Mex Riveria in January-Help me decide!

aarinsmama

Hi all! My husband and I are going to be taking a Mex Riveria cruise in January as an anniversary trip, and I'm having a hard time making up my mind between the Splendor and the Spirit. Spirit is an 8 day for less money, but we've done this exact ship and itinerary before (although it was 5 years ago and we were young and niave--it might be a totally new experience a 2nd time around?). The Splendor on the other hand is a new ship with ports we haven't been to yet, only slightly more expensive ($100 more total), but 7 days instead of 8. Another concern to me is weather. I know the Spirit goes farther south, which means warmer weather for January! Does anyone have any wise advice for me (length, ship, itinerary, or weather)??? Thanks for any help you can offer me!

Just based on what I've read on here, I would say go with the Spirit. Less money for a longer cruise also kind of seems like a no brainer! :p

I would just decide whether you're really interested in seeing the Splendor. Did you like the Spirit enough to sail on her again? And I would also think of the ports - which ones would you rather go to this time? I'm sure either way you will have a great time.

Although we believe the Spirit class ships are the perfect size ships, we agree with the previous post - we'd recommend that you visit new ports - all three of the Splendor ports are great places - Cabo, Puerto Vallerta, and Mazatlan. :)

Splendor....it's new, it's huge and by the time you've explored the entire ship [which will take you the full week], you won't even miss the ports you've already been to.

That's why we're taking her on January 10th.

I can't always cruise Carnival too much excitement for my aging heart! :p

One advantage to the Splendor is the ports you will be visiting in January. Mid January - late February is a special time in Cabo. That is peak whale watching time. A whale watching excursion on a catamaran will provide a lifetime of memories. Here are my pictures from Feb 2008 whale watching from the catamaran Pez Gato.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562535753iirWdb

It will be warm once you get down as far south as Cabo regardless of which itinerary. The ocean water will still be warm for swimming as well. It will be a little cooler up on deck "at night" on the Splendor but other than that, you will be fine. Most people are inside the ship at night anyway. Both ships have to transit that last "south to north leg" (Cabo to southern CA) and that is really the only time it will be cold and windy up on deck. If you have a balcony cabin - you will probably not get to use it on your last day (either ship). The exception to that is probably the aft balcony's, because they will be protected from the wind.

We would do either itinerary in a heartbeat. Wait, we already are. Spirit in 35 days, and then Mariner Of The Seas in Feb. We are doing Mariner because of a recent killer price. $609 per person for a D1 cabin (military rate) + $100 cabin credit from RCCL + another $90 cabin credit from our TA. That put us at $1331 (cabin) - $100 - $90 = $570 per person total, for a 7 day "D1 Cabin". Carnival is our preferred cruise line and to us, has much better food. But for that price, we'll survive.

Thank you all so much for your input! I think we've decided on the Splendor on 1/17. With our past guest rate/upgrade we were able to get a balcony on Lido for a GREAT price, and I'm really excited to venture to ports I've never been to! Now it's off to the Mex Riveria port boards for a while! :p

Thank you all so much for your input! I think we've decided on the Splendor on 1/17. With our past guest rate/upgrade we were able to get a balcony on Lido for a GREAT price, and I'm really excited to venture to ports I've never been to! Now it's off to the Mex Riveria port boards for a while! :p

Oh goodie Aarinsmama...we're on that cruise...come on over and join our roll call!

Good for you, have a wonderful time! We'll be getting off as your boarding.

You'll know who I am, I'll be the one with the huge smile on my face! :p

Choose whichever suits you best .I really liked Spirit in Alaska but I hear Splendor is lovely

Decide are you going for the itinerary or ship ?

Remember the BAJA cost is COOL TO COLD in Jan I did this cruise in March ...NIPPY might be a good word to describe this cruise

DO BRING WARM jogging suits with hoodies for seadays

I NEVER went in the ocean even in Puerto Vallarta it was THAT COLD but it was sunny Actually tanned my face ...the rest of me was bundled up

We still had fun but I prefer warmer Caribbean weather .Thank God before this cruise i joined CC and people warned me about the cold .I saw a lady in shorts on a seaday ..she had not packed warm clothes ...she was freezing!!!

So YOU ARE WARNed ..go enjoy yourself

Michele

Let me know if you are interested, email me, in the massage at the Krystal Hotel in Puerta Vallarta, about a 10 minute walk from the pier. I'll email you the reservation email address. The prices have gone up a little since last year, but still the best deal in town.

Archived