Zip line for wheelchair user

norcalal

First, don't tell me to post on the disabled forum because most old folks over there like me don't even know what a zip line is;). This is for my DD.

Does anyone remember a zip line anywhere on the Mexican Riviera that would work for someone who cannot walk. My daughter, 23, has CP, has never walked and uses a WC full time. If it is at all possible she can do it. She snow skis, water skis and sky dives, She caught Samantha Brown on the TC doing a zip in Cabo and said..."I want to do that". We are on the Radiance, Jan 11, 2010 for 11 days and six ports. Any leads would help.:)

I appreciate that you have an unusual situation and I really admire your daughter's guts to try a Zip Line. More power to her.

If you want some personnal attention about doing this I would suggest you contact one of the 'private' tour companies such as the one offered by Superior Tours Vallarta. Just Google them.

They may not have encountered the same situation before, but at least they have a nice van that should accomodate your daughter and help to get her and you to the 'Zip Lines'.

I know that STV also know several Zip Line people and probably can arrange a special. I personnally know the people who own Superior and that may be a 'draw back' for my recommendation, but what the hay . . . . try it.

Nice to here she's so outgoing. I have taken several ziplines in Mexico and many at other countries and I must say that all required alot of hiking on small winding/step trails. Best of travels to you...

I appreciate that you have an unusual situation and I really admire your daughter's guts to try a Zip Line. More power to her.

If you want some personnal attention about doing this I would suggest you contact one of the 'private' tour companies such as the one offered by Superior Tours Vallarta. Just Google them.

They may not have encountered the same situation before, but at least they have a nice van that should accomodate your daughter and help to get her and you to the 'Zip Lines'.

I know that STV also know several Zip Line people and probably can arrange a special. I personnally know the people who own Superior and that may be a 'draw back' for my recommendation, but what the hay . . . . try it.

Just emailed STV and explained our needs....thanks for the lead and insight...az:)

Nice to here she's so outgoing. I have taken several ziplines in Mexico and many at other countries and I must say that all required alot of hiking on small winding/step trails. Best of travels to you...

I am sure there are some young men around to carry her as needed. In fact, I think they would consider this an interesting challence.

Please, Norcalal, let us know how things went or if the whole idea was shelved.

I am sure there are some young men around to carry her as needed. In fact, I think they would consider this an interesting challence.

Please, Norcalal, let us know how things went or if the whole idea was shelved.

I most certainly will.....:)

I also appreciate your daughters enthusiasm but after being at and inspecting a majority of the zipline tours in the area, I honestly think this will be impossible for a variety of reasons.

First, it does not adhere to Challenge Course Standards that anyone doing the tour must be physically able to climb the ladder(s) maneuver the trails and be able to rappel or move themselves in case of an emergency situation.

Secondly, the guides that are assigned the tours have specific duties that they have to perform- this would require an additional guide which most zip line companies are not prepared to provide for one person for one tour. Third, these tours are sometimes difficult for people with small mobility problems.

There is a company here that has a van that is specifically set up for wheelchairs--- otherwise you'll have to be prepared to find someone to help life her into and out of the van.

Again, I wish I could say go for it! about the zip line/ Canopy tours but I think while not exactly impossible, it will be close to it.

To:

"albert zimmer" <azimma@yahoo.com>

Hi Albert,

Thank you very much for your email. I have contacted my provider of the canopytours, and unfortunatly your daughter will not be able to do this tour. The problem is that there is a lot of walking involved between the lines, and sometimes even on steep hills. Also, at several lines the people need to be able to lift up there knees, to arrive safely at the next platform.

I feel really sorry for you and your daughter that I am not able to help you out with her dream. I have been thinking of alternatives, but am not sure whether you like it or not. I have sold several tours to people in wheelchairs in the past, so do have experience with that. Tours that I can provide you are the following; whalewatching. We can take you on a little boat to see whales from very closeby. While a team of researchers investigate the population of the humpbacks, you can witness this all. As a matter of fact, you are in the best weeks of the season in Vallarta! Another tour, but not so much action involved, a city tour. I can arrange a Van that is wheelchair acassible. Unfortunatly the streets of Vallarta are not so wheelchairfriendly, but a stroll along the malecon is possible. We can take you to the site of the Canopy with the Van, but once again, the tour cannot be done, sorry for that.

Please let me know if I can be for further assistence. Also if you need other recommendations for Vallarta I am here to help you!

