Is QM2 For Us - I'd Really Appreciate Input

Hblanton

I've seen some beautiful outfits, elegant sweater, elegant evening pants, that look way better than some contrived idea of latest fashion that passes for formal.

Agree entirely - the greatest fashion faux pas are frequently in formal wear - that and inappropriate gym clothes outside the gym....

Those who don't recognize QM2 as a ferry are not dealing with reality. She is a classy ferry, but a ferry indeed, and that is how we use her. The dinner buffet is fine for ferry food, & casual clothing is acceptable to Cunard. Everyone we have met at the dinner buffet, and we met a lot of people, were also using her as a ferry. She's the only option for getting back & forth in comfort. We take the repositioning cruises when available in spring & fall, but that is only going one way, obviously, and does not always fit into our schedule. We can afford first class & used to take it often, but today's airport hassles are not worth it, & that long flight is exhausting. So, we will continue to use QM2 as a ferry, and we will continue not to drag useless formal evening wear around Europe. Those in the dining room might want to take a siteseeing trip to the dinner buffet & notice the dress code - very, very casual - as in some passengers look like transplants from a Carnival Caribbean cruise - not us & not most, but some.

As for Americans bringing down the dress standards upheld by Brits, I did not find that to be true. Most of the Brits we met at the dinner buffet were definitely dressed sloppy casual, & used QM2 often as a ferry, & felt no need to upgrade their attire. They felt she is a convenience, not an occasion. Obviously, same applies to some Americans.....probably Germans, French....... Shows such bigotry to generalize about people, doesn't it.

For a person preferring a cruise to/from Europe, and not wanting to be involved in the formal setting, and not interested in participating in the formal evening activities, Cunard works. It would be helpful if experienced Cruise Critic Cunard cruisers would impart this information to Cruise Critic newcomers so such newcomers can make an accurately informed decision.

For a person preferring a cruise to/from Europe, and not wanting to be involved in the formal setting, and not interested in participating in the formal evening activities, Cunard works. It would be helpful if experienced Cruise Critic Cunard cruisers would impart this information to Cruise Critic newcomers so such newcomers can make an accurately informed decision.

Thank you. Your previous postings on this topic were quite helpful in planning how I intend to handle evenings on my upcoming TA. I'm undeniably an evening buffet fan, and I fully intend to take advantage of it, especially if I find the Brittannia not up to snuff.

• 3 weeks later...

I for a fact do like the dress codes. It's one of the things I pay extra for. I know the staff doesn't enforce the dress code. I will & have commented on the way some have dressed. a pair of shorts & a "wife beater T shirt" are unacceptable in any of the restaurants(especially the Grills)I saw this on one formal night & I told the person the leave the restaurant & properly change. He was rather dumbfounded, but so be it. I am American, but love the British style. If you want to dress like a slob there is always Carnival or Royal Caribbean. A nice shirt & slacks are OK, but Cunard is about dressing properly for dinner. It's what helps separate it from the crowd.

Archived