Hello from Carnival Dream & some stuff

CruiseIsGood

I haven't cruised Carnival in a few years and read some threads before I left, so I'd like to let you know how it's going.

There was a Captain's Party first Formal night and lots of free drinks. There is a past guest party (all 1800 or so of us) tonight and I did get a pin.

The food is still fantastic, although I agree the flat iron steak was eh. I can cook steak at home so I don't care. It's all very different from a few years ago though. My favorite smoked duck appetizer isn't smoked anymore and isn't the same, but I'm sure not starving!

Todd Wittmer has been great and he's all over the ship but seriously, it's a HUGE HUGE ship. And he has a ton of responsibility, including the Morning Show with James, which actually had me laughing out loud alone in my cabin this morning. They have a strange but unique chemistry. He also said he was up until 3am doing the Capers. I didn't know he did those too. His shore talks have been amazing. He talks fast but wow, he has so much information to give. The vaporetto advice in Venice really almost saved my vacation.

Have I mentioned that this ship is big?

I did the Behind the Fun tour this morning, and it was four hours long and we went up and down 15 flights of stairs and fore to aft about five times, and this ship is 1,000 feet long. Highly recommended, but bring comfy shoes!!

I'm travelling solo, so for me, I think the ship is too big. I've met about 400 couples but then rarely ever see them again! As always, Carnival was good about seating me for dinner with other solo travellers, and that has been a highlight.

The only place I've heard of cutbacks is the bar staff, one complaint about being way overworked, and they have cut the number of dancers for a production show that should have more. But I don't really see it anywhere.

The new things I love are the "At a Glance" tear-out in the Capers, and this cute little Fun Hub rental. $9 a day, and I don't have to lug a laptop through the airport. I've had it two days and will probably return it and just use one of the many unoccupied Fun Hub terminals around the ship. I've never seen them all full. Internet here is FAST. So I don't feel like I wasted money on purchasing time. And I type really fast. :)

I'm sure the other 100 or so in our Cruise Critic group will have lots more to say.

Oh, and again, if you look at the floor plans and aft 6's look bigger than fore 6's? They ARE. I saw a fore and I have 1428, aft. They have a normal window. I have a window sill so deep that I can sit on it and have my morning coffee while watching us pull into port. And I am not a small woman. If you see something on the plans that looks better than something else, it usually is.

Denise

Thanks for all the info - I am still concerned about our aft wrap room. We are in one of the ones that is in question.

Lois:)

Tricee from Cruise Critic organized a room crawl, and I saw an aft wrap. I forget what floor but it was really really nice. Totally not the same as an aft wrap on Carnival Spirit, but very nice. Maybe if you post on our roll call you'll get more info. We're the 10/3 Back of the Bus group.

All the rooms we saw on the crawl were very nice. All the way from an inside to a 12. All wonderful. No worries!

Denise

Thank you so much to take the time to post about the Dream. We are going Nov 15th from NY. It sounds like you are having a great time. Happy Sailing!

Bring COMFY SHOES! Did I mention it's a big ship? I miss my Crocs so much. Between all of the shore tours and walking around the ship, then a sea day of room crawl and another sea day of Behind the Fun, this is about the first time I've sat down for a significant length of time. Oof.

Denise...thanks for taking time out of your cruise to post on here.

YOU ROCK....

if you run into someone with an INTERIOR Spa cabin...I would LOVE pictures.

We will be in 11223 December 3rd and I am a little apprehensive about the size of the room for 3 people.

Will it be tiny like the Miracle or managable like the Fantasy?????

Praying for the latter...

May the rest of the cruise be as delightful as you are!!!

One more thing...was it the traditional RED funnel pin or the gold ones like they sell in the gift shops now???

Denise...thanks for taking time out of your cruise to post on here.

YOU ROCK....

if you run into someone with an INTERIOR Spa cabin...I would LOVE pictures.

One more thing...was it the traditional RED funnel pin or the gold ones like they sell in the gift shops now???

Traditional red. I'm sure you guys all know that John Heald reads your complaints and responds - maybe this is the first response to this concern. He sure hooked us up with a wonderful CC party!

I saw a balcony spa cabin but also some bunk bed cabins and I have a pull out sofa cabin (why? It was the last non-interior cabin left when I booked so I took it!) and they're all good. Seriously. You're never going to get luxury hotel-like inside rooms, but hey, you really won't be there much. I wish I was in mine more. My feet hurt. :)

Denise

Thanks for your quick review! I check like 50 times a day to see if anybody has posted a new review. If you see an Cove Balcony I would love to see pictures as well. :p Thanks again!

I don't know what a cove balcony is. If you want to give me some room numbers, I can knock on doors. heeeee. Seriously. We're all so happy to be here, everyone is really nice.

I don't know what a cove balcony is. If you want to give me some room numbers, I can knock on doors. heeeee. Seriously. We're all so happy to be here, everyone is really nice.

The cove balcony cabins are unique to the Dream (and I am guessing will also be on the Magic)...

I believe they are on Deck 2...and everyone jokes about bringing a fishing pole because you are so close to the water!!

Their balconies have a special door that can be closed in case of rough seas.

Just back from dinner after the past guest party. Booze flowing freely.

I think maybe if you are seeing cut-backs on cruises they are discounting to like $300/room it makes sense? We all paid a lot more for Europe and they're really treating us well so far.

Deck 2 balconies fore or aft? I don't want to waste minutes looking up the ship plans. Give me a number. Thanks.

Denise

Archived