Powdered Eggs For Breakfast?

nycruise

At home, I typically eat eggs every morning - so last week on Liberty, was not too keen on the look of the scrambled eggs, I opted for the boiled eggs available every morning placed just beside the scrambled - you peel. I was pleased, I did not recall boiled eggs being available on previous cruises. I much preferred those to the scrambled...

At your location on the ships ..Ask for Real Eggs if thats what yoiu want. I do.

One thing too be careful of consumption of too many chicken eggs.

Ask any dietichian (sp) they will tell you like any druggist does... The Truth.

:eek:

Same as on drink water aboard it is loaded with high sodium levels. As they use sea water and desalinate that....:eek:

I remember have scrambled eggs that seemed to be powdered. Can't remember if it was on the Carnival Freedom or RCCL Independence O/S. :confused:

Are the scrambled eggs on Carnival powdered?

I remember have scrambled eggs that seemed to be powdered. Can't remember if it was on the Carnival Freedom or RCCL Independence O/S. :confused:

Are the scrambled eggs on Carnival powdered?

This question was asked of the head chef during our recent "Behind The Scenes Tour" on the Liberty. He assured us that they do not use powdered eggs - only fresh - and they use a lot of them.

DH asked on our last cruise why the eggs are grainy and was advised they add baking soda to increase the volume of scrambled eggs.

That is probably true but I doubt they are made with fresh eggs anyway. I tried at home using a touch of baking soda to see and the eggs did indeed fluff up much more however they were not grainy like the Lido buffet eggs.

Interesting all these answers.

All I know if when they talk about the statistics of how many of everything they serve on board, they always mention an egg count.

But they always crack these white oval things, where some white and yellow goo drops out, when I order my "over easy" eggs at the omelete station.

I can definately say the eggs on the Holiday are fresh.

They keep chickens onboard to lay the eggs as well as cows and goats for fresh milk. Some times the chickens & livestock get loose and the kitchen staff have to chase them down the decks.

One reason why the Holiday is such a Ma & Pa Kettle type cruise. Besides it makes some passengers feel right at home.:p

The last time I was on the Holiday, while in Mobile Bay, they let me throw my cast net off the back to catch fresh mullet to fry on Formal night! Best dinner we had the whole trip!

They are not powdered, but they are prepared. The ships buy them in cartons like milk, already shelled and scrambled.

Yup eggbeaters, but probably not the brand name, the "other guys" are cheaper and taste the same. Still yucko when scrambled, good when omletified (made up my own word cause I'm like that) :D

when i worked in a popular neighborhood grill and bar and we used to serve sunday brunch we used a prescrambled egg for our scrambles and omelettes. Egg beaters are a bit different i thought? less cholesterol or something?

I don't mind the powdered eggs

The times I have been on ship the scrambled eggs were fixed by pouring the liquid mix out of a carton onto the grill. It is then folded over a couple of times and chopped before being put in the stainless steel pans.

The difference between powdered and liquid eggs is that powdered you have to add water or milk while the liquid egg is ready to use from the carton.

Dave

Am I the only one who doesn't know what powdered eggs are? :confused:

It is when you take talcum powder, turn the egg over and powder its backside. :p

Powdered eggs are fully dehydrated eggs. They are made in a spray dryer in the same way that powdered milk is made. The major advantages of powdered eggs over fresh eggs are the price, reduced weight per volume of whole egg equivalent, and the shelf life which, when properly sealed, can be 5 to 10 years.

Dave

At your location on the ships ..Ask for Real Eggs if thats what yoiu want. I do.

One thing too be careful of consumption of too many chicken eggs.

Ask any dietichian (sp) they will tell you like any druggist does... The Truth.

:eek:

Same as on drink water aboard it is loaded with high sodium levels. As they use sea water and desalinate that....:eek:

Your comment about drinking water onboard is not true. It is fresh -not desalinated. The desalinated water is in your sink and shower. This is why I use bottled water to brush my teeth - not that sink desalinated water is unsafe to drink..it is quite safe - but because fresh water tastes better. For me, anyway. The ice water stations and drinking fountains use fresh water. This is where I fill my empty water bottles. All cruise ships desalinate sea water, for use in showers, sinks, pools, laundry, washing dishes and cookware, etc.

Your comment about drinking water onboard is not true. It is fresh -not desalinated. The desalinated water is in your sink and shower. This is why I use bottled water to brush my teeth - not that sink desalinated water is unsafe to drink..it is quite safe - but because fresh water tastes better. For me, anyway. The ice water stations and drinking fountains use fresh water. This is where I fill my empty water bottles. All cruise ships desalinate sea water, for use in showers, sinks, pools, laundry, washing dishes and cookware, etc.

The ship uses a reverse osmosis system to make fresh water. That water is used throughout the ship to include the drinking water. The ship can also take on fresh water while at the embarkation port but it goes into the same tank.

Here is a statement from an article about the Independence of the Seas.

For example, all fresh water used on the ship comes directly from the sea thanks to a very large and advanced water purification system.

"You can make 1,200 tons of fresh water from the sea every day with this system."

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20090902/ARTICLES/909024008?Title=World-s-biggest-cruise-ship-belongs-to-Royal-Caribbean-for-now

Dave

Archived