What to do with a 2 year old?

cobbmom123

We are leaving next month for a 5 night cruise on Royal Caribbean's Enchantment of the Seas. We have a 6 year old and a 2 year old. Ideally, I would've waited until the youngest is 3 (old enough for the kid's clubs and swimming pools!) and I would've done a Disney cruise (we enjoyed a disney cruise before the youngest was born). But, this is a business trip for hubby and a tax write off, so why not?

It seems like on RC there is very little to do outside of the kids club for kids, and virtually nothing for the 2 year old. Any ideas of things to do with her?

If your 2 year old is toilet trained, she can use the pools! It's just AO that she has to be 3 to utilize!

Other than that, I guess you'll be doing with her on the ship whatever it is you do to amuse her at home! Don't forget, you'll have the port stops for added entertainment!

I believe they do have some "open play" time for smaller kids and their parents during some of the daytime hours...

My little ones always loved mini golf and just exploring the ship. There are movies to watch either in the cabin or on deck if your ship has that. Our last cruise my kids weren't potty trained or old enough for the kids club but they were so busy watching people and doing the other stuff that they didnt notice

We are leaving next month for a 5 night cruise on Royal Caribbean's Enchantment of the Seas. We have a 6 year old and a 2 year old. Ideally, I would've waited until the youngest is 3 (old enough for the kid's clubs and swimming pools!) and I would've done a Disney cruise (we enjoyed a disney cruise before the youngest was born). But, this is a business trip for hubby and a tax write off, so why not?

It seems like on RC there is very little to do outside of the kids club for kids, and virtually nothing for the 2 year old. Any ideas of things to do with her?

Couldn't resist the opportunity to respond to a fellow peach! :)

My daughter is also 2 and it will be her 3rd cruise in December. Most of the lines do have a play hour (parents must stay) once a day. Most lines also have toys that you can check out. Some lines allow you to use the older tots playroom when the ship is in port. These tend to have rubber play areas and indoor jungle gym type activities. Other than that, there isn't much for them to do. Some parents also pack inflatable bath tub/pools so that your little one can play in the pool next to you while you lounge on deck. I bring a portable DVD player so she can watch Dora and Barney. I also pack a few of her favorite toys and the staple items: paper, crayons, coloring book etc.

At that age, my girls loved going anywhere there was music (on deck during the day; in a lounge - off to the side - at night). But I agree with the previous posters, at that age, a walk around the ship or letting them climb on a couple lounge chairs on deck would take up a lot of time and they loved it. Mix in 3 meals a day and a nap, and the days were full.

Best,

Mia

Trust me, you will not have to worry about her being entertained. There is PLENTY going on for that age-because they don't need "stuff" to entertain them.

I took my 16 month old in May on the Valor- and he was all over the place and it was very exhausting- but a good exhustion- all the new stuff to get into! We are going back in a couple of days on the Legend- so it must not have been too bad.

Very different than cruising alone or with older children- but still very enjoyable. Get a balcony.

OK, so she's potty trained, so she can use the pools even though she isn't three yet?

I THINK we have early dining. I don't know for sure, I'll have to check. This is what is driving me crazy, I didn't plan this trip, my hubby arranged it through a travel agent. I am a bit of a control freak.

I'll bring the portable DVD player and some movies. Is there any TV in the room aside from the ship's channel?

I doubt we will use the babysitting. I don't like the idea of trusting my little one with a stranger alone in a room smaller than my gazebo at home!

Couldn't resist the opportunity to respond to a fellow peach! :)

My daughter is also 2 and it will be her 3rd cruise in December. Most of the lines do have a play hour (parents must stay) once a day. Most lines also have toys that you can check out. Some lines allow you to use the older tots playroom when the ship is in port. These tend to have rubber play areas and indoor jungle gym type activities. Other than that, there isn't much for them to do. Some parents also pack inflatable bath tub/pools so that your little one can play in the pool next to you while you lounge on deck. I bring a portable DVD player so she can watch Dora and Barney. I also pack a few of her favorite toys and the staple items: paper, crayons, coloring book etc.

Anyone know if they have this play time / area on NCL Jade?? We will be bringing out 17mo in January and could do with being clued in on what to do on sea days ... any help appreciated ... OH, and OP hope you don't mind me asking on this thread:)

Thanks!

Anyone know if they have this play time / area on NCL Jade?? We will be bringing out 17mo in January and could do with being clued in on what to do on sea days ... any help appreciated ... OH, and OP hope you don't mind me asking on this thread:)

Thanks!

I was on the Norwegian Jewel last year and they did. They had the Under 2 Zoo and they allowed her to play on the indoor playground equipment when they ship was in port. Since the Jade is newer. I would expect the same.

