Feeling Ship Movement on Higher Levels?

teacher2cruiser

I've never had a problem with cabin movement, and that has been on deck 8 and 9, two of them afts. Mind you, I can ride a roller coaster right after a heavy lunch!:rolleyes:

If the movement really bothers you, stick to the middle of the ship.;)

We were on Deck 10 of Freedom. All the way forward. It's the only time I've been able to feel a ship moving but we WERE sailing towards a hurricane so that could be just as much the reason for the movement. It wasn't enough to make me sick nor anyone else I noticed.

For movement issues stay low and amidships. We just got off the Triumph and were amidships on the 8th floor. I must say we felt little movement even though the seas at times were choppy. BTW last Feb. we were on the Island Princess and hit one rough day and boy oh boy the movement was much more noticeable even though we were similarly situated.

You will feel movement on the higher decks, especially if you are towrds the front or rear of the ship. I have stayed on the Panoramic deck, Verandah, Riviera, Main and the Upper. Panoramic and Verandah, felt lots of movement. We were towrds the front of the ship. Main deck we were towards the back, could feel a little movement, but more like a gentle rocking to sleep every night. Riviera and Upper we felt hardly any. Riviera we were towrds mid ship, Upper towrds the back.

Stayed on deck 11 spa on the conquest. Definite movement but it didnt bother me. It did bother my son and made him nervous (he has ocd and worries alot) so now we stay on lower decks. We are on the upper deck on the Ecstasy next month but aft so not sure about movement.

Ever notice how the tree branches are swaying and the trunk of the tree is stable? Same concept on a ship. The higher the deck the more the sway. But many cruisers will pay extra for a high deck for the view. The lower decks always give the most stable ride. You just have to decide what is right for you. The view or the comfort.

It matters to us. We stay as low on the ship as possible for that exact reason. We like taking cruises on the smaller ships that sail out of California and we usually travel in the winter, with so-so weather. On our last cruise, we were watching the show and felt like we were sitting in a dingy. It was really rockin'! We went down to our room and you could barely tell. However, on our Valor cruise in the Eastern Caribbean, we felt nothing. That was also as we sailed around a couple of hurricanes. Bottom line, big ships, calmer waters, and lower decks will be the smoothest.

I too was a little worried about motion when we booked on deck 11 forward on the Freedom- but did not notice anything significant thoughout the entire cruise. Overall, seas were calm as we departed out of Florida and did E. Car.

As a matter of fact, as we were leaving one port the ship made an emergency turn which resulted in a list that flooded the pool decks and knocked over displays in the shops- during this time I was in the bathroom washing my daughter's hair and only noticed the water was not draining properly.

I would not hesitate to book a higher deck cabin again.

Upper floors? Do you feel more movement? I think the highest level we've been on thus far is 8. Is there more feeling of movement the higher you go?

I've been on deck 8 and as far down as 1. I belive the secret to not feeling movement is being mid ship, not at the bow or stern. This has been my experience. Never felt a thing. Felt more during the day in rough seas walking around. :eek:

We were on the Legend in a balcony cabin in the ship center on a high deck and hit some rough weather and felt a lot of swaying, but the views were great. I like a lower deck on most ships. I like to stay in the middle of the ship too because there's less motion.

Archived