port vs ship times

evergladesgator

We're sailing on the Carnival Valor in a week or so and we were told the ship arrives in Grand Cayman at 7am. Since the ship does not change their clocks and we are one hour behind Cayman time. Do we arrive there on ship time or Cayman time ???????:confused:

First, this is the Belize board. But I'll answer for both ports. Your arrival time is ship time. Your departure time is ship time. last tender time is ship time.

If you're traveling before November 1st, the Valor will be on Eastern Daylight Time. Belize does not observe daylight savings time. So they will be 2 hours behind. For example, as I write, it's 9:55 PM Eastern Daylight, in Belize City it's 7:55 PM. If the Valor were to arrive at 7AM ship time, it would be 5 AM Belize time.

Grand Cayman also does not observe daylight savings time. So when you arrive in Grand Cayman at 7AM ship time, it is 6AM Grand Cayman time.

After November 1st, 7 AM ship time will also be 7 AM Grand Cayman time.

For Belize, after November 1st, 7AM ship time will be 6AM Belize time.

Thank you for clarifying that so well. I've been on several cruises and still get confused when trying to plan excursions!

The key is to use a watch not your cell phone. And set the watch to ship time and don't change it until they announce they are changing or your return to you port of embarkation. If you don't usually wear a watch, don't go out and buy a top the line Piquet, Omega or even a Tag Heuer. A $10 special from Walmart or Target will do. If booking with private vendors, just double check before you leave that they are aware of ship time verus local time. Most are.

Be aware, be flexible but have a good cruise.

We're sailing on the Carnival Valor in a week or so and we were told the ship arrives in Grand Cayman at 7am. Since the ship does not change their clocks and we are one hour behind Cayman time. Do we arrive there on ship time or Cayman time ???????:confused:

Crnival dose not change time?hmmm any cruise line we been before changed time

I posted this question to my TA. Trying to find out what itinerary time posts are reflecting vs what is actual island time. According to my TA (assistant) : | she said that Carnival changes their times to reflect the time of island / port. So if it states you are there from 8:00 - 5:00 that is actual time of 'Belize' or 'Caymen' etc.

Not sure how much I trust it...but they have more experience than I do so I'm hopeful they're not leading me a'stray! Good luck. I'd love to know how your travels fair in this...we are also on Valor, but not until Dec.

I posted this question to my TA. Trying to find out what itinerary time posts are reflecting vs what is actual island time. According to my TA (assistant) : | she said that Carnival changes their times to reflect the time of island / port. So if it states you are there from 8:00 - 5:00 that is actual time of 'Belize' or 'Caymen' etc.

Not sure how much I trust it...but they have more experience than I do so I'm hopeful they're not leading me a'stray! Good luck. I'd love to know how your travels fair in this...we are also on Valor, but not until Dec.

I know for a fact that your TA was wrong. Info like this can cause a passenger to watch their ship sail off without them. When I was in Belize this spring there was a two hour time difference. Buy a cheap watch and set it on cruise time. It will stay the same throughout the cruise and not change to accomodate the various port times. While I can't speak for every ship captain, this has been the case for every cruise I have been on.

• 4 weeks later...

Holland America changes time so in our case ship time is port time, at least that is what recent cruisers have said, so check with your cruise board and ask. I thought that would be the case because on every HAL cruise we have changed our clocks onboard when we change time zones.

I agree with crewsweeper too. But we've only sailed with Disney (once) and Carnival (this will be our tenth cruise on Carnival.) We have also only left out of Florida.

To be safe, book according to ship's time.

Archived