just booked with Gerry.... what do you suggest is a must see?

hibiscus27

Bwo706 do you recall seeing any cream of tequila at the factory? Also, are there some unique tequila that you will find only at the factory and not at the pier area? I would hate to pass on something that was only available at the factory. Was the pricing good there also?

Thanks for all the great info and keep it coming!!

First, as was stated earlier and again by Traveler353, it isn't a working factory, but was certainly amusing. There was a cream tequila that we tried. We mixed it with the coffee (or even almond) flavored tequila and my friends said it was pretty similar to Baileys. I can tell you though that it was delicious. They did tell us that the tequila is sold in a storefront downtown as well, but we didn't go as we purchased ours at the factory. The pricing was pretty good, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. I'm thinking the 750mL was about $28, but can't guarantee it. This time, we are headed to the storefront and will skip the "tour." While the tour was ok, the tequila tasting and purchasing was the best part!

Thanks for all the info -- we are a group of 6 and just booked the mini van with Gerry. Can't wait.

Irene

Irene, are you there in January? Don't run him ragged:eek: We're right behind you on the booking schedule:D Tell him Stephen is coming, get ready to drive!:)

We just returned a couple of weeks ago from our tour with Gerry and we had a great time. I would limit the time spent "In town " if we were to go again and spend a bit more time on the windy side of the island. Gerry is a great guide, good with English and a very safe and sane driver. He can take you where your interests are, if you just arrange it with him. He has lived on the island for years and knows it well, so just email him with your interests and take it from there.

We thought the ruins were fine but not spectacular. We skipped the tequela "factory". Spent some time taking pics on the beaches on the windy side.

Playa Bonita is his recommendation for lunch and we thought the food was good and the view was spectacular. Good Tequela too....

Make certain to get him to sing for you. Gerry has a great voice!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm also booked on a tour with Gary,but not until March 2010. While I been to Cozumel several times, this will be the first time that I will go away from the main tourist spot. I'm also going with a first time cruiser and felt that this is a great way for her to view Cozumel also.

Bunyababy your tour is alot closer than mine and it seems like we have the same idea on what to do for the day. Please come back and post a review about the tour so I can show my friend.

Bwo706 do you recall seeing any cream of tequila at the factory? Also, are there some unique tequila that you will find only at the factory and not at the pier area? I would hate to pass on something that was only available at the factory. Was the pricing good there also?

Thanks Chloedmom and Crewsweeper for the church suggestion. I will ask Gerry about making a stop at San Miguel. Also,Crewsweeper, the place that you mention, El Turix, did it offer a full dining menu? I would love to try the zodo and any other local foods.

I will like to stop at San Gervasio mainly because the person that I'm traveling with is not a big ruin fan, but if it offers a decent photo op, this will be fine!

Thanks for all the great info and keep it coming!!

airlinkdiva....I would be happy to post a review of our tour once we get back!

Smiles,Connie

Irene, are you there in January? Don't run him ragged:eek: We're right behind you on the booking schedule:D Tell him Stephen is coming, get ready to drive!:)

We just returned from our 11/15/09 LOS cruise - We were in Cozumel on Thursday 11/19. Gerry is wonderful. We did the Tequilla Factory. Lots of fun. (beware of the flies).. We walked the beach, made a few photo stops. If you want to go shopping tell him what you are looking for and he will take you to the right shop. If you like Black Coral he will take you to a shop of the main road. Great shop, great prices. We had lunch at Palancar Beach Club. Nice beach, beautiful water, good food, great drinks, but again too many flies. We still had a great time. And yes, have Gerry sing for you.

We were a group of 6. We had a mini van, When we stopped he kept it running so the air would always be on.

Great trip, you will love him

Irene

• 2 months later...
I emailed to try and get a tour with Gerry and he was booked. Mike responded that Cantaro was available. Has anyone toured with him? Apparently he works for the same company as Gerry.

Carol

One thing that I found is alot of the good local guides will work together and suggest each other if they are booked.

We just got back from our day with Gerry and had a great time! He really takes his time to ensure that we were able to see and do everything we wanted. We met him right on time where he said he would be at 10:30.

We started the day by stopping by Mega and picking up some beer and water for the day. He helped us pick out some different salsa to take home for friends to try. We toured around the airport area and looked at the residential areas (we love to look at houses) We stopped by the cathedral in town and then went to the tequilla factory.

For lunch we went to Playa Bonita and had the best garlic shrimp I have ever tasted! Margarittas were great and the view spectacular. We stopped at a road side area and picked up some small pictures made by a gentleman who used his fingers to do the oil paintings.

We made our way down the east side and stopped for photos and picked up shells ending up at Mr Sanchos to use the facilities and see what it was all about. We ended our day around 4pm.

Can't recommend his services highly enough! He was by our side the entire time and made sure that we were enjoying our day. No worries with Gerry! We will definately book with him again when we are on the island!

the ruins in coxumel are very small,,,, not worth it i have seen others and was very disapointed.......i wouldn't take the time unless you can't ruins anywhere else.....cathy

I know that the ruins are small compared to others in the various ports, but the person that I'm sailing with have little interest in such. I figured that this will be a nice photo ops and take about a hour to view.

• 2 weeks later...

Based on CC recommendations we booked with Gerry and toured Cozumel with him last week. The recommendations were spot on.

Although Gerry costs a bit more than just picking up a taxi, you get a real English speaking guide who knows Cozumel and takes you where you want to go very safely plus adding excellent recommendations.

Also, as an added treat be sure to ask Gerry to sing for you.

Gerry has a car and a van. I believe the van is a 9 passenger.

You can get all the information by sending an email to Mike who handles his bookings at:

cozumeltaxi@hotmail.com<cozumeltaxi@hotmail.com>;

We booked with Gerry for September and were told he had a 4 passenger station wagon for $95 for first 3 hours and $25 each hour thereafter or, alternatively he would hire an 8 passenger van for $195 + $40 thereafter.

What is the max # of people for Gerry?

We had Gerry in the van because his waggon was being worked on. It's a 9 pax van but I'd say more than 6 would be a little crowded.

Some one asked about Cantaro. Cantaro and Lazaro both work with Gerry when he's booked and get very good reports. I suggest if you're are large group, you write Mike and see if you can book both the wagon and the van. Gerry will have either Cantaro or Lazaro drive the van.

We have booked Gerry as our driver on May 15th and are really looking forward to a much different time in Cozumel.:D After reading all of the posts about Playa Bonita, I'm sure that is where we will have lunch. Can someone tell me where playa Bonita is located? I have tried to find it on Google Earth to see if anyone had uploaded any photos of it, but could not find any.

How quick does Mike usually reply? I emailed him and have not heard back :confused:

Mike usually replies in less than 48 hours. I just booked Gerry for the second time for May 13. We used him in Dec. too. He is a really nice guy. We met his two daughters who were so cute. He used the van even though we booked the car (no extra charge). Gerry is very interesting and loves Cozumel. He mentioned he works for someone since the taxi license is $100,000 US.

:( Gerry is already booked. I was told I could hire Antonio (his mother is the head librarian for the Island). Mike says that he has just started working with Antonio. He charges $270 for a 5 hour tour in a van, there was no 3 hour option. Anybody out there ever heard of him?

Thanks,

Kealhi

Archived