star princess balcony cabins

reddirtgirl

Hi everyone: my husband & I have booked our first cruise for April 2010 on the star princess; we have booked a balcony and believe it will be on the emerald deck; there are some cabins at the front of this deck marked BF; upon looking at the deck plan, there appears to be a walking deck in front of the balcony for these rooms; I believe someone posted on this site that that was the case and that people can look right onto your balcony; does anyone know if this is correct; what would be the best balcony rooms on the star princess? we certainly want a private deck. thanks for any help you can provide us.

Hi everyone: my husband & I have booked our first cruise for April 2010 on the star princess; we have booked a balcony and believe it will be on the emerald deck; there are some cabins at the front of this deck marked BF; upon looking at the deck plan, there appears to be a walking deck in front of the balcony for these rooms; I believe someone posted on this site that that was the case and that people can look right onto your balcony; does anyone know if this is correct; what would be the best balcony rooms on the star princess? we certainly want a private deck. thanks for any help you can provide us.

The best balconies which are the largest are on Caribe. They are partially covered/uncovered. Baja has completely covered balconies which are the ones we choose.

following refers to 'side' of ship balconies only, i.e. those on starboard or port sides of any ‘Grand’ class ship (Grand, Golden, Star, Diamond, Sapphire, Caribbean, Crown, Emerald etc) and not any balconies that face directly aft....

Baja deck balconies are sized 9 ft. wide x 5 ft. deep and have full ceiling overhang/balcony cover. Lido, Aloha, Riviera (found on Caribbean, Crown, Emerald, Ruby only) decks have the same covered balconies. You can stand at the railing of these balconies and look down on to part of the Caribe deck balconies and all of the Dolphin deck balconies.

Caribe deck balconies are sized 9 ft. wide x 9 ft. deep and have ceiling overhang/balcony cover over the first 5 ft. Standing at the railing, you will overlook Dolphin deck balconies below.

All of the cabin interiors/bathrooms of the balcony cabins are the same with respect to size (unless it is a handicapped cabin).

Dolphin deck balconies (all balcony cabins are actually mini-suites and thus bigger than regular balcony cabins on the interior with sitting area, 2nd TV and bathtub/shower combination instead of the small shower stall found in the regular balcony cabins). The balcony is sized 9 ft. wide x 7 ft. deep and has no ceiling overhang/balcony cover as protection from sun or rain.

Emerald deck has several mini-suites each side with fully covered balconies. The last mini-suite cabin towards aft end on each side has extra wide balcony – approximately 7 ft. deep x 18 wide, according to someone who stayed in one of these. Emerald deck on some Grand Class ships also has some regular balcony cabins near the front that have the balconies set back under the roof and back from the railing. You look straight out to the water but cannot look down on the water. The walking track goes past these balconies and walkers can see you on your balcony. I do not have any measurements for these Emerald deck balcony sizes.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise!

Hi

I asked a question about these cabins - we were allocated one when we first booked.

I trawled the internet - phone the company and pestered the travel agent - all the info I gathered does to appear to confirm that the walking deck passed right in front of the cabins. Based on this info we switched to Baja.

Hope this helps.

Hi reddirtgirl, you are new, so might not have realized you started two threads on two days with essentially the same question--I answered on your other thread with a picture

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1077612

Only you can decide if you want to switch to a different location and pay the difference in price. But this far out it is highly unusual to be assigned a BF already if you booked guarantee. Did your TA perhaps book you into a specific cabin instead of a gurantee booking?? It sounds to me like your TA booked you specific cabin, not GTY. There is no guarantee that you will get a higher grade cabin, although the odds are better that you will be assigned something higher than a BF (500:4, actually). You should ask this of your TA, but do keep in mind that a higher grade assignment may or may not have noise or location 'issues' of its own.

Archived