Rhapsody of the seas....Honolulu to Sydney 29th Sept 2010

deeej

Hi guys..im new to this site and hopefully im posting this in the right section. We have done 2 cruises in the past 2 years...both around the south pacific onboard P&O SUN and DAWN. Had a fantastic time. We are going on a round trip cruise to New Zealand in January 2010 on the new Pacific Jewel but my questions here are for a cruise we would love to do in September 2010 onboard the Rhapsody of the seas. We fly to Honolulu ( hoping to arrive a few days early so we can spend time looking aorund there so if anyone knows of a close and realtively cheap nice accommoadtion id love to hear about it) then 17 night cruise to Sydney? Has anyone done this cruise before? I have no clue what the Rhapsody is like in comparison to P&O ships....will be exciting to try something different. Any hints on this ship? Someone told me you can get a coffee card and ice cream card? Is this true..how does it work? Also probably a silly question but with the soda card i read about on here...for those that want to get say an alcoholic mixer drink...vodka and coke etc...how does that work with the card? Do we just pay for the alcoholo portion or is it not worth buying the card. We stop at Bora Bora, Moorea, Papeete and raiatea. Any info would be so greatly appreciated.

Thanks heaps, Donna

Hi Donna,

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You have chosen a lovely ship and wonderful itinerary. I am sure some will come on soon and answer your questions as quite a few on this board have ,or will soon have, sailed on Rhapsody, so keep checking back.

Did you know about the Roll Calls?

If you check here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=270

and go through the list I think one has been started for your cruise.

Roll calls are great way to meet and chat with other folk you will be sailing with.

Hi Donna,

My sister just did this same cruise in September this year. She loved it!!

She said the ship was beautiful. She booked an ocean view and was upgraded to a balcony, so she was very happy! We would love to do the same cruise next year but we are going on the Pacific Dawn in Feb, so we are hopeing they will be still doing that cruise in 2011. Fingers crossed:D

Shelley:)

Hi Shelley :)

Have you been on the Dawn before? We went on about 12 months ago and loved it. The dome is so lovely to sit and relax through the day and yet so alive as a nightclub at night. We were booked to go back on 31st january 2010 but now P&O have automatically switched us to the new Jewel. Im a little disappointed because it doesnt have the dome and it only has 2 small whirlpool spas. I hope you get to do the rhapsody in 2011. It will fly by in no time.

Regards, Donna

Oops i mean we went on the SUN in 2008!

Hi Donna,

I am so excited i've heard such good reports about the Dawn.

I see you are going to NZ in January. We are also going to NZ in Feb. You are lucky doing the Hawaii cruise in the same year - I'm jealous:D Do you travel with your family?

We stayed at the Ilima Hotel in Waikiki. It was really reasonably priced, on the river (ask for a River view) and only a couple of blocks from the beach. Room was large with a little kitchen (stove, microwave, fridge) and a bathtub as well as a shower in the bathroom. The pool is small but we were always the only ones there anyway. The staff were always helpful and friendly. We met a few repeat customers in the lobby and I would stay there again in a heartbeat for the price and amenities, although it is probably only about a 3 star rating.

Oops i mean we went on the SUN in 2008!

Hi Donna,

I am so excited i've heard such good reports about the Dawn.

I see you are going to NZ in January. We are also going to NZ in Feb. You are lucky doing the Hawaii cruise in the same year - I'm jealous:D Do you travel with your family?

Hi Shelley :)

Yes i really loved the Dawn...we went in a group of about 19 and each arvo we would meet up the back of the ship ( grab plates of prawns and cheeses etc from the buffet) and sit and meet up and discuss our day. It was just outside the buffet and handy for coffee and eats and there was also 2 spas there. Just sitting there right at the back watching the we water behind us was beautiful!!!

We didn't go with family Shelley...the one before our adopted daughter (19) came which was wonderful and my Mother in law which was far from wonderful lol ( never again).

