Need opinion - Grandeur or Carnival Sensation?

momto2

I sailed on Sensation back in April of 2000. Terrific cruise in every way. Beautiful ship,and great food and crew. Of course a lot can change in over 4 years. I will be sailing on Grandeur this July,so can't comment on her yet personally. I have heard mostly good things about her.

We had a great time on both ships but prefer the Grandeur overall due to its more elegant decor and better service. The Sensation has slightly more food options and we love the outdoor tables at the stern of the ship (Lido deck), but we found the Grandeur to be a step up in the overall cruise experience. Keep in mind that the Grandeur does 7-day sailings and the Sensation does 4 or 5-day sailings. If the prices are similar I would choose the Grandeur.

Thanks for your responses. I am little wary of the Grandeur since I read on a number of the posts that it seems to be showing more wear and in need of refurbishment. Food Quality consistently seems to be lower according to posts.

Prices for both are close. I would say that generally speaking, RCI may be a better cruise but I am concerned about why a 7 day would be the same price as a 5 dy cruise,nless the ship is not up to par.

I am traveling with 2 10yo boys and 3 13yo girls. Would this make a difference in you recommendations? TIA!

The Grandeur is actually a newer ship than the Sensation. Both ships are showing some minimal wear and tear, as expected with ships that were built in the early(Sensation) and mid-90's(Grandeur). We don't go on cruises carrying a magnifying glass and looking for cosmetic flaws, so the small stains or tears on furniture and carpeting did not bother us on either ship. If those are the kind of things that would bother you I would recommend going on one of the newly-launched ships from RCCL or Carnival since their cosmetic condition would be much better due to their newness. We found the quality and taste of the food to be equivalent on both vessels, but RCCL did a better job with its presentation. Service was good on both ships but I would have to say the crew on the Grandeur was friendlier and more polished. The cabins on the Sensation were larger but the ones on the Grandeur had more storage space. Neither ship is going to have the children's facilities that a Voyager-class or Conquest-class ship has, so I would consider the children's activities to be a tossup. The average passenger age on the Grandeur was noticeably older than on the Sensation. RCCL does a much better job than Carnival during the embarkation process, avoiding the game of musical chairs that Carnival seems to be so fond of at the New Orleans terminal. Taking everything into account, I would jump on the seven-day cruise if the price is similar to the five-day cruise you're considering.

Don't worry about the condition of the Grandeur - I was on it 5 mo. ago, and it is a beautiful ship. I don't know why some cruisers seem to have a fixation with a ship being in absolutely new condition, I guess they are comparing to the latest Voyager class ships, etc. The Grandeur is 8 years old now, and is in just as good condition as a very well kept hotel of similar age.

We were on Sensation out of Tampa in July. We had a great time. The decor is very purple and very 80s style, in a fun retro kind of way. I haven't been on Grandeur, but for the same money I would definitely do the 7-day.

I've been on both and I would go with the Grandeur. You really need to decide what type of cruise experience you are looking for as there are some differences between Carnival and RCCL. If you think you would be happy on either cruise line go with RCCL.

Archived