Tropical regards,

Astrid van Dam

General Manager Superior Tours Vallarta

www.superiortoursvallarta.com

info@superiortoursvallarta.com

Lago Superior 174

Col. Fluvial Vallarta

Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco

Mexico CP 48312

tel/fax +52 322 29 37226

Prompt reply and to the point....:)

0 for 1 :eek: but still trying

I did the zip line in Cabo and it involved a lot of rough terrain walking/hiking. I do not see how a wheelchair could make it. Sorry, I wish I had some help.

Jen in SoCal

First, don't tell me to post on the disabled forum because most old folks over there like me don't even know what a zip line is;). This is for my DD.

Does anyone remember a zip line anywhere on the Mexican Riviera that would work for someone who cannot walk. My daughter, 23, has CP, has never walked and uses a WC full time. If it is at all possible she can do it. She snow skis, water skis and sky dives, She caught Samantha Brown on the TC doing a zip in Cabo and said..."I want to do that". We are on the Radiance, Jan 11, 2010 for 11 days and six ports. Any leads would help.:)

Sorry Albert that it didn't work out in Puerto Vallarta. I hope you find another place where it is possible for you daughter to zip-line.

But perhaps you could still consider what Astrid said about alternatives.

I am amazed that your daughter snow skis and even water skis and yet is WC bound. I was going to suggest ski diving but notice she already has done that. So, when you are in Mexico is parasailing too mundane for her? What about jetskies or horseback riding along the coast?

Good luck what ever you do and have fun. Thanks for posting the outcome of this thread.

Sorry Albert that it didn't work out in Puerto Vallarta. I hope you find another place where it is possible for you daughter to zip-line.

But perhaps you could still consider what Astrid said about alternatives.

I am amazed that your daughter snow skis and even water skis and yet is WC bound. I was going to suggest ski diving but notice she already has done that. So, when you are in Mexico is parasailing too mundane for her? What about jetskies or horseback riding along the coast?

Good luck what ever you do and have fun. Thanks for posting the outcome of this thread.

I did forget to mention that I had asked for more info on his whale watching tour. We do plan on doing wave-runners in at least two ports. This is something that Jenny has not done and I have already set up for parasailing in Cabo. The horseback riding was not even considered because she has little balance when straddling or sitting without a backrest. I do believe we will also be able to do the dolphin swim. I just have to pick the best venue. Thanks again for your thoughts..az

Disabled Sports USA has a snow ski program at Alpine Meadows, North Lake Tahoe. Jenny uses a bucket seat attached to bi skis and has short poles with short skis on the ends for balance. This whole concept of adaptive sports is simply exploding as a result of the kids returning from Iraq and Afgan with lost limbs. Many were athletes before their injuries. For anyone interested...google DSUSA or Wounded Warriors....

• 3 years later...

I use a chair too and I have ziplined twice but, not on a cruise. Once at space camp Aviation challenge and once at a church camp. both time the people in charge had to " figure it out" . At space camp they were very willing to help and the church camp i almost had to threaten to sue ( without actually going so far as to say that). I have just turned 18 at the time. I think litigation is the biggest barrier to companies letting disabled people do things. So it helps if you can turn that on its head and tell them

" I am fully competent to sign a waiver, gravity works the same for everyone so disability or not if the equipment breaks the person who happens to be up there, is done! I get that and I still want to. So I will not sue if I am hurt but, it is discrimination if you wont let me and my family at least try to sort out getting me up there and I will readily sue for that!"

I use a chair too and I have ziplined twice but, not on a cruise. Once at space camp Aviation challenge and once at a church camp. both time the people in charge had to " figure it out" . At space camp they were very willing to help and the church camp i almost had to threaten to sue ( without actually going so far as to say that). I have just turned 18 at the time. I think litigation is the biggest barrier to companies letting disabled people do things. So it helps if you can turn that on its head and tell them

" I am fully competent to sign a waiver, gravity works the same for everyone so disability or not if the equipment breaks the person who happens to be up there, is done! I get that and I still want to. So I will not sue if I am hurt but, it is discrimination if you wont let me and my family at least try to sort out getting me up there and I will readily sue for that!"

I case you didn't know it, the ADA doesn't exist outside the US. Navigating the city streets in many areas of Mexico is a challenge for people without mobility issues. I haven't been to a zipline operation in Mexico that would be “capable” of accommodating a guest that couldn’t walk. The walking paths between zipline stations are nothing more than goat trails and, as indicated above, the guest must be able to lift their legs and actively participate in the landing process.

The threat to sue for discrimination would fall on deaf ears. The damage to their reputation for operating a safe excursion, should you be injured, would be more costly than anything you could do if they didn’t let you try.

I donot know why this came up. The original postings were of October 2009. There never was a follow up as far as I can see about what the people did once they were in Vallarta.

Archived