Anyone have experience with September in Alaska?

Sailkeywest

In response to ICMLady's post, I would dearly love to see the Northern Lights, I love nothing more than staring up at the stars. Hubby and I watch all those 'Universe' shows on the Science Channel all the time, sometimes several times over. Alas it we won't be seeing them on this trip :(

This post is way out of date for the 2010 season, as it is an off peak year for aurora.

This post is way out of date for the 2010 season, as it is an off peak year for aurora.

That's not really true - since the aurora is on an 11-year cycle and the next peak is the winter of 2011-2012, the Fall of 2010 is only one year off peak. An optimist would say that it has very good potential for viewings. I'm still waiting for the first one this year......

That's not really true - since the aurora is on an 11-year cycle and the next peak is the winter of 2011-2012, the Fall of 2010 is only one year off peak. An optimist would say that it has very good potential for viewings. I'm still waiting for the first one this year......

Oh Murray, you know, I want peak everything!!!!!! :) Keep us all posted what you see. I have a "way off" basic plan of being in Fairbanks 3-12, again.

My best Northern Lights viewings ever were by chance (not genius scheduling) during autumn camping in Denali. Sat outside all night wearing a sleeping bag and a blanket. Wonderful!

Way out of the usual tourist season.

My best was 3-03 during an extremely active display period. Even got to see some research rockets set off by Poker Flats. Had about 10 out of 14 days of excellent aurora. Most all night long. Too bad that Cleary Summit B&B closed, was a superb location, set up for aurora, with the "red" lights throughout the house, wrap around deck and heated porches. OH, Boy, hope I get to see it all again, in 2+++ years. :)

Haven't read the posts above but we just got back from the 2 week Serenade repositioning Alaska and West Coast.....Tracy Arm was beautiful and yes we got all the way up and personal with the waterfalls and the glacier. Also, we were prepared for rain with a slicker and umbrella....weather is what weather is......temps were moderate in Alaska 50's so did not wear the turtlenecks we took...only a shirt with a "light fleece" jacket except while at the Glacier it was COLD!!! so hat and mittens were added!!! amazing how the cold from the glacier comes thru the fjord....but they serve hot chocolate with "power" in it!!!

Ask any questions....oh the west coast was very warm for the season.

Lou

BQKali, it is the excursions that I am most concerned with. We would like to do an aerial tour at one of the ports, and booking it ourselves. If the weather isn't permitting, I am wondering how good these companies are about giving you your money back, because on their sites, they say that they "can reschedule," but I can't :P

Going to read your review now, thanks :)

When you book ANY independent excursion of any type, it is VITALLY IMPORTANT that you have a very clear written statement of cancellation and refund policy from the vendor. This is especially important with expensive excursions that are subject to cancellation for weather or other reasons, such as flight seeing. NEVER depend on what somebody else says or what is posted on a board such as this one.

That said, I think that most of the flightseeing operators recommended on this board are very reliable, and are used to handling exactly this situation with cruise ship passengers, so they will be very reasonable in their policy. BUT -- CHECK IT!!

Have a GREAT cruise!

When you book ANY independent excursion of any type, it is VITALLY IMPORTANT that you have a very clear written statement of cancellation and refund policy from the vendor. This is especially important with expensive excursions that are subject to cancellation for weather or other reasons, such as flight seeing. NEVER depend on what somebody else says or what is posted on a board such as this one.

That said, I think that most of the flightseeing operators recommended on this board are very reliable, and are used to handling exactly this situation with cruise ship passengers, so they will be very reasonable in their policy. BUT -- CHECK IT!!

Have a GREAT cruise!

It is the same when you book excursion through cruiseline, always check the fine print for the cancellation policy.

