Wines Offerings

DisneyJen

Since there has been some recent discussion in several threads about the wines on SD I though I would start a new thread where we can share what info we have on wines on SD.

The following is from our March 6 to 14, 2009 cruise on SD2

Each night on the cover the menu is listed the following:

"Our Sommelier Ferenc Kis recommends this evening...."

And then the wines are listed.

"Our Sommelier has an excellent selection of Old World and New World wines from our celllars on the Wine List, which Ferenc will be delighted to leave with you for your perusal and choice."

The wines offered during our cruise were by night:

2002 Chalk Hill Chardonnay, Napa Valley - $75

2001 Louis Jadot Chevalier-Montrachet, Burgundy - $297

2004 Tenuta Dell Ormellaia, Tuscany - $222

2002 Chateau Leoville-Poyferre 2 eme Grand Cru, St. Julien - $145

2001 O Leflaive Meursault, Burgundy - $56

2004 Far Niente Chardonnay, Napa Valley - $82

2004 Chateau Beychevelle, Bordeaux - $85

2004 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir, Russian River Valley - $125

2004 Bienvenues-Batard Montrachet Grand Cru O Leflaive, Burgundy - $225

2004 Far Niente Chardonnay, Napa Valley - $82

2001 Louis Jadot Vosne Romanee, Burgundy - $76

2001 Chateau Bahans de Haut-Brion, Graves - $132

2003 Castello della Sala, Antinori Chardonnay, Italy - $39

2003 Leon Beyer Tokay Pinot Gris, Alsace - $38

2005 Tignanello, Tuscany, Antinori, Italy - $126

2002 Solaia Marchesi Antinori, Italy - $186

2004 Rio Vivo, Casablance Valley Chardonnay, Chile - $28

2003 Louis Jadot Puligny-Montrachet Folatieres, France - $123

1999 Almaviva Cabernet Sauvignon, Chile - $117

1999 Te Mata Estate Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot, New Zealand - $104

Pommery Brut Apagnage Champagne - $55

2006 Meursault-Perrieres, 1st Cru Burgundy O Leflaive - $123

2002 Heitz Cellar, Marthas Vineyard Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon - $161

1999 (375 ml) Chateau d'Yquem - $198

2006 Puligny-Montrachet, Olivier Leflaive Burgundy 1st Cru, France - $109

2005 Far Niente Napa Valley Chardonnay, USA - $82

2001 Louis Jadot Chambolle-Musigny, France - $84

2005 Angelo Gaja Barbaresco DOCG, Italy - $247

2004 Louis Jadot Puligny-Montrachet, France - $71

Hope this helps ...

Great idea to start a new thread, DJ. I think Host Dan would be proud. :)

2002 Chalk Hill Chardonnay - drool, drool! As reported in DJs post, SD has it priced at $75. Today, on Wine.com, it's $51.99. I don't think that's a bad mark-up. What do you folks think?

The 2004 Far Niente Chardonnay, Napa Valley - $82 was also offered on our NOV '07 cruise for the same price.

What I like about the nightly Sommelier-recommended wine is the wide variety of cost aimed at any budget.

Of course, the Sommelier who serves you during both lunch & dinner is so darned accommodating that if you wanted sea water poured...:p:)

since the nightly "pours" aren't listed on the menus - I'm going to volunteer our non drinking 20 something daughter to be our scribe on our December cruise so we can report back on the "house" wines served at lunch and dinner. Who knows, if someone in my computer addicted family takes a laptop, we may even post daily . .. .:eek: I am soooo ready to go.

FT

since the nightly "pours" aren't listed on the menus - I'm going to volunteer our non drinking 20 something daughter to be our scribe on our December cruise so we can report back on the "house" wines served at lunch and dinner. Who knows, if someone in my computer addicted family takes a laptop, we may even post daily . .. .:eek: I am soooo ready to go.

FT

Excellent FT!! I suspect there will be at least ONE laptop making the trip with your family:p

Does the reason you are so ready to go have to do with the fact that it is 47 degrees, gray and rainy here?:rolleyes:

Excellent FT!! I suspect there will be at least ONE laptop making the trip with your family:p

Does the reason you are so ready to go have to do with the fact that it is 47 degrees, gray and rainy here?:rolleyes:

oh definitely . . . and know that I've got a 15 hr flight on Sunday . . . . and another one Thursday night . . . . holiday on SD II can't get here fast enought. :D Hope we can make Jost Van Dyke this time.

