Diving in Freeport and Nassau - Wetsuit?

divinmule

I was in the Bahamas last November and dove Nassa and Freeport.Water temps were in the high 70's. A cold front followed our ship all week and the daytime high in Freeport was 60 chilly degrees the day we were there.I used a 3 ML wetsit and was fine in the water---wish I had my coat when I got out. Have a great time and say hello to the sharks !

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Anybody been diving lately in Nassau?

What was the water temp? Viz?

We are going with Carnival to Freeport and Nassau and have schedule dives in both ports.

Any updates to this? Will be in Freeport and Nassau in April...planning on a 1mm suit.

Thanks.

I dove nassau Jan. 29th. The day was in the 70's. The second dive at a depth of 45' the temperature on my computer said 69 degrees. Stay still too long and my arm got a little chilly. I live in Florida so I have very thin blood. I wear a 4/3 all year round. When I was in Freeport in June of last year, it was perfect. A dive ended up being a shark dive, not just a reef. We swam around the reef and near the end we saw about 6-8 Carribean Reef sharks. Scared at first, then relaxed, way too cool. I enjoyed freeport better than Nassau. The dive operators let you take one step up the ladder and remove all your gear, carry it to your seat for you. Nassau has one dive operator, sometimes great, sometimes not.

terri

I dove nassau Jan. 29th. The day was in the 70's. The second dive at a depth of 45' the temperature on my computer said 69 degrees. Stay still too long and my arm got a little chilly. I live in Florida so I have very thin blood. I wear a 4/3 all year round. When I was in Freeport in June of last year, it was perfect. A dive ended up being a shark dive, not just a reef. We swam around the reef and near the end we saw about 6-8 Carribean Reef sharks. Scared at first, then relaxed, way too cool. I enjoyed freeport better than Nassau. The dive operators let you take one step up the ladder and remove all your gear, carry it to your seat for you. Nassau has one dive operator, sometimes great, sometimes not.

terri

Looks like the 1mm should be okay in April, no? I'll bring hoody vest to layer, just in case. What dive shop did you use in Freeport? If you don't mind my asking. Thanks.

Archived