NCL- Getting wine onboard

angel 77

I am travelling in NOV on NCL, and am wondering if I can take a couple of bottles on board with me without paying the corkage fee b/c I want to consume them in our cabin. I will be opening and pouring...I would like to know if anyone has packed bottles in the luggage that has gotten through.

It all depends where you are traveling. It seems that the Mediterranean ports were not allowing bottles to be brought on at all, even with the corkage fee. I personally did not try--even though I wanted to test it out. Others I know who bought wine had it sent away upon re entering the ship. They did not ask about corkage fees, so I don't know if they had asked if they would have been allowed or not.

However, onboard were offering a special if you bought 6--8 bottles of wine, you could get a 20% discount.

In the US--you can bring bottles (I personally have only brought 4), and pay $15 corkage on each of them. There are no "freebies'.

I have never tried to sneak wine on board, because I think it would be nearly impossible. We always go to a nearby store and buy some of our favorites and pay the $15 fee per bottle. It is still less expensive than paying their inflated price along with the 15% auto tip. It doesn't matter if you drink it in your cabin or not, you still have to pay the $15 charge per bottle brought on board. I tried to attach the wine list I was sent last spring from NCL, but the file was too large. You can send me your email address and I'll send it to you or you can contact your ship coordinator and she will send it to you. Happy cruising! Debbie

Thanks for the replies :)

I have taken liquor on other cruises packed in my luggage and have not has a problem, but have not been in NCL before. Do they ask as you are boarding if you have wine or liquor, or do you get charged the corkage fee if you bring the wine to the dining room?

That's one complaint I have with my recent cruise. I ordered a glass of Riesling at dinner several nights. Towards the end, they said they ran out but they could sell me a bottle of it. That really ticked me off. The manager was asked and she confirmed none was available. I should have bought a bottle and had it saved for me for those times I wanted a glass.

BTW, they xray your packages when you return to the ship each time.

I brought wine aboard on my cruise last week. I just brought one of those box wines and took it out of the box. I wrapped it with bubble wrap and put it in a big plastic bag and it made it fine. I also bought drinks everyday, and occasionally a bottle for dinner, but just wanted some wine to enjoy in our room before dinner. A friend brought hard liquor in the rum runners and it made it aboard fine too.

I also brought a box onboard the Star last month. I just put the whole thing in our luggage, no problem. The 2 bottles of champagne we carried on we paid the corkage fee for. I'd stop at a bar on the way back to the room and pick up glasses, it was nice to have before dinner.

Vic

Thanks for the replies :)

I have taken liquor on other cruises packed in my luggage and have not has a problem, but have not been in NCL before. Do they ask as you are boarding if you have wine or liquor, or do you get charged the corkage fee if you bring the wine to the dining room?

My suggestion is to put the wine in your carry on luggage. If its detected then you pay the corkage fee before boarding. If its detected or not is a real hit or miss proposition. It really depends on the port. NCL will charge you the corkage fee for bringing the wine on board, a stamp will be placed on it and then you can bring the wine in the dining room If the wine is not detected then you will not be able to bring it into the dining room, no stamp..Hope this helps.

..... I tried to attach the wine list I was sent last spring from NCL, but the file was too large. You can send me your email address and I'll send it to you or you can contact your ship coordinator and she will send it to you. Happy cruising! Debbie

Hi Debbie,

I would love a copy of the wine list too if you wouldn't mind sending it to me please .... only thing is, I don't know how to send you my e-mail off forum??:o

Thanks,

Only

On a side note - do they allow non alcoholic drinks aboard?

I have heard mixed information about this.

They do allow soda, water and juice. I think they word the policy poorly on purpose in an effort to dissuade the practice. We brought coca cola on board in our carry-on and I've heard of others attaching a luggage tag to the case.

I also brought a box onboard the Star last month. I just put the whole thing in our luggage, no problem. The 2 bottles of champagne we carried on we paid the corkage fee for. I'd stop at a bar on the way back to the room and pick up glasses, it was nice to have before dinner.

Vic

I did the same thing with no problem. I also bought two bottles of mixers in my carry on since we were in an Owner's Suite and got three bottles of liquor.

My husband and I got off the Pearl a couple of weeks ago. We were celebrating our anniversary. As a gift, my sister and brother-in-law brought a bottle of Asti in their checked luggage. I asked her if she was charged a corkage fee. She looked at me like "What are you talking about?" She just packed it with bubble wrap in a brown paper bag. When I took the bottle to dinner it didn't have a seal for the corkage fee, but the waiters never said anything. I guess they can't catch every bottle in checked luggage. You just take a chance. If it were me, I would probably just carry it on the ship and pay the corkage fee.

