June 2 Holiday in Italy

footer6

:eek::(

We're booked for a June 4 Eastern Med cruise, and plan to arrive in Rome on June 2. June 2 is a major holiday in Italy. Is anyone familiar with what will be open and closed on that date?

My wife and I were on the Millennium in 2007 and we also were in Rome on June 2nd.

It wasn't a problem with things being closed; rather the problem was everything was open and some things were free of charge, like the coliseum.

Crowds were enormous. Our private driver needed to avoid parade routes and had difficulty parking. It was quite chaotic, and we never got to see St. Peters nor could we wait long enough for the coliseum.

I'm hoping that someone can give you a more coherent answer; but if I had to do June 2nd all over, I would manage my expectations and not try to do too much.

Thanks for the information. I was worried when I saw June 2 is a holiday. The only thing that makes a bigger mess than Italians on strike is when they decide to have a parade. I imagine it will be quite a scene once we get where we're going.

We had a completely different experience during the holiday this past June. We were leaving Rome to drive to Tuscany and it was a blessing that the roads were not crowded because everyone was at home watching the parade or actually participating at the parade. I wouldn't let this change your plans. If anything, it is a bit more insight into the culture.

Archived