Maasdam changes since 1996

Y's Owl

When I last sailed on the Maasdam, the locker rooms forward of the Lido Pool near the gym and salon contained a small sauna and steam bath. On the deck plans it seems those locker room positions got swapped. In doing so, did they remove the saunas and steam baths from the locker rooms?

When I last sailed on the Maasdam' date=' the locker rooms forward of the Lido Pool near the gym and salon contained a small sauna and steam bath. On the deck plans it seems those locker room positions got swapped. In doing so, did they remove the saunas and steam baths from the locker rooms?[/quote']

Sauna (1) is still in the locker room. There are 2 steam rooms (co-ed) in the private extra cost retreat area along with the ceramic heated recliners and hot tub.

Thank you. I am looking forward to my second cruise on the Maasdam and I bet I will be spending a bit of time the first day or so seeing all the changes made in the past 16 years since I was last on it. Of course it was just fine the way it was in 1996. Are there many other big changes since then that I should be looking to find?

Thank you. I am looking forward to my second cruise on the Maasdam and I bet I will be spending a bit of time the first day or so seeing all the changes made in the past 16 years since I was last on it. Of course it was just fine the way it was in 1996. Are there many other big changes since then that I should be looking to find?

The NY Times cafe/internet center/library combo. Excellent concept. HAL also converted a small private dining room into the Microsoft Tech Center for their digital camera classes. Also well done and heavily attended.

I like the addition of the Pinnacle Grill on Upper Promenade Deck. Some (most?) of the space came from the less used King's Room annex of the main dining room. Wonderful to have a quiet alternative restaurant.

I'm less thrilled with the loss of the Java Cafe (outside the Wajang Theatre) on Promenade Deck. It's a wine tasting bar now. Specialty coffees are now available at an extra charge in the Explorations Cafe, instead.

And the Wajang is now both a cinema and a cooking demonstration centre. ---Patricia

Wait until you try the new beds, :) wonderful!

We love the Explorations Cafe and taking King's Room, Maitre d's office and small piece of Explorer's Lounge to create Pinnacle was great. Pinnacle on Maasdam is outstanding.

The tv's in the cabins very nice and the ship certainly has had freshening through the years.

We adore Maasdam and her crew and can never get enough of her. After three cruises on her this summer, I'm confident in saying I think you'll still find her to be a fabulous ship.

What took you so long to return? :D (kidding, of course!!)

Jade - Yes, yes, and yes-if-you-want-one-but-the-only-place-it-fits-is-under-the desk-where-your-knees-would-go. You will also give up your only outlet to the fridge, unless you get a power bar from your steward. :)

---Patricia

Thanks for the preview of the improvements to my favorite ship. We had a wonderful trip on it in 1996 and I am sure this one will be too. I am glad it still has the aft pool for now.:cool:

I really liked the Volendam, but I loved the Maasdam's size better. It was more intimate. I wonder if any of the crew is still aboard who were on it in 1996. I guess I will see in a few days.

Archived