area and stars to bid will chime in here.

Well this is the craziest thing I've ever run into. I was feeling cranky so I decided to go back to Priceline and try something different. I specified LB downtown, 3.5 stars (Westin & Hilton) and just bid on Thursday and Friday nights, at $60 a night, which is crazy low. And that was accepted, for the Westin. Then Priceline asks if you want to add days at the same bid, so I added back the Saturday, and it accepted it. So I ended up at the Westin, which should be mostly OK room wise and excellent location wise, for 3 nights for $220 total. Versus the regular rate of $385 on their web site. And the shuttle to San Pedro is $27, so I came out ahead.

I've heard of all kind of crazy bids on priceline, but this is a new one to me. Thanks for letting me vent, I am now back on track. Flipping over now to book flights before they go up.

Fran

Help! I have never used Priceline but it sounds like I should look into it for me January cruise on the Mariner. Could someone explain how it works? If I put in a bid, do I have to take what comes back? Do I bid on a certain hotel? I am so confused.:confused:

Thanks.

Buckeyefan

Hey Buckeye fan, I am also an Ohio State alum :-).

Best site to learn about priceline and hotwire is:

http://www.betterbidding.com/

This is the first time I "won" on a bid. It requires a lot of research and patience. The biggest hassle is the restriction on a rebid within 24 hours and how to learn the ways to get around that. Also, you need to research on the above site what hotels you are likely to get, based on the zone and number of stars, and the winning prices. I look those hotels up on trip advisor for reviews and if one of the likely results is one I absolutely do not want then I don't bid. In some cities the zones and stars is pretty easy to use, as it was in Long beach. Basically, the downtown zone 3.5 stars are the Westin & Hilton, either of which would be OK. In San Pedro the 3.5 stars are the Crowne and the Doubletree. Be careful though because those can change, which is where the above site helps. In order to rebid within 24 hours you need to change something, simplest thing is to add a zone that doesn't have a 3.5 star hotel, such as the Long Beach airport zone. As I said though, I have never read on the above site it working out like mine did. I would have been happy to get a deal on some of the nights and pay the usual price on another. I may have actually been able to get a lower bid accepted, but I am happy with my deal. Also, with priceline you have to accept that you probably won't get the very best available room, though sometimes there is no discrimination at check in, depends on hotel.

Once you hit the button with a bid, if it's accepted you have to pay, no refunds. So be careful.

Hope that helps. Decide when you want to check in before the cruise, and if you are coming in a few days early decide between LB or San Pedro. Also whether you want to rent a car, I didn't. Suggest you book early, especially if you want to try priceline. I waited too long for San Pedro, couldn't find availability never mind priceline. Course it might open up closer to cruise, but not likely. But then I realized everything I wanted to do was in LB, and getting over and back over 3 days from San Pedro would have been a hassle. The shuttle over to San Pedro from downtown LB is about $30/person. From the San Pedro hotels there are free shuttles to the ship. Early bidders on priceline got the San Pedro 3.5 stars at about $65, half of hotel site rates.

Good luck and go Buckeyes, we are moving back up into the top 5.

Fran

Hi there Sunlover05,

Lots of qualifications for your visit, you know it does cost more to play in California than in Michigan.

I still need more time to meet all of your qualifications. I'm working on it.

Winnie

Fran,

Wow, thanks for the quick tutorial on priceline. I am going to check out the site you mentioned, do my homework, and then dive right into bidding on priceline. I don't think I will get that great a price since we are traveling Jan 1, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Not sure our Buckeyes will move up much further in the polls. Serious issues going on with our quarterback.

Thanks for everyone's help!!

Buckeyefan:o

Archived