Room service question

We just took our first cruise on X. Admittedly there were chocolates on the pillows, but overall I was underwhelmed. We had a great time with great friends, but didn't see any particualr reason to feel like we had experienced any enhanced service or amenitites. It was a short PNW cruise on one of X's older ships [Mercury] but frankly, with the exceotion of our room steward [shubert] we have had consistently better service on RCI. Because it is an older ship, I won't say much about that, but we have been on older RCI ship [Monarch, and Splendour that is about the same age as Mercury], and I have to say Mercury made me somewhat claustrophobic. I much, much prefer the design of Splendour and Monarch.

And you think muster drills are a pain on RCI? On this cruise our "muster station" was in a lounge. But, after the normal muster stuff [with careful attendance taken by the crew], the passengers were marched from the lounge to their lifeboat station. I don't like to complain about muster drills, I think they are necessary and beneficial. But, why have two stations? Why not just send everyone to the appropriate boat. Why the parade at the end. It's not like it would help anyone find the right boat in an emergency. Depending on what order you arrive at your station, you may or may not end up going to the same boat station. Dinner service was the weakest we have had on any cruise.

It was a great cruise with great friends. But I am not writing home to Momma about Celebrity.

We took our first X cruise, a 14 night Century TA last Dec. and this ship is the first (1995) and smallest (71,545 tons) of the class Mercury (1998, 77,545 tons) is the last of and we were very impressed with the ship, food and service onboard. Our lifeboat muster was only in the theater.

Well we'll be able to make our own judgement about the Mercury as we are booked on it for a 12 night cruse that leaves in just over two weeks.

Actually several posts on the X board and on our roll call indicates that the Mercury is a fine ship to sail on.

We took our first X cruise, a 14 night Century TA last Dec. and this ship is the first (1995) and smallest (71,545 tons) of the class Mercury (1998, 77,545 tons) is the last of and we were very impressed with the ship, food and service onboard. Our lifeboat muster was only in the theater.

Well we'll be able to make our own judgement about the Mercury as we are booked on it for a 12 night cruse that leaves in just over two weeks.

Actually several posts on the X board and on our roll call indicates that the Mercury is a fine ship to sail on.

Don't get me wrong -- we had a great time. I have yet to be on what I would consider to be a bad cruise. I would rate the cruises we have been on as good, better, and best. And I want to repeat [as I said above] our cabin steward [shubert] was one of the best we have had. It's just that, despite all of the criticisms of RCI, despite the free flute of bubbly on boarding and the chocolates on the pillow, price and itinerary being close to equal, I would pick any of the RCI ships I have been on before Mercury. On the other hand, if Mercury was going somewhere I wanted to go and the price was right -- I'm there.

Don't get me wrong -- we had a great time. I have yet to be on what I would consider to be a bad cruise. I would rate the cruises we have been on as good, better, and best. And I want to repeat [as I said above] our cabin steward [shubert] was one of the best we have had. It's just that, despite all of the criticisms of RCI, despite the free flute of bubbly on boarding and the chocolates on the pillow, price and itinerary being close to equal, I would pick any of the RCI ships I have been on before Mercury. On the other hand, if Mercury was going somewhere I wanted to go and the price was right -- I'm there.

Well to be honest, that was a deciding factor also for us since we got a Cat 5 mid ship OV for $499 + $74 tax and fees each for a 12 night cruise to five of our favorites islands in the Caribbean and we can drive to the port.

Archived