Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

Hey, I thought you stopped counting until sometime in August:confused: - stealing my thunder, eh?;):)

For me, 28 more humps to go!!

For internetwhiz Karen, its a -1 :p:D

Make it a great day!!

Ok...I'll try not to remember next Wednesday. Geeze---minus humpdays...can't wait for that one!!!

I tried it but I am too young..lol! I have to be 61 and 9 months...shucks...only have a month left too wait!!

Hey, I am older than you. LOL I turned 62 in February.

Yes, if it is weird and medical it happens to us. They say you can only get shingles once but that was his third time. The bad thing is when it is on your face. I was scared to get the shot because it is a live virus but I finally got it.

My daughter got shingles about 3 months ago on her face. Naturally, she was scared and so were we. On a Friday night, she said her ear hurt (that is the ear that she had several surgeries on) so she went to a quickie clinic. The next morning she was still in pain she went to another clinic. Sunday night she was still in pain and went to the ER. When she came back (I stayed with the kids) I notice a rash on her face and I knew right away what it was ( although 3 doctors did not). I did not want to tell her that night ( it was midnight) because I knew she would not sleep. Early in the morning I texted her husband to say they should go to the family doctor. Of course I was right.

She had a line from her mouth to her ear. She had them in her mouth and ear. She was out of work for two weeks. The sad thing was that Lucas her son was 6 months old and just as she was able to go back to work he got chicken pox and had to stay home. That was at Easter when we were going on a cruise. Luckily, Fabian's mother was able to stay with the baby.

So people get your shingles shot and men get your psa test.

read52, I'm no medical type, but i presume its safe to say your family is predisposed to shingles?? So sorry your family is experiencing this. I turn 60 next year, and have a physical scheduled for later this year. I had chickenpox when I was a kid, so I plan to have the doctor give me the shot.

Hope things improve for you and your family.

Heading out and going off grid for the weekend, so hope everyone has a great Fourth of July!!

Only 200 more calendar days until I hit the eject button (not that I'm counting days, or hump days, or weeks, or....:o)

read52, I'm no medical type, but i presume its safe to say your family is predisposed to shingles?? So sorry your family is experiencing this. I turn 60 next year, and have a physical scheduled for later this year. I had chickenpox when I was a kid, so I plan to have the doctor give me the shot.

Hope things improve for you and your family.

My family is always getting medical things that people don't get anymore, I could write a book. The only thing that I can connect with my husband and daughter is the they both get a lot of infections both bacterial and viral. I also have two sons and I rarely get sick. My children are ages 30, 32, 35 so they all had chickenpox. My oldest son had them so bad that he missed the last 3 weeks of third grade. The only good thing that came out of my husband getting sick was that we discovered cruising and are able to go on school holidays.

Hey, another Jan 2015 retiree. Thats 3 of us: zlacruising, you and I.

Here's to the three of you. If you have an office, start discarding what you can now. Cull emails out, begin to wirk now for life soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's to the three of you. If you have an office, start discarding what you can now. Cull emails out, begin to wirk now for life soon.

Hi Karen...doing that now. Taking stuff I use at home and keeping it at school for the next teacher. It won't be an office when I finish with it. It will be my art/play room...lol. Don't know if I mentioned this here..when I go back to school I won't be a teacher. I will be a PreK teacher aid. That is why I'm doing this now. Big cut in pay but it won't affect my retirement. Less stress and no paper work to bring home..works for me!!![emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

Hi Karen...doing that now. Taking stuff I use at home and keeping it at school for the next teacher. It won't be an office when I finish with it. It will be my art/play room...lol. Don't know if I mentioned this here..when I go back to school I won't be a teacher. I will be a PreK teacher aid. That is why I'm doing this now. Big cut in pay but it won't affect my retirement. Less stress and no paper work to bring home..works for me!!![emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

Sounds great. I had three positions in Education in higher Ed. 18 yrs teaching in community college, 6 yrs teaching teacher education at a public university, and the last 15 as Dir. of Faculty Instructional Technology at a private liberal arts college. So, I had 15 yrs of accumulation at the last job. Like you, no paper grading at the last job, just did workshops for faculty etc.

