anybody ever done this

reesegirl

We are staying in Ft Lauderdale for a few weeks. We booked last minute to cruise out of Miami. The day of the cruise we are taking the train from Ft. Lauderdale to the Miami airport and then a cab to the port. It seems the cheapest way to do this. Shuttles were just so expensive and we are trying to save a few $$$ for spending $$$ on the ship.

Anyone done this before? We are taking a early train and should be at the airport around 10 a.m. If nothing goes wrong:eek:

A train, or tri rail?? Tri Rail uses the same train tracks and costs about $7 pp no matter how far you go.

No, never heard of someone taking the train 30 miles when they could do tri rail.

A cab cant probably cost more than $30 for you both, so I personally would never do either tri rail or a train to save what about $10 total... and have to deal with my luggage twice and get it onto a train and then into a taxi ... I must be older than you. I wouldn't go thru all that to save so little money. not a chance ...but some have done it.

You can take SAS transportation from FLL directly to the POM. Steve charges $15 per person. www.ridesas.com. I've used him before; he's great.

Im assuming they would be leaving from a hotel, not from the Ft. Lauderdale airport, but there is share a ride from the airport that is easily found too. Tri Country is their official name ... or a cab for the party depending on how many of them there are ... Iv been told cant post the link to florida limo/tri cty, it always dissapears ... advertising I guess. but there are lots of easier ways to get from their hotel to the port in Miami than going first to the airport in Ft. Lauderdale? ... or taking a train to Miami airport.

A train, or tri rail?? Tri Rail uses the same train tracks and costs about $7 pp no matter how far you go.

No, never heard of someone taking the train 30 miles when they could do tri rail.

A cab cant probably cost more than $30 for you both, so I personally would never do either tri rail or a train to save what about $10 total... and have to deal with my luggage twice and get it onto a train and then into a taxi ... I must be older than you. I wouldn't go thru all that to save so little money. not a chance ...but some have done it.

A cab will most definitely cost more than $30. It cost $24 to go from MIA airport to the Miami cruiseport. Take on another 25 miles onto that coming from FLL area and you'll probably be in the $60 range.

Bill

A cab will most definitely cost more than $30. It cost $24 to go from MIA airport to the Miami cruiseport. Take on another 25 miles onto that coming from FLL area and you'll probably be in the $60 range.

Bill

OK if it costs $24 from the miami airport where they are taking the train to .. they still arent saving enough Id mess with it, but I might if a was strong and packed light so I could easily manage suitcases, but not at my age.. wouldnt be worth it to me.

I admit I do share a ride, not a cab by myself. Taken share a ride probably 6 - 8 times.

SAS does FLL hotel drop-offs on the way to POM so they might be willing to also do a pick-up. Best thing to do is call them and see what they can do.

That's what I'm hoping. I just booked a cruise for December leaving from Miami but air into FLL is about $300+ cheaper so I am thinking of flying in the night before and staying in a hotel in FLL and getting transportation to MIA from my hotel through SAS. If worse comes to worse I'll stay at an airport hotel and just have them pick me up at the airport the day of the cruise.

Bill

I have sent an e-mail to SAS to see if they will pick us up at local hotel

the tri-rail station is close to the Marriot and close to where we are staying so we have to take a cab to one or the other. The Airport is a longer ride and more money in a cab.

The tri-rail is $5. to Miami airport on the weekend and we know the cab ride would be another $24. from there. Am trying to talk DH into just doing the shuttle thing so we only have to handle luggage once.

We are not traveling with a lot of luggage.

I appreciate the link to SAS Most of the coaches and private transportation we have researched here are at least $60. per person and each way that is the same cost pretty much as driving to the port and parking for the week which we are trying to avoid since we do not know the area very well

Just to clarify. If you take Amtrak you will arrive in Miami at the Amtrak station, which is different from the Miami airport station. The only way to get to the Miami airport station is by tri-rail.

IMHO, I think it would be easier to take a shuttle service directly to the port. Because one you arrive at the Miami airport station, you will have to take a shuttle to the airport, and then find the meeting point for your ride to the port. If you have a fair amount of luggage, this could be unpleasant if it is hot outside.

If you take Amtrak, your only option would be to take a cab which will be around 30 or 40 dollars.

They told me on the phone when I called tri-rail that the station was at the airport. I assumed it would be close enough we could just grab a cab and it would not be a far schlep of luggage. Although now that DH is thinking about having to mess with his luggage more than once SAS is looking better. But it would be so much more convient if they picked us up at a hotel. We really do not want to go to the airport if we can get around it

We are using SAS and they are picking us up at Hyatt place in Fort Lauderdale and dropping off at POM. Cost is $13 per person, but we have 5 in our party. Might be $15 per person for only two. Much easier than the train or tri rail in my opinion.

We are staying in Ft Lauderdale for a few weeks. We booked last minute to cruise out of Miami. The day of the cruise we are taking the train from Ft. Lauderdale to the Miami airport and then a cab to the port. It seems the cheapest way to do this. Shuttles were just so expensive and we are trying to save a few $$$ for spending $$$ on the ship.

Anyone done this before? We are taking a early train and should be at the airport around 10 a.m. If nothing goes wrong:eek:

Are you taking the "Tri-rail" or Amtrak, and have you booked your tickets yet? At what hotel in Ft. Lauderdale are you staying? It seems to me that a taking a cab from your hotel in Ft. Lauderdale to the train station, paying the train fare, and then taking a cab from the Miami airport to the Port of Miami would cost about the same as taking a shuttle from your hotel directly to the port. I've taken the Tri-rail often, and it is a convenient commuter service, but in your situation, without more info, I'm not so sure......and if you plan on taking Amtrak......?

They told me on the phone when I called tri-rail that the station was at the airport.

Surely, you are speaking of the Tri-rail station at the Miami Airport. Because the Tri-rail station stop for Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood airport is not actually at the airport. It is about 1 1/2 miles or so west of the airport.

• 1 year later...
I have sent an e-mail to SAS to see if they will pick us up at local hotel

the tri-rail station is close to the Marriot and close to where we are staying so we have to take a cab to one or the other. The Airport is a longer ride and more money in a cab.

The tri-rail is $5. to Miami airport on the weekend and we know the cab ride would be another $24. from there. Am trying to talk DH into just doing the shuttle thing so we only have to handle luggage once.

We are not traveling with a lot of luggage.

I appreciate the link to SAS Most of the coaches and private transportation we have researched here are at least $60. per person and each way that is the same cost pretty much as driving to the port and parking for the week which we are trying to avoid since we do not know the area very well

So lets do the math. I am thinking there are 2 of you. So $5 each for the tri-rail is $10. $24 for the cab. Total $34. Now you have to get to the tri-rail station so that may be an additional cost. SAS is $15 per person (and I think that includes tip also) so for $30 you get picked up at your door and brought directly to the Port of Miami. Less hassle. I think SAS would be your best bet all around.

Archived