Room service question

Either 3.95 or 4.95 back on the explorer last june.Oh don't forget the tip:rolleyes: too.

I believe that the charge includes the tip. It was implemented as many have too many cocktails during the day and 'forget' to tip or fall asleep and don't answer the door when the food arrives. This way they are ensured that the person delivering the food is compensated!

How easily we accept this frivolous charge....

It's just another question on CC now.....we are sheep.

Not me because of the cut backs and additional charges. After booking with RCCL for six out of our seven cruises over the past 30 months, the seventh was on X, I booked our next cruise on X which offers 24 hour room service without charge. At least with Celebrity RCCI is still getting my business but I also plan to book in the future mainly with cruise lines other than RCCL.

I believe that the charge includes the tip. It was implemented as many have too many cocktails during the day and 'forget' to tip or fall asleep and don't answer the door when the food arrives. This way they are ensured that the person delivering the food is compensated!

It does not include the tip....If you don't answer the door they'll call ya on the phone. Their not going to just leave it in the hall :eek:....Anyone that delivers food to my room is certainly going to get a nice tip and EXTRA if it's after midnight ;) Watch out for those "Drunk Dialers" !!!!:p

It does not include the tip....If you don't answer the door they'll call ya on the phone. Their not going to just leave it in the hall :eek:....Anyone that delivers food to my room is certainly going to get a nice tip and EXTRA if it's after midnight ;) Watch out for those "Drunk Dialers" !!!!:p

According to Royal Caribbean is does include the tip. What is your source?

Actually, we did order room service and pay the charge after midnight, after being in the nightclub.

Our only other dining option at that time was cafe promenade. I only eat poultry and fish, and some nights there were no sandwiches to chose from. Other nights I had a few!

I understand why they have the charge, but I think it's silly that if you call at 11:59 its free, but at 12:00 you are charged. At least have better free options available late night like on other cruise lines.

You are correct. It does include the tip. In fact I think the charge is the tip and that it goes to the waiters. At least I hope that's the case since they have to work all night.

Why then is it refered to as a Service Charge ? I still think I'll stick to tipping the person that shows up at my door in the middle of the night...

Why then is it refered to as a Service Charge ?

I don't know if it includes tip, however they call it service charge because it is mandatory. A tip is technically not required. I think they should change the name of "tip" to "salary," but that makes the cruise lines look cheap.

CC

Not me because of the cut backs and additional charges. After booking with RCCL for six out of our seven cruises over the past 30 months, the seventh was on X, I booked our next cruise on X which offers 24 hour room service without charge. At least with Celebrity RCCI is still getting my business but I also plan to book in the future mainly with cruise lines other than RCCL.

I agree, we are leaving in two weeks on RCCL but this was a last minute trip booked for price and conveniance. I hesitated a bit because 1)our last rccl cruise was not up to par compared to others on rccl and other lines 2) it really bothers me that this charge was implemented. If it really is tip, then it makes it a bit better. We do usually use room service between 12 and 1.

In the past i would have never dreamed of using roomservice past 12, but I now work evenings and usually eat a light snack most nights between 1 and 2. So I just calculated it into my total cruise budget..

Still a good value and Iwill add additional tip as I feel they work hard for it.. (as long as it right and timely)

We just took our first cruise on X. Admittedly there were chocolates on the pillows, but overall I was underwhelmed. We had a great time with great friends, but didn't see any particualr reason to feel like we had experienced any enhanced service or amenitites. It was a short PNW cruise on one of X's older ships [Mercury] but frankly, with the exceotion of our room steward [shubert] we have had consistently better service on RCI. Because it is an older ship, I won't say much about that, but we have been on older RCI ship [Monarch, and Splendour that is about the same age as Mercury], and I have to say Mercury made me somewhat claustrophobic. I much, much prefer the design of Splendour and Monarch.

And you think muster drills are a pain on RCI? On this cruise our "muster station" was in a lounge. But, after the normal muster stuff [with careful attendance taken by the crew], the passengers were marched from the lounge to their lifeboat station. I don't like to complain about muster drills, I think they are necessary and beneficial. But, why have two stations? Why not just send everyone to the appropriate boat. Why the parade at the end. It's not like it would help anyone find the right boat in an emergency. Depending on what order you arrive at your station, you may or may not end up going to the same boat station. Dinner service was the weakest we have had on any cruise.

It was a great cruise with great friends. But I am not writing home to Momma about Celebrity.

Is there a room service menu?

Yes, there will be one in your cabin. Also they will provide a menu card to hang on your door at night for the next morning automatic delivery, select your items and delivery time. We have found you can also write in some additional items and they will bring those as well. Some ships will let you order electronically on your TV, but we prefer to door hang our menus. Breakfast roomservice is great to eat out on your Balcony :rolleyes:

Archived