Excursions or have fun on our own ?(Jamaica/Cayman Isl.)

Gabruska

Question about the ports: Jamaica & Cayman Isl. ...What do you recommend? Should we pay for excursions or can we just go to the beach and in town on our own? I see the excursions are quite expensive, plus we have two small children. (We will not consider leaving them behind on the ship even if they do offer baby sitting -I am just not comfortable with it)Thanks for any suggestions.:p

we have the same ports as you, we will be doing the stingray city/snorkeling in cayman and dunns river for jamaica (both booked on independent co). since u got 2 kids, prob best if you do the beach..here's my suggestion:

grand cayman - taxi to seven mile beach, research the carib portion here and you'll see some ideas. check out some that you can snorkel.

jamaica - again taxi to reggae beach or just hang out in the ship's pool. there's shopping where we'll dock the ship so you can check it out.

have a great time!

YOu did not mention the ages of the kids and that would make a big difference. jamaica is not the port to just ander around on your own... you will be approached for buying drugs even with kids. There is a beach within walking distance from the ship, small charge. If the kids are younger than 10 NO way do Dunns River Falls. Yes to hire excursion guide....tubing was fun too but this was with a private tour guide. We had a great tour there when our kids were 8 and 6. Did the tubing, beach stop, tour of the highlights, stopped for some local treats.... the kids loved this tour and so did we. We always felt safe and he kept us away from the beggars... I would go on the ports of interest section and look for ideas with tour guides and what you would like to do.

For Grand Cayman: Lots to do without a tour if the kids are too young. Just head to a beach to play in the sand.

YOu did not mention the ages of the kids and that would make a big difference. jamaica is not the port to just ander around on your own... you will be approached for buying drugs even with kids. There is a beach within walking distance from the ship, small charge. If the kids are younger than 10 NO way do Dunns River Falls. Yes to hire excursion guide....tubing was fun too but this was with a private tour guide. We had a great tour there when our kids were 8 and 6. Did the tubing, beach stop, tour of the highlights, stopped for some local treats.... the kids loved this tour and so did we. We always felt safe and he kept us away from the beggars... I would go on the ports of interest section and look for ideas with tour guides and what you would like to do.

For Grand Cayman: Lots to do without a tour if the kids are too young. Just head to a beach to play in the sand.

Thank you

That sounds good. Our kids are 4 and 6. I was just wondering if there is a beach close by in Grand Cayman, so good to hear that. I will consider to take a tour in Jamaica.

Thanks again.

Hi,

We have a seven year old girl and I'll tell you what we'll probably do this go-round. In Jamaica I would only book tours that have been vetted by the cruise line. There is so much crime in Jamaica and the beggers, etc., are incredibly "in your face." I just wouldn't want my children to have to see this -- not at the age of your children! It's very sad . . . homeless people who have no legs and rolling around on little carts . . . it's so sad to see. As far as Grand Cayman goes -- Stingray City is a blast -- my 85 year old father-in-law had a blast. The only thing is the water is approximately 4 feet deep in the area where you exit the boat to see/interact with the stingrays . . . so your kids will probably need to wear life vests. Have fun! :)

I would use a good tour company as read about in cc. You will save money and have a more personal tour. The guide will keep you out of harms way. He will not stop at a photo op which is really a place where beggars hang out to ask for handouts. He will work for you since there are less people on his tour as compared to a ship tour. If you do walk to the beach within sight( not the one at Margaritaville, then just smile, walk with confidence, hold your kids hands and just say NO THANKS when and if approached.

I disagree with the poster that said NO WAY to Dunns River Falls for kids less than 10 yo. My family did DRF with our 4 kids two of whom 7 and 9. Age 4 and 6 is probably too young to climb the falls in its entirety but the mid-way entry point is A LOT of fun to frolic around with shallow pool (6-12 inches deep) of rushing water. Two adults would have fun, simply switch off child minding duties for a few minutes while the other climbs some...

And DON'T hire a 'Falls' guide to sham and hoax you into 'being guided' up the falls (ooh - scary). Its a tip charging scam... They have you form 'daisy chains' hand in hand with other 'marks' (which is far more difficult movement and potentially more dangerous). Think about it... What is the easier, safer, more balanced way to climb a flight of stairs, daisy chained to others moving uncertainly above and below you, or independent and free handed. These guides and their 'marks' couldn't help but notice my young children scampering easily up and down the falls as the 'clients' clung unsteadily - rediculesly - to each other. But you do absolutely need water shoes... (can be renter on site); just tke it easy - eiree mon!:)

GC Stingray City can be very intimidating to young children (done that too! more than once). These rays are docile but HUGE - like 3 or more feet across. They WILL Freak Out young children. The water can be well over their heads too depending on where on the sand bar the operater goes (tides etc.) I recommend independents Captain Marvin or Nativeway (on the web) as a less expensive and more attentive excursion than the typical line operator. The 'littles' may want to stay on the boat and watch the rays from there (the younger - probably both will) but it is an excellent - must do - excursion generally speaking that can be accomodated to littles. A good guide will bring one of these huge rys up to the boat to show the kids and kids of all ages WILL BE amazed!

