Carseats and excursions????

ergirl1120

I am taking my 20 month on a cruise in march. obviously we are taking the carseat for the plane, but what about the excursions on the islands? do we take the carseat in the taxis etc?

Anything other things that I should know about cruising with kids under 2 would be much appreciated!!

I think it depends on where you are going and if you are doing the cruise tours or taking a cab to a beach. It is difficult to find a cab with seatbelts in several ports (eastern better than western) and several of the cruise tours are on open air buses or other vehicles that do not have seatbelts. In general most people on here have said it is difficult to use a carseat in most of the ports.

I am taking my 20 month on a cruise in march. obviously we are taking the carseat for the plane, but what about the excursions on the islands? do we take the carseat in the taxis etc?

Anything other things that I should know about cruising with kids under 2 would be much appreciated!!

Have you considered a sit n stroll? It is a car seat that converts to a stroller with a push on a handle. Not convenient for every day but we use one for travel.

i had the same issue, but i found the tote and go (portable car seat) was more trouble---few cabs had seat belts i could find and many buses--if there was a seat belt (lap only), i just strapped her in. you might consider a tote and go (cosco), b/c you can put it in totebag at beach.

Just back from cruising with our 16 month DD. We did not take a car seat at all. When we rented a minivan in Miami it had the integrated car seat in it. None of the busses, vans or taxi's on any excursion I have ever been on had seatbelts, so a carseat would be useless. Plus most excursions are free for infants, so they are considered a lap child and no seat is provided for them.

We do not take the car seat on airplanes either. I know this is a debated topic, but we have found that they don't attach well to the plane seat and she screams the whole time if she has to sit in it. We do have the sit-n-stroll. Although the idea of it is great, we found it to be impractical in almost every situation. It is nearly impossible to get it secured properly in any vehicle we have put it in. I thought it would be great for travel (DD has flown 29 flights as of last night), but we never take it anymore. I think we only took it twice ever.

Archived