Flightseeing help, Skagway vs. Ketchikan

chloes nana

We are doing the SB cruisetour on board the Zuiderdam in August 2010, we have two ports to do on our own as the land tour is first then the cruise. Skagway and Ketchikan both have flightseeing. In Skagway it is by helicopter to do the Glacier discovery and in Ketchikan it is by floatplane through Misty Fjords. As we only have the 2 ports, I want to do a flightseeing tour but they are expensive so we need to decide on 1. And I also want to see other things, wildlife, scenery etc.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We have a similar dilemma. I just read an article in Smithsonian magazine (this month's issue) and it was recommended to do the flight in Skagway and hit the glacier...I think I will research deeper, but I will probably follow that advice.

For clarification, there are also glaicer flights out of Skagway via plane, to Glacier Bay. The helicopter landings, and float planes are also very different from each other. With your interior tour- are you also have the option to flightsee McKinley, several various tours, including ski plane landings. They ALL are worthwhile, and again, different.

All are scenic, you may want to determine WHAT you wish to see?? Do you have an interest in a particular aircraft??? Ever been in a helicopter, float plane, ski plane etc?

with a wildlife priority, on the inside passage, you have whale watching and bear tours, via float planes out of Ketchikan. If going to Hoonah, drive in options for bears.

On your land tour, hopefully you have 2 nights at Denali Park??? This likely is your only "wildlife" area, unless you have time in Seward??? Necessary is to get into the park, for your wildlife and scenery priority, meaning the Tundra Wilderness tour. IF truely a priority, then getting to Eielson via shuttle is even better. Make the most of your time, and be in the right places to suit your touring preference.

Alaska weather changes often and sometimes rapidly. I would do your flight seeing at the first opportunity so if the weather treats you badly on later days, you will have had your chance to do so.

If you go back a few weeks/months in the postings on this topic you will find many first hand trip reports that discuss flying tours. Use this resource!

Flight seeing is both expensive and often cancelled due to weather. If your tour is cancelled you get a refund.

so your suggestion is really to do the flight in Skagway? we want to do the crabbing adventure in Ketchikan, and are not sure if there is enough time for all of it. I want to see scenery and glaciers and walking on the glacier is a want of my DH. So looks like the SKagway Helicopter and glacier adventure is the 1st choice.

What I am saying is that you don't want to get to your last port of call only to find poor weather and no way to fly.

DH and I discussed just this, we are probably flying into Anchorage a couple days early and may try flightseeing there and open up Skagway for more sightseeing options. Too many options and I am feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment. guess I will start by spending a couple days on the internet and researching Anchorage and Vancouver for options.:rolleyes:

DH and I discussed just this, we are probably flying into Anchorage a couple days early and may try flightseeing there and open up Skagway for more sightseeing options. Too many options and I am feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment. guess I will start by spending a couple days on the internet and researching Anchorage and Vancouver for options.:rolleyes:

I suggest, you look at what you can afford timewise, in Anchorage?? I wouldn't be flying there, early, just to "fly", look at ALL the other touring options as a whole and where you want to be and do. Glacier flightseeing out of Seward, "overall" is less canceled. A "problem" with any flying, is, it really makes no sense to consider your bookings based on the chance of cancelation, as there is NO way to predict, what you are going to run into on your particular day. SO, the recommendation I have, is to book your flying at the first available opportunity, if it is a "must do" for you. AND be realistic, there is no "perfect" trip, that some people are trying to have. Always have back up plans and consider any touring a gift. :)

I suggest, you look at what you can afford timewise, in Anchorage?? I wouldn't be flying there, early, just to "fly", look at ALL the other touring options as a whole and where you want to be and do. Glacier flightseeing out of Seward, "overall" is less canceled. :)

We are not going into Seward. with this cruisetour it is 10 days land fisrt through the Klondike/Yukon territories with a double Denali night. the only ports we have are: Skagway, Ketchikan and ending in Vancouver, with flight into Anchorage. DH wants to do the flying thing I personally like the ground tours and scenery. So just trying get the best option. I know there is no perfect trip and am not trying to plan one, just getting the best option. Since there are really only the 2 ports the cost is not the option, it is the scenery. Which would you personally choose?:confused:

We are not going into Seward. with this cruisetour it is 10 days land fisrt through the Klondike/Yukon territories with a double Denali night. the only ports we have are: Skagway, Ketchikan and ending in Vancouver, with flight into Anchorage. DH wants to do the flying thing I personally like the ground tours and scenery. So just trying get the best option. I know there is no perfect trip and am not trying to plan one, just getting the best option. Since there are really only the 2 ports the cost is not the option, it is the scenery. Which would you personally choose?:confused:

There is no aircraft preference??? What else is of interest in these two ports??? Any interest in increasing the wildlife priority past Denali Park??

There are four flightseeing areas on your itinerary. Helicopter and planes out of Skagway, float planes out of Ketchikan, planes and helicopters out of Denali Park. Floatplanes out of Anchorage. Pick one, where it fits your time best.

There is no aircraft preference??? What else is of interest in these two ports??? Any interest in increasing the wildlife priority past Denali Park??

what would be your preference?? a floatplane or a helicopter? we assumed the view would be better in the helicopter over the plane? we have done a helicopter tour in Europe, and in Hawaii twice. I think it would have to be the glacier viewing and scenery from the air would be our preference with a chance to walk on the glaciers and learn about them a little more. Suggestions??

what would be your preference?? a floatplane or a helicopter? we assumed the view would be better in the helicopter over the plane? we have done a helicopter tour in Europe, and in Hawaii twice. I think it would have to be the glacier viewing and scenery from the air would be our preference with a chance to walk on the glaciers and learn about them a little more. Suggestions??

You answered your own question. :)

Archived