Dam Dollars are Dead

Old Salty Dog

No more Dam Dollars. Just got off 3 weeks on the Maasdam and found they no longer have Dam Dollar activities. They said this was fleet-wide. Many of the activities included for Dam Dollar participation are still going on, but now prizes are given to only the winners or top scorers - like key chains, luggage tags, mugs, t-shirts, etc. No more opportunity to accumulate enough dough to get the good seatshirts, umbrellas, etc. This is very recent because the dollars were still going strong in March when we were on the Zaandam.

Just got off the Zuiderdam yesterday, Dam Dollars still going strong. We got a sweatshirt! Husband and son also won t-shirts at the ping-pong tournament. But CD Shane did say they didn't know how long they would be doing the Dam Dollars program.

Kim:

During the redemption thing on the last day of the cruise, DJ Mark said to not bother holding on to your dam dollars - and to spend away.

The crowd of 20-30-somethings I ran with on the ship - we pooled our dollars and we all walked away with a nice picture frame.

Just to support Old Salty Dog - I just got off the Maasdam, too, (though I wasn't lucky enough to be on for 3 weeks) and it's just as he said - no Dam dollar events. They had plenty of events, but, no Dam dollars. Even had some games like charades, etc., during the day, along with the old Dam dollar events. So, spend those Dam dollars fast or they will be the equivalent of confederate money :)

On my last cruise on the Zuiderdam in August, 2009 we still had the dam dollars. However, some of the dam dollar events weren't as much fun as before. The DJ who ran the events did some of them using the television screen with a Wii game on it. You didnt get to meet other people as you just came into the lounge, played the bowling or tennis game on the TV and left. They did give out dam dollars for other things though, such as "Name that tune" in the piano bar in the evening.

Off the Veendam last week...no more Dam Dollars. And on top of that the activities were a joke...majority of days only one activity that used to be part of the Dam Dollars....all were run by the DJ....not very impressed compared to our previous HAL cruises.....

I'm still holding onto my "Passport to Fitness" waiting for that program to come back...

We still have three full books too... we were told to hang unto them when they ran out of stuff while on board quite a few years ago..

Get passengers hooked on a new program that works well and then cancel it... just to keep em guessing.. the new collectibles.;)

We got off the Volendam in Hong Kong last week. That was the end of DD there, we were told. Too bad, it was a lot of fun. They were far more stingy with them then on other HAL cruises in the past. The first half of the cruise, Seattle to Kobe, Japan, there were lots of sea days, in fact 8 in a row, and many opportunities to earn DD's. Second half had more port days, and fewer opportunities. Still, I manage to earn enough for a tee shirt and a windbreaker. There were not many items offered on the DD program, last year on the Noordam in the Caribbean, there were many more, and far fewer DD's required.

• 2 months later...

I called HAL and they told me that the Dam dollar events were not well attended or popular with guests so they were discontinued!! We all know this is NOT TRUE!

EMAIL HOLLAND AMERICA and tell them we are not happy about their decision to end Dam dollars and Passport to Fitness!

What is next to go? Breakfast.....:confused:

Archived