Jamaica and GC couldn't be more different culturally too, which largely reflects the culture of income and money. Jamaica is very poor and has some of the hardest 'hustling' (potentially borish) natives in the Caribbean - as well as a roving army of dope peddlers (just say 'no thanks'; you will - a lot). I like Jamaica, but it would be naive to say that personal security is no issue there (just be aware nd cautious). GC on the other hand is small, very wealthy, and 'polite'. Check the Ports of Call forum for independent guide recommendations for Jamaica. A guide there is Highly Recommended as a buffer (or Crap Cutter) vis a vis the locals. GC is easily done solo...

Have fun.:D

..we did Stingray City in Grand Cayman in March on Orchestra. kids 11 and 7 enjoyed it, but were a bit hesitant regarding the rays. If it bothers them they can stay on the boat which anchors in shallow water beside the rays.

We didn't book this excursion ahead....rather when we tendered ashore we were bombarded with excursion operators offering deals. We bargained and ended up paying a total of $75 for a family of four, which included bus ride there and back, boat out to snorkelling area for a bit then rays for a bit. It was perfect. The whole thing lasted about 2.5 to 3 hours.

You'll pay far less for the same trip if you DON'T BOOK AHEAD. Of course, the industry will try to scare you into booking ahead. So be warned.

Hey, Woodofpine -- great advice! When I did Stingray City many years ago I didn't have a child yet . . . so I'll take your advice and book an excursion privately . . . who would you suggest?

http://www.captainmarvins.com

http://www.nativewaywatersports.com

Both of these operators are very well regarded. Captain Marvin sort of got the whole 'Stingray City' ball rolling a few decades ago. Nativeway regularly earns raves though too. I've been with Captain Marvins and a pier side solicited operator. Marvins office is located a couple hundred yards to the left of the tender dock up Front Street.

As the above poster indicated there are plenty of operators pierside and I'm sure with the right alignment of the stars that works fine too. Reserving with a 'name' operator does allow one to avoid the hurley burley of pier side excursion hustling though. The day I went without reservations I wanted to walk out to Eden Rocks first and check that out, and then do something 'catch as catch can'; it wasn't as satisfying because Grand Cayman was overrun with cruise ship passengers that day (as it is WAY too often) which took away from the entire visit that time.

If you can find an independent to do SR City then Rum Point, I'd grab that... Some of the ships are offering that these says; Rum Point is just across the bay/lagoon from the SR CIty sand bar. Rum Point is what 7 mile beach is supposed to be like - but isn't, on account of overdevelopment.

P.S. I note that Nativeway offer Rays and Rum point together... Or you can do the 'Let's Make a Deal' pierside :D Have Fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Our first trip there was obviously slow as we had hired a guide for our family only & was very grateful we did. The carried all our belongings & directed us to climb where it was safe & a lot of fun, took pictures of us & anything else we desired. The tip was the best money I spent, I do agree, do not go in a large group where you have the blind leading the blind.

Nativeway is the best. We did a CC Excursion and they took us to stingray city. There were some people (of all ages) that were afraid to get in the water (the waves were really rocking that day). Solomon actually brought the stingrays to the side of the boat so that the people who were afraid could still pet them and interact with them. They also went "diving" for the conch shells and brought up a starfish for all the kids to see and hold. (They returned it safely to the sea and made sure that it was well watered while on the ship). They were really great and I highly recommend this group. As for Jamaica, I lived there and I would take my kids to Dunn's River Falls anytime. Even the little ones like to play in the pools on the way. As someone else mentioned, I wouldn't take a "tour" or try to climb the falls, but there is a stair case and entrances along the way up that have openings to the various sections. Once you get past the vendors at the front, there aren't too many that will approach you. The other option is to do Dolphin Cove (which is great but high priced). Here, there is sand to play in with lounge chairs for mom and dad, a nature trail to check out, the dolphins and sharks to look at and a lot more. Hope you have a great time in both locations.

Archived