Silversea new cooking program 2010, The School of the Chef

WesW

Although I posted the link to this new program on the Maiden thread, thought it would be of interest to all SS sailors.

Pls see link below in Spirit Blog today, the Culinary Director of SS announces for all Silversea ships in 2010, The School of the Chef.

Will include from Market to Plate excursion, cooking demonstrations, et.al.

http://www.silverspiritblog.com/

Thank you, Colonel, for the link. So they are going to have cooking shows in the theatres. That is nice, but it also will require a good deal of preparation. First, they need to have water and drain pipes on stage (I doubt they have those now in the existing ships, for these they may have to retrofit, and build in such facilities for the newbuild Spirit). Then they need some modification to the ventilation system to take away the cooking fumes.

As for bringing interested passengers to the markets for purchasing with the chefs, what happens if too many sign up? How do they select who can go? Just some practical details that need to be settled.

This surely should be of interest to many people, presumably to not many more than half the passengers, as the newbuild Spirit's theatre has only 330 seats for a maximum of 540 passengers. If a renowed guest chef is on board, or there is a competition held for passengers who volunteer to participate, it is not inconceivable that more than half the ship may like to watch the show (and taste the results afterwards)!

In any case, it is an attractive new idea that should be welcomed.

I always go to the demos on sea days. Some of these shopping with the chef events have been canceled in the past due to lack of sign-up. I had one canceled recently as I was the only one to sign up. Of course, if they are actually going to market this stuff now, that is something else.

I like the free demos and hope this cooking thing does not eliminate them.

That is nice, but it also will require a good deal of preparation. First, they need to have water and drain pipes on stage (I doubt they have those now in the existing ships, for these they may have to retrofit, and build in such facilities for the newbuild Spirit). Then they need some modification to the ventilation system to take away the cooking fumes.

I saw a demonstration in the theater of the Queen Mary 2 and it was handled by wheeling in a few carts. I think the cooking was limited to items that did not require an oven, just a burner or two, which were on the carts. Perhaps that is what Silversea has in mind.

I cook every dang day and am excellent at it. The last thing I want to see on a cruise is cooking. Let this be for the folks who think "cooking' Is popping a dish in a microwave. Why is this a big deal? Check out Bon Appetit or Gourmet if you need new recipes. Again why analyze everything?

I like the samplings they do. The recipes are just souveniers.

This is actually the only thing I recall analyzing, and saying I hope they don't do away with the current program hardly seems like much of an analysis. What I did like about it was that they said they would do regional things. One thing that I do not like about the dining in general is there is not enough emphasis on regional. I understand with health concerns, etc.

I am good at cooking, too, but I love fresh, regional ingredients and to educate myself in this. It is easy enrichment.

I am happy that Silversea continues to update the blog.

Silver Spirit Show Lounge

Oct 13, 2009 09:11 pm | ralph.grizzle@gmail.com (Ralph Grizzle)

The galleys of Silver Spirit will have their own show in Spirit’s show lounge. A new culinary programme to be introduced on Silver Spirit and extended fleetwide, “L’Ecole du Chef” will feature cooking classes and interactive workshops. One of the highlights of the programme will be “from the market to the plate,” where chefs take guests to the local market to buy ingredients then return to Silver Spirit to prepare the meal together.

Betty & David, thanks for posting, but this link is the same as the link in the OP..fyi,

Ralph Grizzle was one of two seasoned cruise journalists that accompanied the Spirit on her seatrials last month. Ralph's vidoe company Avid Travel Media (he is the

Avid Cruiser) has produced both videos (Spirit tour) and this one that are posted

on the Spirit blog.

Archived