Need help with Lamanaia tour

CathyG

We have booked this excursion thru RCCL and are really looking forward to it. However, I have a difficult time walking and was wondering if I could bring my walker on the boat ride and how hard/easy it would be to maneuver on the grounds. I did try to find out this info under the Disabled section but the only thing that came up was Antigua. Strange.

Thanks for any help.

Cathy

We toured Lamanai through NCL in April. The walker would probably fit on the boat but it could be tight depending on how many passengers there are. However, using a walker on the grounds will be very difficult. It is not level or paved. There are many tree roots that poke through the earth & you have to be careful when walking so you don't trip. We had one person (not using a walker) who had a hard time walking who had to turn around & head back to the boat area very early on the tour, so they missed pretty much all of the tour ... I don't think they even made it to the 1st structure.

I don't want to discourage you because it is a really neat place to tour but I want you to know that it WILL be hard w/ a walker. If it had rained prior to your visit it will also be muddy in spots.

Thanks BonnieVA. The pictures we saw looked relatively smooth but hard to tell about the roots sticking up. Is there a lot of walking? I'm thinking that there is. How far do you have to walk to the first structure from the boat?

Thanks again.

Cathy

Is there a lot of walking? I'm thinking that there is. How far do you have to walk to the first structure from the boat?

Oh, it's so hard for me to tell how far we walked. I work out 7x/week, which includes 4 days of a 5 mile power walk so Lam really didn't seem like a lot of walking to me. And we walked kind of slowly through the forest so it probably wasn't all that far. Some people did seem tired, though.

Hmm ... I'll guess that it was .25 miles to the 1st structure???? Then maybe about .33 to the biggest structure???? And then maybe .25 to the final structure, which is right near the boat area????

Another thing I'm remembering is the crude pier/walkway up to the land from the boat when you first arrive at Lam. It is quite steep. It's short but steep. I don't know the level of your mobility so I don't know how that would affect you.

Is there anyone else who can chime in here? Usually there are a bunch of people who talk about Lam. Where is everyone?

the walkway/pier from the boat to lamanai is just wood and you have to step over to it. the boat driver and tour guide were trying to help everyone. but it's hard to do if you have mobility problems.

there is a walkway from the boat dock to the lunch area and over to the bathrooms/visitor center. after that the walk is on VERY uneven ground. you need to step over/around logs that are placed to be steps in one area. up stone steps in another, over slippery rocks and very careful over areas with roots in the path.

if about a mile to mile 1/2 around the whole area. getting to the 1st site is the hardest..from the 2nd site to the last one is over a green grassy area.

the boat dock/rest area, the ball court, the grassy area to the last site, the path from the boat dock (at lamanai) and the steps up to the mask temple.

1062400588_Tourboatforriverpart.jpg.de5e87b4d10d252c75183b835d74a178.jpg

590396728_ballcourtwithcenterstone.jpg.b75512e4ae3e9556f83751eb8c5a6214.jpg

1702669191_beautifulday.jpg.518d1a392e0a4aed4f7da7696b537b71.jpg

1697279241_enteringLamanai.jpg.9c0d9d329706f9c5600a8268471bd2f0.jpg

809911034_UptotheMaskTemple.jpg.10af7b5e375e316e814df6cd01cdb442.jpg

I remember one part of Lamanai, after you pass the 1st temple and walk across a grassy area, where you had to get up over a stone wall or maybe it was steep steps but whatever it is I think will be difficult to manage with a walker. You probably would need assistance. I have a very bad leg, don't use a walker, but it wasn't the easiest tour, although I made it through okay, just trailed behind a bit when we were leaving. But it was a wonderful tour. Even the boatride to the ruins was very exciting.

Archived