FT

Temp, light, other things stored with the wine, etc. And how long they keep bottles around. 7 years is a bit old for many Chardonnays.

A ship in motion is not the ideal cellar....

I have to tell your Ragnar that no ship makes an ideal wine cellar ... too much motion in the ocean:eek:

I don't think think that SD keeps wine on a ship for seven years ... perhaps they procure it from a vendor who has stored it in perfect conditions for some length of time.

I haven't been in the stores areas on SD so I can't speak to temperature and light ... maybe I need to talk to the provision master about fixing that situation:p:p

As I have said here and on other CC boards (e.g. Seabourn) these are ships/yachts that move so I would NEVER expect to find a rare wine on these vessels.Nor would I EVER order an extremely rare or expensive bottle of wine on ANY ship. I am a realist and understand that there are limitations placed on the sommeliers on these vessels.

When I want a wine-oriented trip I do so on land ... be it California or France. When we are in Paris we splurge and buy that outrageous wine just as when we are in any the Russian River Valley, Napa Valley, Sonoma Valley or in New York City or ... you get the picture.

Again .... just my $.02:p

DisneyJen, thanks for starting a fun topic!

Ragnar, I was told by the sommelier on Silversea that Pinot Noir/Burgundy does not cellar well on a ship, as the vibration upsets it!

I would imagine the ship keeps a relatively low inventory on board, and restocks frequently. I will try and assess it on our upcoming cruise, as most of the wines listed by DisneyJen can be resourced easily with the right distributor.

And, one correction, Chalk Hill is a winery in the Chalk Hill appelation found in Sonoma county, not Napa! As we say in Sonoma, Napa is for auto parts. (Just kidding--love the Cabs from Napa).

DisneyJen, thanks for starting a fun topic!

Ragnar, I was told by the sommelier on Silversea that Pinot Noir/Burgundy does not cellar well on a ship, as the vibration upsets it!

I would imagine the ship keeps a relatively low inventory on board, and restocks frequently. I will try and assess it on our upcoming cruise, as most of the wines listed by DisneyJen can be resourced easily with the right distributor.

And, one correction, Chalk Hill is a winery in the Chalk Hill appelation found in Sonoma county, not Napa! As we say in Sonoma, Napa is for auto parts. (Just kidding--love the Cabs from Napa).

Wine and SD ... life doesn't get much better than that does it:D

Thanks for the clarification on the Chalk Hill issue. I was really confused when I was typing up the wine lists while trying to do REAL world work:p

I would venture to guess that the number of bottles "cellared" on the yachts is very low given the conditions of a sailing vessel. I don't think this is unique to SD.

Will be very interested in your observations and research SonomaWine!

FT

and you think I can travel for a week without a gadget? of course we'll have a laptop or two.

and you think I can travel for a week without a gadget? of course we'll have a laptop or two.

I don't know what FT was thinking when she made that post:p

I think you should set up a webcam in the Office at the TOY Bar:D

Wine and SD ... life doesn't get much better than that does it:D

I would venture to guess that the number of bottles "cellared" on the yachts is very low given the conditions of a sailing vessel. I don't think this is unique to SD.

since our table of 4 exhausted the supply of Pommery on our March voyage I think we can confirm from experience on the number of bottles "cellared" on the yachts!:rolleyes:

I don't know what FT was thinking when she made that post:p

I think you should set up a webcam in the Office at the TOY Bar:D

We could do that except that the bandwidth is so narrow I'm not sure that it would support streaming. Maybe we could set it up on the aft portion of deck 5 aimed at the aft portion of the pool deck on the starboard side . . . on second though that might not be wise:D

We could do that except that the bandwidth is so narrow I'm not sure that it would support streaming. Maybe we could set it up on the aft portion of deck 5 aimed at the aft portion of the pool deck on the starboard side . . . on second though that might not be wise:D

Not if you want to live to cruise another day:D

Maybe you could take a handheld scanner with you and scan the wine list and the labels of the bottles for the house pours:eek:

Archived