Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

Well, today will not be too hard. We go to church with all the teachers from the Archdiocese of Washington at the Shrine in DC. Usually we get to go home after that but today we have a meeting because my principal has to take her daughter to college later in the week.

Next week, the kids come. I have 11 boys and 5 girls but I also see the other 5th grade class for science and social studies.

Congratulations on your retirement Priya2. Twenty more hump days for me, oh well, the time will pass quickly - I hope.

My husband has 4 working days left...then moving to Tennessee to start a new.life...I am getting scared....

So happy for you!!! No more humpdays for you!!!!!

Deb

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I retired after 20 years at an office type job in 2006 and then started cleaning houses.. for the past 8…I have a few clients left..this is.my.last work week before we move at the end of the.month...for us we are just not retiring we are LEAVING too which makes it more stressful for..me....husband cant wait!!! He is not stressed....!!!!

Can someone explain to me why people that retire sometimes sell their homes and move?? I'm sure there are many reasons, but leaving your home and family seems sort of sad to me. Am I missing something???:confused:

Deb

We aren't. All three of our grown children and grandchildren are within 15 mi of the house. House is paid for. Life is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think people who retire might move for any number of reasons:

They need to downsize to cut down on expenses and housing and cost of living in different locations comes into play.

They may need to sell their home to add monies to their retirement nest egg and pay cash for a home in lower cost of living area.

They may have spent years tied to a certain location due to jobs, family obligations, etc. But always dreamed of living in a different part of the country.

Sometimes they need a different climate for medical reasons. Sometimes they tire of the harsh winters up North and move where there is less chance of slipping on ice or driving in snow.

The list goes on. Sometimes moves are due to necessity and sometimes adventure.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

Can someone explain to me why people that retire sometimes sell their homes and move?? I'm sure there are many reasons, but leaving your home and family seems sort of sad to me. Am I missing something???:confused:

Deb

Deb,

Everyone has their own ideas of what retirement should be and for many different reasons.

We sold everything we owned home, autos, etc. We are homeless traveling the world. We left the USA on Jan 3, 2013 and yet to return. We are booked out till Oct. 2016. So far because cruise lines, airlines, rentals, don't & won't commit to pricing be on that.

There are too many reasons to post here.

My DW post a daily blog going back to March of 2012 as we prepared to start this journey. It's site is.

http://www.worldwidewaftage.com or if it gets edited.

www dot worldwidewaftage dot com

Maybe you can get some understanding of what our reasons and thinking was/are.

Tom,

Deb

As someone just said, there are many reasons that people move. My friends are moving back to be with their kids. Her parents up and moved to NC after they retired. I think if you are in a cold, high cost area money might be an answer.

Make an account at ssa.gov and you can do it all online. I did. First check in September.

Karen - I plan to stop on 10.30.14 and will get 2wks pay in Nov.

Do you know if I can/should be collecting prior to that date? I was 62 in May. Am I already missing out on some $$ this year? SS would NOT answer that question for me on the phone. I realize the amt will be smaller than if I wait til Nov but not significantly.

thanks

As someone just said, there are many reasons that people move. My friends are moving back to be with their kids. Her parents up and moved to NC after they retired. I think if you are in a cold, high cost area money might be an answer.

I LOVE my home - planned to live there til there was no living left - BUT - I've been in church ministry for 36 yrs and have no retirement. Cannot afford to stay in our home and NJ has taxed us out.

Retiring at 62 because DH has requested it - he is considerably older, went on disability 10 yrs ago and has been waiting for us to start 'living together'. He is tired of those long days. His health is no guarantee and he cannot tolerate the cold, hence, lower income, warmer climate and time together.

It will be difficult leaving a big family but seriously - their lives are very full. We are a nice addition but not a necessity. I know that sounds sad but it's okay - "We'll Be Back"!!:p

Deb

Some of my reasons are...

We are tired of Michigan weather

All our parents are gone..husband's sons don't talk to us at all... Thus grandkids are kept away..as for family I have my sister who I will miss..she is excited to visit

Hubby's pension is not taxed there...so far anyway!!

We have a beautiful house in Tennessee... Paid off..

My son lives in California

Believe me..I have gotten it from a lot of people how at 54 and 56 we are too young to retire...we are going to be bored homesick lonely etc etc etc... Frankly after 25 years as a police officer..my husband is burned out and he wants the country life..don't blame him....

We are originally from Wisconsin but have been in Maryland for 28 years. I have one son in Chicago and one son in San Antonio so we have family all over. My daughter and her family live about 10 minutes from us so I don't want to move even when I retire.

Between the traffic and the taxes in Montgomery County Maryland (DC suburbs) I can't wait to leave. There is a significant difference in cost of living in Delaware,and no sales tax. Real estate taxes are so much lower...and it wont take over an hour to drive 13 miles, my current commute to work in DC.

Just 8 more weeks: 25 work shifts and 15 vacation shifts...my last day is October 14. After 45 years of nursing my working days are numbered!

between the traffic and the taxes in montgomery county maryland (dc suburbs) i can't wait to leave. There is a significant difference in cost of living in delaware,and no sales tax. Real estate taxes are so much lower...and it wont take over an hour to drive 13 miles, my current commute to work in dc.

Just 8 more weeks: 25 work shifts and 15 vacation shifts...my last day is october 14. After 45 years of nursing my working days are numbered!

congratulations!!!!

Karen - I plan to stop on 10.30.14 and will get 2wks pay in Nov.