So far with retirement I am filling out insurance transfer forms, etc. Go ahead and cull your email and make lists of people you will want to notify of a new email. I get to keep my Hendrix email so I can leisurely do that. Begin to unsubscribe from email listservs, etc. Will make it easier.

x2, started clearing a few things out here and there, dumping some old electronic and paper files I don't look at anymore, etc.

I work for the NV Legislature and we have biennial sessions, the next starting in February. At this point, the bureau rec'd the OK to overlap my position and the recruitment has already begun. I will be "training" whoever my replacement is over the next 5-6 months as they prepare for the '15 Session. I intend to move out of my office into a much smaller vacant office, so I need to dwindle a whole lot of stuff. About the only personal stuff I'll take home will be family pictures and my professional certificates - they can keep all the other crap or toss it out:cool:. I even have a couple of emergency suits/sport coats and ties hanging here that will probably end up at a thrift store!

Bring a lot of Kleenex with you to the job! LOL Little ones always have running noses. I love my grandchildren but I know I could not have a whole classroom of prek.

Sounds great. I had three positions in Education in higher Ed. 18 yrs teaching in community college, 6 yrs teaching teacher education at a public university, and the last 15 as Dir. of Faculty Instructional Technology at a private liberal arts college. So, I had 15 yrs of accumulation at the last job. Like you, no paper grading at the last job, just did workshops for faculty etc.

So far with retirement I am filling out insurance transfer forms, etc. Go ahead and cull your email and make lists of people you will want to notify of a new email. I get to keep my Hendrix email so I can leisurely do that. Begin to unsubscribe from email listservs, etc. Will make it easier.

I have mainly taught 4th and 5th grade and mainly science. One year I was asked to teach 3rd grade but didn't like it. I have been in the same room for the last 14 years teaching 5th grade for the last 17 years. Actually I was in that room before for 6 years when I taught 4th grade. So in the 26 years I have been in the school, I have been in this room for 20 of the 26 years. Although I clean things out every year, I am slowly getting rid of things that I have not used or giving them to the two young teachers on my floor. That way in 4 years I will not have as much to clean.

This is fun, just discovered the 55+ group. I work in a school and will graduate with my 8th graders in June of 2018 (they are in the 5th grade now). DH reminded me that I embraced them when they entered:) kindergarten as "my" class. Seems a long way off but I have started counting down!

This is fun, just discovered the 55+ group. I work in a school and will graduate with my 8th graders in June of 2018 (they are in the 5th grade now). DH reminded me that I embraced them when they entered:) kindergarten as "my" class. Seems a long way off but I have started counting down!

Have you been teaching this same group since they started school. I know some places do that. And it's never too early to countdown:)

Bring a lot of Kleenex with you to the job! LOL Little ones always have running noses. I love my grandchildren but I know I could not have a whole classroom of prek.

I have grandkids that age also. But I will just be the aid, not the teacher. So wiping noses will probably be one of the things I do most, besides art, and teaching the sounds that the letters make. Just half a year....I can do it!!! They also take an hour nap...lol...I might get to nap too...lol;)

I taught a college class for freshmen each fall. I remember the year I told the freshmen when you graduate, I do too!

In the fall of 2012, when I hired my last student assistant. I said to him, so you graduate May of 2014. Answer:yes. Good, we will graduate together and we did. He got a doctoral fellowship at U of Tennessee in Chemistry.

I taught a college class for freshmen each fall. I remember the year I told the freshmen when you graduate, I do too!

In the fall of 2012, when I hired my last student assistant. I said to him, so you graduate May of 2014. Answer:yes. Good, we will graduate together and we did. He got a doctoral fellowship at U of Tennessee in Chemistry.

That's a neat story.

The reason I asked about staying with the class from k to 8th is because I met a teacher from Finland and that's what they do. Our classes wrote to each other and sent souvenirs from each other areas.

Met her at a Bryan Adams concert in New Orleans. She was going to walk to Bourbon St. From where the concert was so we walked with her ( a lot safer). I don't think she knew it wasn't too safe in the area.