Home after a great cruise on Opera

Misty1937

Following our happy cruise on Musica we transferred to Opera for the 11 night Black Sea cruise. We asked on Musica about our luggage and they said they would transfer it over to Opera along with some other pax, we weren't to put it out the night before but ring reception in the morning for them to pick it up. Embarkation was an absolute nightmare, disorganised chaos which I found hard to believe after our hassle free embarkation on Musica. We sat around the terminal for over 2 hours and eventully got on board to find no luggage, that took 6 1/2 hours to transfer from Musica.

However once we set sail we had no further complaint except for the accounts staff who were extremely rude and unhelpful. Once again the ship & our cabin were spotless. I must say I preferred this smaller ship after we kept getting lost on Musica and walking miles from one end to the other. We met some more wonderful new friends who we did some tours with. We did not do any ships tours thuis saving a lot of money. We DIY in Kotor, Piraeus, Katakolon and Dubrovnik.

In Yalta we pre booked a tour with Sergo (http://sergoyalta.at.ua), believe me he was amazing with a wealth of knowledge. He is aware of the route the ships tours take so works it that you are not in the same places at the same time thus saving time and making it less crowded. He also has a special licence to take you to Duke Yusupov Palace where the ships tours can't go. He was half the price of the ship excursion and really gave us a wonderful day. I would recommend him absolutely as would the rest of our party.

In Odessa we had also pre booked a tour with Lena@empire-tour.net who was very good and again much cheaper than the ships tour. Once again it was great to have the buildings identified and learn about the history there.

In Istanbul we were approached by a local tour operator at the dock who took 9 of us at a very reasonable price.

Unfortunately Opera fell down on the job again for disembarkation. We were the last group off the ship and had to wait over an hour for the shuttle bus into Venice. The reason given was that the bus hadn't turned up, considering 2 groups had disembarked prior to us and had vacated the port that excuse didn't ring too true with us.

If I can be of any assistance with questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers, Misty

Following our happy cruise on Musica we transferred to Opera for the 11 night Black Sea cruise. We asked on Musica about our luggage and they said they would transfer it over to Opera along with some other pax, we weren't to put it out the night before but ring reception in the morning for them to pick it up. Embarkation was an absolute nightmare, disorganised chaos which I found hard to believe after our hassle free embarkation on Musica. We sat around the terminal for over 2 hours and eventully got on board to find no luggage, that took 6 1/2 hours to transfer from Musica.

However once we set sail we had no further complaint except for the accounts staff who were extremely rude and unhelpful. Once again the ship & our cabin were spotless. I must say I preferred this smaller ship after we kept getting lost on Musica and walking miles from one end to the other. We met some more wonderful new friends who we did some tours with. We did not do any ships tours thuis saving a lot of money. We DIY in Kotor, Piraeus, Katakolon and Dubrovnik.

In Yalta we pre booked a tour with Sergo (http://sergoyalta.at.ua), believe me he was amazing with a wealth of knowledge. He is aware of the route the ships tours take so works it that you are not in the same places at the same time thus saving time and making it less crowded. He also has a special licence to take you to Duke Yusupov Palace where the ships tours can't go. He was half the price of the ship excursion and really gave us a wonderful day. I would recommend him absolutely as would the rest of our party.

In Odessa we had also pre booked a tour with Lena@empire-tour.net who was very good and again much cheaper than the ships tour. Once again it was great to have the buildings identified and learn about the history there.

In Istanbul we were approached by a local tour operator at the dock who took 9 of us at a very reasonable price.

Unfortunately Opera fell down on the job again for disembarkation. We were the last group off the ship and had to wait over an hour for the shuttle bus into Venice. The reason given was that the bus hadn't turned up, considering 2 groups had disembarked prior to us and had vacated the port that excuse didn't ring too true with us.

If I can be of any assistance with questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers, Misty

Hello,

Can you give me some pointers for Piraeus and Katakolon we will be going there in December. Thank you

Hello,

Can you give me some pointers for Piraeus and Katakolon we will be going there in December. Thank you

Hello

We were on the same cruise as Misty (we never did get to meet her!).

For Piraeus we did our own thing and got the bus into Athens (out the port cross the big main road, up one of the hills in front and the bus stops you need are over the other side of that road. Get a ticket at the (newspaper) kiosk by the bus stop (€1).

It took about 45 mins but you see all life and the terminus stop is just by the parliment. Atfer seeing the changing of the guard, we followed the signs for the Acropolis etc - in the end we did not go in as the crowds were horrendous. So we sat in a bar, had some mezes and watched the world (and MSC tour groups) go by!

We got the bus back, we were going to do the metro and get a taxi from the Piraeus stop to the port but a bus was ready and waiting.

Everything is well sign posted.

However, there are 100s of taxi drivers who will offer to show you the sites once you disembark.

Katakolon is a delightful, small Greek village and rather than go to Olympus (I cannot remember seeing local tours nor taxi drivers touting for business once we hit the port) we strolled the village and did the tourist shops (good quality stuff to be had - I brought a wonderful leather bag) before another beer and nibbles break. Pity the weather was iffy!

You do not have much time in Katakolon so it may be best to go on an organised tour if you want too see Olympus - or prebook something locally before you go. Beware - due to really bad weather we were delayed into port so that may have a negative impact on any independant tour you may choose to take.

Have a great time!

If you need more info just ask.

Hello

Like Gelbel (who unfortunately we didn't catch up with) we went by bus into Athens (040 bus). We actually found it easier to turn right from the port but stay on that side of the road until we got to the buses as there were lights there to cross. Our bus took just on an hour, I guess it depends what the traffic is like, we left at 10am and were just in time to see most of the changing of the guard. We then walked down to the right (as you face parliament house) and visited the ruins and Hadrian's Arch. As we were returning on our next cruise we decided that was enough but we could have gone over to the Acropolis quite easily. When we did the Acropolis on the 2nd visit we again got the 040 bus but asked the driver where to get off nearest it and he said he would let us know which he did. Everyone was so friendly and helpful there. There is a little red train that does a circuit of Athens, it leaves from outside the New Museum. We asked how long it took and he said 1 hr, we had 2 1/2hrs before we were due back at the ship so decided to go on it as it left us 1/2hr up our sleeve. Bad move, it took 1 1/2hrs which cut it too fine so we had to get a taxi back which cost us 20E. Never mind it was a great day and the little train gave us a good oversight of the city.

In Katakolon we hired a car with another couple, 45E for the day plus 10E petrol which at 14E each was a really good deal. They gave us a map and it was so simple to find Olympia plus there was not a lot of traffic to contend with. Please do not miss Olympia, it is an incredible sight and I was amazed at the size of it plus the museum is really interesting. The hire car firm we used was diplasd@rentacarkatakolo.gr and the contact Tony Bennett, no he didn't sing!. It took us about 3/4hr to drive there but only about 1/2hr on the return, I guess the traffic again has a lot to do with it.

Any further questions I will happily answer, I hope this has helped.

Cheers, Misty

Archived