Do you know if I can/should be collecting prior to that date? I was 62 in May. Am I already missing out on some $$ this year? SS would NOT answer that question for me on the phone. I realize the amt will be smaller than if I wait til Nov but not significantly.

thanks

Is your two weeks pay in November vacation pay or pay from working?

Yes you could have started drawing SS in July. You have to wait until you have been 62 a month and then they pay you the month after that. The max you could have earned for the rest of this year is 1390 per month, gross. If you make more than that you have to give money back to SS. That 1390 is a per month just for a partial year. Next year you can make $15K per year and there's not a monthly max, just a total, and draw your SS.

All this info is at the ssa.gov page. I just had to read and read.

Wow!!! Everyone has great reasons for moving or staying in the same place after retirement. All very interesting and well thought out! Well I would miss my son and young grandkids a lot (one due in November), my close friends, my house, Louisiana's warm but humid weather. My husband is in the seafood business and can't do that just anywhere...and he said he is not retiring...lol.

Well to all on the board...Happy Hump Day tomorrow. 17 more for me!!1408499524393.jpg.3f65c53a9d9338707a2749b5e413ace7.jpg

Deb

Between the traffic and the taxes in Montgomery County Maryland (DC suburbs) I can't wait to leave. There is a significant difference in cost of living in Delaware,and no sales tax. Real estate taxes are so much lower...and it wont take over an hour to drive 13 miles, my current commute to work in DC.

Just 8 more weeks: 25 work shifts and 15 vacation shifts...my last day is October 14. After 45 years of nursing my working days are numbered!

When we left Wisconsin 28 years ago, we were happy to pay the property taxes in Maryland because they were lower. Sales taxes in Chicago and San Antonio much higher, although Texas has no state tax. So you have to play the game and go with what makes you happy. We don't drive a lot and we have a hybrid car so we get our gas in PG county about every 3 weeks. I live about 10 minutes from the school that I teach in so traffic is not bad. I do have to pick up my grandchildren at times in Laurel which when the weather is bad can be challenging.

My son and daughter-in-law are both nurses. My son worked at Walter Reed Hospital (or Wallyworld as they called it) when he was stationed here. His wife worked at Children's Hospital. They lived in Silver Spring not far from us but I don't remember how long it took them to get there. My son had to help out at the Pentagon a couple of days after 911 to care for the workers who were doing clean up.

If everything goes to plan I will be taking the 'retire and return' scheme at the beginning of 2015. I will get my UK state pension in a couple of weeks, and the winter fuel allowance this year. I am applying to take my occupational pension from the beginning of January, and going back to work three days a week. I need the extra cash from working, and would get bored if I didn't have that to do.

With my Epic transatlantic and Braemar mini-cruise as well as Christmas preparations, it doesn't seem that far off!

If everything goes to plan I will be taking the 'retire and return' scheme at the beginning of 2015. I will get my UK state pension in a couple of weeks, and the winter fuel allowance this year. I am applying to take my occupational pension from the beginning of January, and going back to work three days a week. I need the extra cash from working, and would get bored if I didn't have that to do.

With my Epic transatlantic and Braemar mini-cruise as well as Christmas preparations, it doesn't seem that far off!

could you explain what the winter fuel allowance is?? What kind of health care do you have? Trying to see the differences in countries. I will work part time when I retire for the same reasons.

Actually school starts for the students on Monday. I am ready.

Video from storm at sea as we crossed the Atlantic ocean in April 2013 aboard the Norwegian Epic. The waves were 50 feet, 16.5 meters.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=286522901516019&set=vb.100004749337727&type=2&theater

http://www.worldwidewaftage.com

could you explain what the winter fuel allowance is?? What kind of health care do you have? Trying to see the differences in countries. I will work part time when I retire for the same reasons.

Actually school starts for the students on Monday. I am ready.

I live in the UK. I have put in a claim for my state pension as I am eligible to receive it soon. Anyone claiming state pension during a qualifying period receives a one off payment towards cost of heating in the winter. I will also be able to claim a bus pass for free travel at certain times of the day. I think I will be able to use that anywhere in England, but not Wales or Scotland.

Everyone pays national insurance, which goes towards all social security benefits.

There are some advantages to getting older! I have been getting free prescriptions since I was 60. It's good to get into the cinema etc at a discounted rate.

We sold our home. It was big, 4000sq. feet and only the two of us. We wanted to travel. Sold it, put everything in storage (8X8X16 container), and travelled for seven months. We only used 3 rooms so why pay the taxes, utilities, and insurance.

Feels so liberating to downsize

Back now, renting. Looking to buy a condo or something that we can lock the door and walk away from. Next five out of seven months we will be travelling so that purchase may have to wait until next spring.

Moving away from our children? One has moved away. The other is back in town but has worked overseas. Who knows where he and his SO will end up.

We may in fact continue to rent and buy something in a warmer climate instead.

Got information on my pension yesterday -- looks like I filled out all the paperwork correctly! Now have to figure out the Medicare for DH starting in December. Then nothing else to do until I turn 65 next October. Whew!! There is a lot to do but now the payments will be automatically deposited into my checking account. That sounds nice:)

BTW, went to what would have been my new school last week. The school is beautiful and, for a change, nothing was skimped on the classrooms. But everyone was going crazy! Schedules for teachers seem to be changing on the hour, no paper of any kind, no working copiers or printers, technology all messed up. I left with a smile on my face making sure that no one could see! Katherine