Has Anybody Ever Done a Zipline Adventure Tour in Kauai

marly

We're going to Hawaii in May and I was interested in this tour. I'm not sure if we'll have enough time. The ship is in port from 8 am. to 5:30 pm. It sounds like a lot of fun, just wondering if anyone's had any experience doing this.

Thanks

Marly

Good question I was wondering the same thing. Maui also offers a zipline tour and I wanted to try at leat one of them. I couldnt decide which sounded better. Im looking forward to somone answering your question.

I just spoke to Steve Lind at Barefoot Hawaii and the tour sounds great! I'm going to take a tour that involves not only the zip line but kayaking, swimming and a 4x4 as well! He was great. I e-mailed him and he called me back and went over several options for excursions not only on Kauai but on the other islands as well.

http://www.steve@barefoothawaii.com or 1-888-222-0350

Marly

Cindie: Wow! Sounds great! Which tour did you use? I'm looking at Outfitter Adventure's full-day tour which also includes a kayak and a stop at a waterfall. Can you tell me what excursions you took on the other islands?

Thanks,

Marly

Hi Marly and Kalena!

We were in Maui for Christmas and the week after. We did the following Zipline:

Zipline Haleakala Crater with Skyline Eco Adventures in Maui Hawaii - Maui Activity, Maui Eco Tourism, Hawaii Tour

This was our first zipline. Not our last! They are currently building new "zips" so we will definitely go back to Skyline Eco Adventures.

Here are some of my favorites that I've put together for friends visiting the islands:

Oahu:

Docked at: Aloha Tower, (massive shopping.)

Honolulu is just a short walk from the terminal.

Honolulu Academy of Arts (900 Beretania Street, Tuesday - Saturday 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Sunday 1 - 5 p.m.) many interesting collections is a series of Japanese prints. ‘Iloani Palace (King and Richards streets, Tuesday - Saturday 9 a.m. - 2:15 p.m.) is America’s only Royal Palace; here you can view the thrones of Hawaii’s king and queen.

If you are interested in taking a taxi, they will be lined up at the pier.

If you are interested in The Pearl Harbor experience, I highly recommend that you book through the cruise line. Otherwise, the lines are really, really long and it can take way too much of your time on Oahu.

Be prepared for Honolulu and Waikiki. It might not be what one would expect of the Islands. These cities have not been spared the afflictions of city life, such as crime and traffic. You will get your exercise in by “Hurdling the Homeless” as you stroll about town. Yet…once you’re on the beaches in Waikiki with the view of Diamond Head in the background, or driving around the North Shore, or hiking in the crater of Diamond Head, or visiting the dolphins at the Kahala Mandarin … all is forgotten and you will love this island. There is a rich, colorful, and fascinating history to be learned at the Bishop Museum. There are parks everywhere…botanical gardens abound.

If you wish to see a lot of Oahu, I recommend renting a car. Rental agencies at the dock. The traffic is bad during the usual commute hours. Otherwise you should be able to get about easily. Must see: The Punch Bowl, Diamond Head, and the Kahala area. Or…drive the whole island! Do-able. The North Shore is dramatically beautiful.

Polynesian Cultural Center? People love this place. I do not. It used to be great…it’s lost a lot of character and original "Hawaiiana" and feels very touristy. And there’s no way you’ll get a beer, glass of wine, or a mai tai anywhere (owned by, run by…Mormans.) ((Don't get defensive, please...I have no problems with Mormans. I do have an issue with being in paradise, ~~~ warm tropical breezes, holiday spirits... without something soothing to sip.)) (((And I'm not sure why I'm talking in parentheses.)))

If you do not wish to rent a car, for $1.25, you can catch The Bus (from the Pier) and be in Waikiki in around 20 minutes. Check out www.thebus.org

I would recommend getting off at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. This is worth a wander. There are PENGUINS!!! Then, get onto the beach and walk toward Diamond Head. This IS the essence of Waikiki.

Places to pause:

Pretty park between the Hilton Hawaiian Village and the Outrigger Reef.

The Halekulani. Very pretty hotel. GREAT restaurant. (REALLY great mai tai at the House Without a Key restaurant/bar.)

www.halekulani.com

Then check out the Royal Hawaiian. www.royal-hawaiian.com History galore!

