Mercury 10-12-09 Just Back

ackieboy

Hi!

I just returned from the 10/12 11 night sailing on the Mercury from Vancouver to San Diego and it was a wonderful cruise. I will try to post a full report when I get a moment, but in the meantime, if anyone has any questions, I would be glad to answer them. We did have a very nice Cruise Critic get together which was attended by over 60 members as well as the cruise director and several members of the staff. The weather was less than spectacular in several ports, but I think everyone took it in stride. If anyone has any specific questions about the ship or the cruise, I would be glad to answer them.

Regards,

Dean

Hello' date=' Dean! My husband & I are sailing on Mercury Nov. 21-30th. I was wondering what brand of toiletries they provide. We've only cruised once before- on Azamara and they provided lovely items. Thanks in advance if you can help! Annie[/quote']

Hi!

I am sorry, but I didn't take a good look at the brand of toiletries. However, if there is anything else I can possibly answer for you I will be glad to help. Take care.

Hi!

I just returned from the 10/12 11 night sailing on the Mercury from Vancouver to San Diego and it was a wonderful cruise. I will try to post a full report when I get a moment, but in the meantime, if anyone has any questions, I would be glad to answer them. We did have a very nice Cruise Critic get together which was attended by over 60 members as well as the cruise director and several members of the staff. The weather was less than spectacular in several ports, but I think everyone took it in stride. If anyone has any specific questions about the ship or the cruise, I would be glad to answer them.

Regards,

Dean

We are sailing on the Mercury out of Charleston on March 19, 2010 and would like to hear your comments about the ship, food and crew. The last time we sailed on the Mercury was Alaska, July 1998!

Carol

We are on the Wine cruise from Vancouver to San Diego on 9/17/2010 and I am wondering what was your highlight on this cruise and what excursions did you take? Anything you would recommend us doing on our cruise.

Cindy

Hi!

It's hard to say what the highlight was. On this cruise we didn't do that many excursions, as we had been to several of the ports before. In San Francisco, we took the ferry to Sausalito one day and the following day we walked to Ghirardelli Square and then took a trolley tour of the city which we bought right on the pier. In Victoria, we did a hop on hop off bus, because we had been to Butchart Gardens previously, however, if you haven't been, I highly recommend it. In Seattle, we took the ships excursion to the Space Needle and Pike Place Market, which I thought was great. In Astoria we did the Flavel House Tour and Tea, which was perfect, because the weather was not good that day. In Nanaimo, we booked a tour with a local guide right on the pier. In Monterrey, we did the 17 Mile Drive and Carmel Tour through the ship. This is a trip I have taken several times and loved each time. If you can, I would plan on arriving a day or two early in Vancouver, as it is a great city with much to see and do and great restaurants. When you are there, I would either take a hop on hop off bus or cab and go to Granville Island Public Market. It is a wonderful place to walk around and snack your way through. I hope this is helpful. If I can answer any other questions, please feel free to ask me.

Regards,

Dean

We are sailing on the Mercury out of Charleston on March 19, 2010 and would like to hear your comments about the ship, food and crew. The last time we sailed on the Mercury was Alaska, July 1998!

Carol

I thought the ship was very comfortable and well maintained. It is important to remember she is not brand new, but she is very well maintained. I thought our cabin,

Vista 9151 was rather small, but made very efficient use of space. I cannot say enough about the staff. Everyone I encountered from the dining room staff to the waiters in the Palm Springs Cafe to the activities staff was wonderful. Also, our Cruise Director, Stewart Turnbull was great. Any other questions, please ask me.

Regards,

Dean

Dean - I feel like a broken record, but I'm trying to get a definitive answer...do you know what the cost of the Thelassotherapy pool and steam/sauna was?

We'll be sailing on her in May and these features are important to us. We're trying to budget them in. :)

Thanks in advance!

ackieboy ...

We're sailing on Mercury out of Baltimore in January. I realize the subject of food quality is highly subjective but I was surprised with the second quote (below yours) about food quality. Would you care to expand you evaluation of the food in the MDR and other locations?

Thanks ... Cal

The food was excellent and our team in the dining room, Carlos, our waiter and Joel, his assistant were terrific!

:( We just got off the Mercury in Dan Diego prior to your Panama cruise. We will be very interested to know about your experience on board. The entertainment was on the whole better than our previous cruise on the Mercury - the dancers/singers in the shows were perhaps the best we have seen on any cruise. When we sailed on Mercury last year to Alaska we thought the food in the MDR was some of the best we had experienced on any cruise line/ship, however, this time we and the other three couples that shared our table in the MDR, were very disappointed with the food - quality of the ingredients (meat/fish, etc) was very poor, as was the standard of cooking. The food in the other venues seemed just as good as last time.

ackieboy ...

We're sailing on Mercury out of Baltimore in January. I realize the subject of food quality is highly subjective but I was surprised with the second quote (below yours) about food quality. Would you care to expand you evaluation of the food in the MDR and other locations?

Thanks ... Cal

Hi

Having sailed on about 25 cruises on a variety of lines (not that that makes me an expert, I just know what I like and what I don't), I have to say that my three sailings on Celebrity (two on Constellation and this last one on Mercury had some of the most consistently good food I have had on a cruise ship. While I am sure not everything would be to everyone's taste, I found overall, the quality of the meat to be very good, with the lamb chops being a standout. The fish, on the several occasions I had it was delicious, and I am picky about fish. Another highlight for me was the Osso Buco, which I have ordered on each of my Celebrity Cruises and found it to be delicious each time. I think it is important to remember, that in a setting where there are 2000+ people to feed, it is nearly impossible to please everyone. However of the mass market cruiselines on which I have traveled, Celebrity provides one of the most consistent products in the culinary department. Also, their desserts are some of the best I have had at sea. Again, this is just one person's opinion and everyone must ultimately judge for themselves. Any other questions, please feel free to ask me.

Regards,

Dean

HI can you please verify that the pools outside and inside had steps verses ladders down to the water , am handicapped and like to swim and per some of the photos i was looking at it looked like they had a staircase down to the pool water thanks for any help frank

HI thanks for taking the time to read my post can you please answer a question , i am hanidcapped and like to swim per the photgraphs i have been looking at of the mercury it looks like the outside pools have steps down to the water verses ladders can you please verify that this will make a great difference for me thanks a lot frank

Dean - I feel like a broken record, but I'm trying to get a definitive answer...do you know what the cost of the Thelassotherapy pool and steam/sauna was?

We'll be sailing on her in May and these features are important to us. We're trying to budget them in. :)

Thanks in advance!

Someone posted on another thread that it is $20/day. Suites are free. This is on Mercury.

Archived