Last cruise there was 19 friends and wow did we have a blast. Some of the crew came up and hugged us, remembering us from the SUN a year previous. I was dumbfounded!!! They see thousands of travellers and to remember hubby and i..we felt quite special. A few still keep in touch with us via email which is really lovely.

Not sure how 2 cruises in one year came about...im a lucky girl :) Just gotta pay for them now LOL.

Im on weekly chemo darlin so we are just trying to do everything NOW. Not that i plan on going anywhere...why the heck would i when i have found a life of cruising????

Love Donna

We stayed at the Ilima Hotel in Waikiki. It was really reasonably priced, on the river (ask for a River view) and only a couple of blocks from the beach. Room was large with a little kitchen (stove, microwave, fridge) and a bathtub as well as a shower in the bathroom. The pool is small but we were always the only ones there anyway. The staff were always helpful and friendly. We met a few repeat customers in the lobby and I would stay there again in a heartbeat for the price and amenities, although it is probably only about a 3 star rating.

Hi MsGinny :)

Thanks so much for that...i am definitely going to look into that hotel. Is it far from the airport and where we get on the ship? Sorry but im not up to speed yet with the locations in hawaii.

Love Donna

Donna

It sounds like you had a fabulous time with your friends. That is great you were able to cruise with so many friends. My husband and i are trying to talk our good friends into coming on with us in 2011, but the husband is worried about getting too bored on the ship (Silly boy). Trying to explain to him there is plenty to do or if you like, do nothing - I can see it now, lying on a deck chair around the pool with a drink in hand and reading a good book..........

ahh Heaven:p

The Ilima Hotel is in Waikiki. We took the airport shuttle bus from the Airport which was about $9 each from memory and it dropped us at the hotel. We then share a taxi limo with another couple who were in the lobby and heading to the same cruise! I can't remember the cost though sorry, but think it was in the vicinity of $40 which included tip. You do need to get a taxi to the pier unless you have a rental car I guess. Hope that helps.

Hi guys..I'm new to this site and hopefully im posting this in the right section. We have done 2 cruises in the past 2 years...both around the south pacific on board P&O SUN and DAWN. Had a fantastic time. We are going on a round trip cruise to New Zealand in January 2010 on the new Pacific Jewel but my questions here are for a cruise we would love to do in September 2010 on board the Rhapsody of the seas. We fly to Honolulu ( hoping to arrive a few days early so we can spend time looking around there so if anyone knows of a close and relatively cheap nice accommodation id love to hear about it) then 17 night cruise to Sydney? Has anyone done this cruise before? I have no clue what the Rhapsody is like in comparison to P&O ships....will be exciting to try something different. Any hints on this ship? Someone told me you can get a coffee card and ice cream card? Is this true..how does it work? Also probably a silly question but with the soda card i read about on here...for those that want to get say an alcoholic mixer drink...vodka and coke etc...how does that work with the card? Do we just pay for the alcohol portion or is it not worth buying the card. We stop at Bora Bora, Moorea, Papeete and raiatea. Any info would be so greatly appreciated.

Thanks heaps, Donna

My DH and l are also cruising to NZ in Jan 2010, we cruised on the ROS in Dec 2008 and she is a very beautiful ship. We never saw or heard of any one being able to purchase an ice cream card or a coffee card. We would of bought one ourselves if they were available at that time. When we cruised on the Sapphire princess in 2007 you could purchase a coffee card.

My DH and l always purchase a soda package whilst on board the ship, on the last night of our cruise l found out that l could get lemon, lime and bitters in my lemonade, l was not charged any thing for this.

l am not sure if this is still available, maybe some one who has recently cruised on the ROS can tell us if we can get something added to our soda drinks and if so how much will it cost.

weed1327

Hi Weed, yes that would be great if anyone can shed some light on that.

I'm not a great alcohol drinker as a rule but on a cruise well its the one time we do like to sit in the spa or pool and sip on drinks.

So im wondering what they charge to add alcohol to the soda if you purchase the soad card. Maybe its not worth buying it.

Donna

Archived