Keep going…then plan lunch at DUKES. Actually called Duke’s Canoe Club. You’ll know it by the outrigger canoe in front. Great place to buy tee or sweat shirts.

Hilo:

Rent a car (Dollar or Alamo on the Internet…about $28) and visit Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. It’s spectacular. On the way to, or from, stop at Akaka Falls. Check out the Lava Tube hike. Bring flash lights from home. You’ll know why when you get there. It’s worth it.

Warning. This area…well, there’s just no way to say this nicely. It stinks. (Unless you like the smell of rotten eggs.)

Bring TONS of water. If you forget, you can always pay the $150 (I might be exaggerating) a bottle on the trail.

There is a rain-foresty-type garden right before the Nat’l park. It’s worth a stop and a little hike. Refreshingly green and lush compared to the black/lava/hot trails of the park.

If the volcano didn’t impress you during the day, it WILL at night. If she’s active (I’m talking about Kiluaea), you will be given the opportunity to see the lava flow at night. No matter what it takes, … travel alarm (s), wake-up call (s)…DO THIS. It will be one of the most amazing sights of your lives.

KONA

Best thing to do in KONA (in my opinion): www.fair-wind.com

MAUI

Maui is awesome. I don’t know where to start… Except that you can’t go wrong, whatever you decide to do and see.

Experience Lahaina by foot, and take pictures under the Banyan Tree. Drink stop? Kimo’s. What a view from the outside tables! You can take the Sugar Train (walking distance) to Kaanapali. Worth a look. If you rent a car, see Iao Needle. Wear some good walking shoes, bathing suits under clothes, and bring towels. At the end of the hike, here is a river of the freshest water, ~ ever. After the hike to see the Needle, a cool dip is a piece of heaven.

Snorkeling? Take a catamaran to Molokini. Beautiful sea life and you can swim with gentle, sweet sea turtles.

Haleakala! So much to do. You can do a bike ride on the volcano. Get this. It is all DOWNHILL!!!

And CHECK THIS OUT, no kidding: www.skylinehawaii.com

KAUAI

My favorite.

Paradise.

Rent a car.

Drive to Poipu. Go to the Hyatt Regency Hotel. Lunch at Ilima Terrace (say hi to the swans)…worth the wait for a table by the water. Walk the whole resort. See the koi, the waterfalls, the paths of native Hawaiian horticulture. The hibiscus, bougainvillea, frangipani, plumeria…

Take some time in the lobby and meet the parrots…look for Rico and Melea.

The essence of Kauai is all here. Romantic, magical island.

After lunch, drive on the see the blow hole and then the cute little town of Koloa.

Other lunch suggestions:

ROY's and KEOKES (KEOKIS?)

Located in Poipu. Roy's is famous in Hawaii. I think they call it, "Asian-Fusion." Always interesting and always good, but -- this one is located in a sort of strip mall and is entirely indoors. Our meals were delicious, but the air conditioning made the atmosphere really cold. Bring sweaters. Keoki's is across the street with a very fun bar and a nice, inexpensive menu. The mud pie is fantastic.

We did not get the chance to try it ourselves, but... a lot of people rave about THE BEACH HOUSE.

Bubba's: Great place for a casual lunch. Just a hamburger joint, but a great place to soak up the local flavor. Very few tourists ... just friendly natives. The chili fries very good. You can sit outside and watch the school kids play soccer and hear all of the local gossip.

The touristy things are worth it (in my sentimental opinion). It's really hokey, but the Fern Grotto boat tour is worth the time. It's very beautiful and some guy will play his ukulele and sing the Hawaiian Wedding Song. You can renew your vows! Have camera ready...

Waimea canyon is awesome and on the other end, the drive out to Princeville and beyond is worth the time. It is so pretty. At the very end of Hwy 56, in Hanalei, is Tunnels Beach ... one of the prettiest in Kauai. You can pay some lady $5 to park in her driveway or you can park at Haena Beach and walk to Tunnel Beach. They will tow your car if you park across from Tunnel Beach. It is a nice and easy walk.

I wish you ALOHA

Akahai: meaning kindness to be expressed with tenderness;

Lokahi: meaning unity, to be expressed with harmony;

Olu’olu: meaning agreeable, to be expressed with pleasantness;

Ha’aha’a: meaning humility, to be expressed with modesty;

Ahonui: meaning patience, to be expressed with perseverance.

