AMEX points and Carnival

mr jimmy

I checked the American Express Membership Reward points choices for cruises and, for example, comes up with 130,000 points for a 4-day cruise with Carnival. I sent AMEX an email asking if this is for one or two people. Their reply was "for one person, based on double occupancy". I have used thier points in the past for air travel, other products, etc., but this does not follow their normal point/dollar redemption ratio. According to this, I have to spend $130,000 on the AMEX card to get a $500 or less cruise, and then pay for my wife's fare. If anyone has different info., let me know.

That is a rip-off!!!!

Better to use the miles for airline travel. Don't rush to do that either... every once in a while they have a promotion where they give you a 25% bonus when transferring miles to your airline FF program. I've seen this offered both for Continental and Delta.

Hi-

I actually worked in this department at Amex many years ago (it's called the Land & Sea Vacations department) and unless things have changed drastically, you were given some serious misinformation. In almost all cases, the point requirements for tours and cruises are based on double occupancy.

I found the following information on the Amex website, under MR terms and conditions:

Cruises: Point levels are (1) for the lowest outside-cabin category; (2) for cruise only; (3) based on double occupancy; and (4) include port charges. Cabin upgrades may be purchased in advance only for points, if available. Point levels for single occupancy may vary or may not be available. Onboard incidentals, off-ship services, shore excursions and gratuities are not included in the point levels unless otherwise stated.

The direct link is: http://www.membershiprewards.com/Terms.aspx#FeaturedHotelProperties,VacationPackages,AndCruises

Let me know how this turns out.

Michael

Listed below is an excerpt from the email from AMEX

Thank you for your e-mail.

Prices shown are in US dollars, per person based on double occupancy, unless otherwise specified.

I hope this information has been helpful.

In our continuing effort to improve e-mail customer service, we would appreciate it if you would spend approximately 3-5 minutes to complete an on-line survey. Thanks in advance for your participation.

Please click on the URL link below to be taken directly into the survey:

When I first joined the reward program back around 1995, I remember it stating that the cruises were for two. Also back then, the redemption was about $0.01 for ever $1 spent. If you had 100,000 points, then the redemption value was around $1,000 in rewards. (roughly)

We do not use AMEX for the rewards program, but it seems that there has been an erosion of benefits over the years and I don't like it.

Hi-

I really think whoever sent you the email didn't know what he/she was talking about. If you read the cruise-specific terms and conditions, it states that point levels are based on double occupancy AND that point levels for single occupancy may vary or may not be available. That tells me the published point level is for two people. You should call 800-297-3276 and speak to a live person in the Land & Sea Vacations department.

Archived