I was on the Norwegian Jewel last year and they did. They had the Under 2 Zoo and they allowed her to play on the indoor playground equipment when they ship was in port. Since the Jade is newer. I would expect the same.

Sorry for a silly question but ... is the Under 2 Zoo open on sea days? What is in it? Is it inside or outside?

Thanks very much for your help!

My 2-year-old LOVES music on cruises. We were just on the Zaandam and they had a string quartet playing in the lobby as we embarked. DS stopped to listen and didn't want to leave! DS also likes the pool bands, so maybe while the 6-year-old is having pool time, the 2-year-old can groove to the music? We also find that going to whatever venue has a swing band in the early evening is a fun activity after dinner/before bedtime. DH hates to dance, so DS is my dance partner. It's pretty rare that anyone is dancing at that hour, but we always get big grins from the other passengers and the band too.

DS also likes just going around the ship checking everything out. Ships tend to have a lot of paintings and sculptures and decor that are interesting to little eyes.

Ditto the tip about the kids' club having under-3 time. On Royal Caribbean, their under-3 group is cobranded with Fischer Price.

We cruised with our then 10 month old on RCCL last year, and they have an awesome playtime set up compliments of their partnership with Fisher-Price. It was at the same time each day, mid-morning, for a half hour or an hour per age group, can't quite remember. They had a group for like 18 months and under, which age appropriate toys from FP, then the next group would come in, like 18 mo to 3 years, for the next hour. It was monitored/hosted by a member of the Kid's CLub team, so was really fun, and lightly used on our cruise. The staffer had no problem letting Stella stay and play with the next group, since there was only or so kids in each group. Plus, as a previous poster said, you won't believe how easy it is to burn time. A half hour in the pool with her, an hour climbing on the chairs in an area of the ship where no one is (you'll find them, don't worry!), an hour walking around the ship, playing in the big windows looking out over the ocean...you'll com back and tell us you wish you had more time in the day!

Also, don't rule out lounges, etc. Even though they aren't "open", you can always go in there and roam, play on the floor, etc. No one ever minded when we did, just never made a mess or anything.

Sorry for a silly question but ... is the Under 2 Zoo open on sea days? What is in it? Is it inside or outside?

Thanks very much for your help!

Yes, it was. It was inside. They switched locations throughout the cruise but most of the time it was inside in a conference room near the theater. They just filled it with age appropriate toys, play tents etc

Yes, it was. It was inside. They switched locations throughout the cruise but most of the time it was inside in a conference room near the theater. They just filled it with age appropriate toys, play tents etc

That's fantastic news!!

Can I ask a couple more questions please ...

Did they 'advertise' it on the daily program you get in your room? (Don't know the name of it:o ) and if not, how did you find out about it?

Roughly what time was it on?

And last, were you allowed to check out toys?

Thanks a million!

That's fantastic news!!

Can I ask a couple more questions please ...

Did they 'advertise' it on the daily program you get in your room? (Don't know the name of it:o ) and if not, how did you find out about it?

Roughly what time was it on?

And last, were you allowed to check out toys?

Thanks a million!

They did advertise it on the daily program as "Under 2 Zoo". Also, they told me that the cruiseline delivers a special newsletter for kids under 3 to their cabin (to outline the entire cruise activities for little ones in advance). We never got ours but some of the parents I talked to did. Most of the time it was mid morning like 10 am or so. I want to say that there was at least 1 day when it was around 2pm though. I asked the first day we were aboard. We went to the kids program and asked when could we bring her up to the older kids area to play, when did the under 2 zoo meet etc. I never checked out any toys but I believe one of the parents said that they did. I was a little uneasy with that. I don't know how often they sanitize their toys and my daughter tastes everything. :)

They did advertise it on the daily program as "Under 2 Zoo". Also, they told me that the cruiseline delivers a special newsletter for kids under 3 to their cabin (to outline the entire cruise activities for little ones in advance). We never got ours but some of the parents I talked to did. Most of the time it was mid morning like 10 am or so. I want to say that there was at least 1 day when it was around 2pm though. I asked the first day we were aboard. We went to the kids program and asked when could we bring her up to the older kids area to play, when did the under 2 zoo meet etc. I never checked out any toys but I believe one of the parents said that they did. I was a little uneasy with that. I don't know how often they sanitize their toys and my daughter tastes everything. :)

Thank you thank you thank you - that is fantastic information!!!!

I will make sure to ask for the 'special' newsletter and will bring LOTS of disinfectant wipes for the toys ... this is FANTASTIC news for us ... will help keep our LO who has a short attention span amused - Thank you!!

Archived