On a side note - do they allow non alcoholic drinks aboard?

I have heard mixed information about this.

We put two 8-pack bottles of Diet Pepsi in a duffel tote and checked it in and had no difficulty.

My suggestion is to put the two bottles of wine in your carry on luggage. They will be caught at the xray station. This is the only time your carry on will be xrayed. You will be directed to the desk to pay the corkage fee. Pull out only one bottle and pay the fee.

Not sure how much wine you drink but, if you go through a bottle or so a day (for two people) then, the recent highly-promoted option they had on board the Spirit was - Buy 6 Bottles and receive 20% Discount off the entire order. You could mix and match, red and white, expensive and inexpensive, but, we've found that the cheapest Spanish red (can't remember the name - who could after drinking 6 bottles :D) at about $27/bottle was fine for us every day. They took our order in the atrium and, within half-an-hour had delivered all 6 bottles to our room with glasses, a corkscrew and a smile. Win/win situation - we didn't have to rip off the cruise line and we didn't feel ripped off by them.

The info that you can buy 6 bottles of wine and get a 20% discount is good to hear. That is what we will do. It avoids the hassle of lugging the wine on board and then having to go pay the corkage fee. I am sure they will have a few wines that we will like and we might find a new one that we will enjoy.

My husband enjoys having a beer once in a while too. Do they have any beer specials like the wine special that I can buy for him to enjoy in our cabin?

The info that you can buy 6 bottles of wine and get a 20% discount is good to hear. That is what we will do. It avoids the hassle of lugging the wine on board and then having to go pay the corkage fee. I am sure they will have a few wines that we will like and we might find a new one that we will enjoy.

My husband enjoys having a beer once in a while too. Do they have any beer specials like the wine special that I can buy for him to enjoy in our cabin?

My husband likes beer as well so, in the evening, I'd just take my bottle (or just a glass, depending on how I was feeling and where we were going) to the Pub, or the restaurant or the Theatre and have my wine while he enjoyed his Bass Ale. I forgot to say that, although the wine was delivered to our cabin, it wasn't necessary to consume it there. I saw lots of people toting bottles and glasses around. Makes me feel kind of naughty, don't know why but, I like it :p....

Not sure how much wine you drink but, if you go through a bottle or so a day (for two people) then, the recent highly-promoted option they had on board the Spirit was - Buy 6 Bottles and receive 20% Discount off the entire order. You could mix and match, red and white, expensive and inexpensive, but, we've found that the cheapest Spanish red (can't remember the name - who could after drinking 6 bottles :D) at about $27/bottle was fine for us every day. They took our order in the atrium and, within half-an-hour had delivered all 6 bottles to our room with glasses, a corkscrew and a smile. Win/win situation - we didn't have to rip off the cruise line and we didn't feel ripped off by them.

Was the wine decent and can you have it with your dinner? Do you have to have it delivered to your room?

Was the wine decent and can you have it with your dinner? Do you have to have it delivered to your room?

"...we found the cheapest Spanish red was fine for us..." That's us. Your mileage may vary. I don't think you need to have it delivered to your room but, it does save the delay in them digging it out of storage every time you go to a pub or restaurant. That's the part I never really liked about ordering a bottle - having them store and retrieve it. As with the quality of the wine, your mileage may vary in this repect.

My husband likes beer as well so, in the evening, I'd just take my bottle (or just a glass, depending on how I was feeling and where we were going) to the Pub, or the restaurant or the Theatre and have my wine while he enjoyed his Bass Ale. I forgot to say that, although the wine was delivered to our cabin, it wasn't necessary to consume it there. I saw lots of people toting bottles and glasses around. Makes me feel kind of naughty, don't know why but, I like it :p....

So you're part of the naughty but nice family??:) :D Sounds like fun. Is the wine the same price on all of the ships?

The corkage fee is only $15 per bottle, I would just pay it. There is always a chance they will not see the bottles in your bag, but do you want to waste valuable cruise time going to the "Naughty Room"?

Yeah...I was called to naughty room.....I had it in my luggage and wasn't trying to sneak. I thought the corkage would be assessed when they saw it in the bag. I had no idea that my bag would be taken to naughty room and then I would have to claim it. It only took five minutes and the guys were really cool about it....I signed the receipt and off I went..... But the bag did not come to my room and I claimed it after sailawy...... so not relally worth the hassel if you are thinking about sneaking. And judgeing from the hundreds of bottles I saw on the floor with tags on them....they are pretty good at catching people.......Also once you pay the corkage fee you can bring it around with you or leave it at a bar tand they will pour it for you the next night.... if you sneak it you can't do that because it doesn't have a sticker.

Archived