Reading List: Hawaii, James Michener.

"Isles of the Blest; that is to say, the Sandwich Islands --- to this day the peacefullest, restfullest, sunniest, balmiest, dreamiest haven of refuge for a worn and weary spirit the surface of the earth can offer...a bloomy, fragrant paradise, where the troubled may go and find peace, and the sick and tired find strength and rest. There they lie, the divine Islands, forever shining in the sun, forever smiling out on the sparkling sea...forever inviting you..."

Mark Twain

Two quick corrections.

Pearl Harbor can be easily done on your end. There is NO advantage going with the cruise line tour as they have to line up just like everybody else (it's a National Monument - federal employees don't give any preference to the cruise lines). If you go early enough (i.e. 7 am or so), you'll be queuing up early enough that you'll miss the majority of the lines. Early is definitely better.

Roy's Restaurant - while technically, it's asian fusion cuisine, Roy is part of a larger movement in terms of establishing a fine-dining cuisine for Hawaii -- all called Hawaiian Regional Cuisine. Roy was definitely one of the establishing chefs.

And not a correction but a comment - I still think that PCC is well worth the trip for most people. Admittedly, there's no alcohol there because of the link to the Church of the Latter-Day Saints ... but this shouldn't dissuade people from visiting. :)

Otherwise, some good tips there!

Spleen

Wow, Laviesanssouci and Spleen, thank you for the very comprehensive list of suggestions! I don't think we're going to have enough time! I'm on Pacific Princess in May and the cruise starts in Tahiti. Do you have any suggestions for that area?

Marly

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, we did it in Kauai. It was awesome. Nine different zipline trips over a river and great scenary. The only complaint is that it is over so soon. I would do it again and again. I hear that the Kauai zipline is better than the one in Maui.

When coming back from the Volcanos National Park, stop at the Mauna Loa plant and get some Macadamia nuts! Especially those chocolate covered ones!! Yum!!

Doh! I hadn't thought of that! I am sure they are much more reasonably priced than the mainland, huh? Just another thing to look forward too!

So, if we rent a car to drive to the park, will we see it on the way back - or will we need to make a detour?

Thanks!

Tina

Doh! I hadn't thought of that! I am sure they are much more reasonably priced than the mainland, huh? Just another thing to look forward too!

So, if we rent a car to drive to the park, will we see it on the way back - or will we need to make a detour?

Thanks!

Tina

I'm pretty sure it was on the right side of the road as you came back down from the park. There was a big sign, but it was also marked on our map from the rental car agency. They even sell cases and I think they will ship them from there if you want. My DH reminded me that the butter glazed are also outstanding. Lots of flavors and concoctions there that you don't always see in the US, especially here in the boondocks!

HTH!

June

• 3 weeks later...

We did the Kipu Falls Adventure last October and it was great. It included a 2 mile kayak, a couple of nice jungle hikes (guided) a tractor ride through Kipu

Ranch, three stops at waterfalls, first one small rope swing. Second one was a large waterfall where we ate lunch and then did a zipline (only one). Next we went on to Kipu Falls a beautiful setting where we swam and were able to use rope swings 25 feet above the water - also people cliff diving off of the falls (not me though), my kids all did it. My kids range from 11-17 (5 of them) and they all loved this trip. It took about 6 hours to complete. The tour leaves right from Port Nawiliwili. We were in Kauai for seven days, this year we are going on the Pride Of America in October. It will be our first look at islands other than Kauai.

We booked the zipline in Kauai through Kauaibackcountry and will be doing it in a few days. We heard this one was better than the Maui zip line. We did this in Costa Rica last year and LOVED it!

I will let you know more soon.

As for Tahiti...if you snorkle, Bora Bora has some of the best snorkeling we have ever done. You can rent a 3 wheel vehicle and drive around the entire Island and stop along the way wherever you want.

Joyce

Yes, we booked it directly through outfitters Kauai - we asked for and were granted a 10% discount. I have a large family (7) If you book directly through some of these places they will often be happy to provide a discount as they are still making more than if you booked it through a middle man

It was fantastic...we booked through Kauai Backcountry and had a blast. The guides were great and the zips were wonderful. We did this in Costa Rica and found this one to be far better. We even were able to take pictures while zipping!

Archived