I recently returned from a Sept cruisetour & I loved it. The colors in Denali were so beautiful, & we were fortunate to see Mt. McKinley for 3 consecutive days which we were told is rare. There was no rain during the land portion & the temps ranged from 40-60. I went on a glacier flight out of Healy & there was snow & clouds, but the weather changes so quickly, we were able to land on Eldredge Glacier which was indescribable. Boarding day in Whittier was cold & rainy, but we still went on an excursion to Esther Passage & Barry Arm, seeing seals, otters, & eagles, along with the beautiful scenery. Glacier Bay was foggy starting in, but cleared completely as the morning progressed, Skagway was clear, Juneau was rainy, but we still saw Glacier Gardens & went whale watching seeing many whales. Ketchikan was rainy, but I still went flightseeing to Misty Fiords. The only excursion that was cancelled was the Kenai Fjords cruise due to 50 MPH winds. A Princess ship in port delayed sailing due to the terrible weather. Go when the price & time is right for you. I want to return soon, & will probably go in the fall again. The colors are worth the cooler weather, so just go prepared with a good rain jacket & waterproof shoes.

Sailkeywest, I hope my previous remarks were not misleading. They pertained only to the Lynn Canal, between Juneau and Skagway, in reply to a previous poster's comments about the late departure times at those ports.

It is true that the Zuiderdam is scheduled to cruise through the Lynn Canal after dark in both directions (on Sept. 20 and 21), but you would have other opportunities to use your balcony for sightseeing during daylight hours in scenic areas, most notably Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay. The daytime approaches to Juneau and Ketchikan should provide good views too.

If the 2 days "At Sea" are through the Canadian Inside Passage on the east side of Vancouver Island, as shown on the map, then you should see some very nice scenery from your balcony on those days as well, as long as the weather cooperates (something nobody can predict).

Since the drawbacks of late September cruises have already been pointed out, it seems only fair also to mention the benefits:

some great breaks on cruise prices are often available; children are back in school so few of them will be on the ship; the ships, ports and excursions are less crowded; there are great end-of-season sales on ship merchandise and at the stores in the ports that are still open.

Sorry for the delayed response, been working hard all week! Thank you, fleckle for the tips, they are much appreciated. I tend to forget "this is night cruising, this is where we will be during the day." I am keeping the date for our cruise (for now) because I reallly want to feel the cold air and know that it is fall. The price that I got for our suite is pretty much at the top of the price range that we wanted to spend, and I am totally in love with that balcony. I fall asleep at night thinking about just standing on that balcony, raining or not. I think that the floor that I am on, it is mostly, if not completely covered (5190 is the suite number). Correct me if anyone knows otherwise. :)

Penny, I know how you feel, I really want to smell and feel a difference. Thanks for the info about the Norhern lights and "snow." I can dream about the snow anyway! (no, I don't think it will snow, but would be nice to see some!)

Juneaugal, thanks for the insider's tips from the locals viewpoint. It really is something to think about, perhaps if they lowered the SC suite prices.... Anyway, even if it doesn't happen, I think that we are going to love it anyway. Anything different is good!

CRUISINGRIGHTALONG -- Thanks for the info about your trip, I have heard that in September that the cruise ships more often make it all the way to the end of Tracy Arm, and I am hoping for that! As for questions, if you read this, how foggy was it? thanks

MercedMike and Knorrisb -- Thanks for the reminder about getting cancellation policies in writing, most of what the tour businesses are saying is "we can reschedule," but I can't reschedule, and I don't really want to be stuck waiting in their office all day hoping for the weather to clear up because of that policy.

Oldmama -- "we were fortunate to see Mt. McKinley for 3 consecutive days which we were told is rare." Wouldn't that be wonderful :) Lucky you!

Sorry for the long post, but I like to take the time to respond to people who are kind enough to take the time to respond to my questions :)

We just got back from Alaska we went from 9/11/2009 to 9/18/2009 and beening from Fl like you I was perpared for the rain. and most days it rained al ittle in the morning then stop the only day we had rain the whole day was Ketchican but it wasnt anything like Fl rain you could walk around with just a rain coat on. we also got closer then anyone esle that year to hubbard glaicer we talk to so many people that have gone many times and not even seen the glaicer so to me it sounds like your taking a change on having bad weather any time of the year, so when ever you do go be perpared for rain and when it dosnt you will be happy.

Archived