18 m/o on Alaska cruise- do or not and cruise line choice

hmkenn0

My husband and I are planning a 2011 Alaska cruise at the time we will have a 6 y/o and an 18m/o. We took our son on a caribbean cruise at 3 and he LOVED it, but I am concerned about taking an 18 m/o from Atlanta, GA on the plane, to Denali and then the cruise. My hubby wants to leave him at home, but I don't. Has anyone done this with a baby this young and have any advice about what it may be like. I'm also wondering if it might be best to wait until 2012 and do a carnival when they are 7 and 2 instead, but we have never done a carnival and are concerned about the difference in the two cruise lines. Thanks!

Depending on the cruise line, most 18 mo. olds aren't eligible to use the "kids club", so it will be up to you to do all the entertaining. There will probably be alot of lengthy excursions you'll have to take a "pass" on...kids that young tend to get cranky fast!

Some lines have in-room babysitting for a few nights out...

Personally, for an Alaskan cruise, which is excursion intensive (after all, that's why you're going--to see the sights!) I'm with your husband on this one. A Caribbean cruise is a totally different animal...laid back---easy, kid friendly excursions....

It's alot of money to go to Alaska, and then be limited as to what you can do and accomplish with a baby!

I would wait for Alaska til your kids are older. We are trying to figure out if 7 is old enough for our youngest to enjoy the excursions, sights etc. Since we will probably not be able to get to Alaska more than once, we want to make sure the kids are old enough to really enjoy (and remember) it. I'm sure someone with more experience will come along and give you some guidance. For me, I'd wait.

It seems that most with young ones like yours tend to do cruises that have beaches as a focus. You won't find that in Alaska. It's a more physical cruise with active shore excursions. It's really not worth it to go all the way to Alaska and just push a stroller in the towns. Many of the best shore excursions don't allow infants or young toddlers. Denali is also not all that young child friendly.

Thanks, after spending time reading these boards we've decided to visit family in Ireland (a lot easier strolling a baby about to sightsee than hike a glacier!) and will do it when our baby is older!

Archived