Mystery Hotel

lgbteacher

Is this it?

FLAGSHIP

The mystery is not what it is, but what Landrys plans are with it.

Decisions are expected soon though.

See earlier threads and posts.

Lots of info available.

Pier is to remain though.

Question is on hotel and land owned accross the street.

Biker Weekend with 300000 visitors here this weekend.

Lone Star Biker Weekend

TODAY

A Chamber of Commerce Day :D

blank.gifcommodoremp.jpg?1256737986062

"Can anyone tell me what hotel is looming in the distance on the galveston cruise web cam? If you have stayed there I would like to how you felt about the stay."

They're talking about the cruise web cam. That building that you see is the building by the old train station. I can't remember the name of the building. It's not a hotel but I can see where you might think that looking at the view from the cruise web cam.

Assume this building then.

It is a office building not a hotel.

The hotels near the cruise terminal are

Tremont Hotel (a historical hotel)

and Harbor House on port.

They are within two blocks.

Both are nice hotels.

All others are close also. The island is small.

The name of the building is Moody Plaza. It has the train museum and the port offices as well as other offices.

I started to say it was the Moody Building...but thought maybe I wasn't right. I've seen it many times over the last 30 years...been in it too! I didn't know the port offices were there though, but it makes sense.

It's the Shearn Moody builidng. I used to work in it. The building also houses a lot of state agencies (one of which I used to work for). I'm curious if the building has ever reopened after Ike. I know it took on a lot of water and damage, as did the railroad museum which kind of sits right behind the building. Does anyone know?

We were in Galveston on Sat/Sun and we walked down to the Moody building. There was a sign on the door that said the railroad museum would reopen in spring 2010. There was a guard on duty inside and some worker guy knocked on the door and the guard let him in. The Strand was really hopping and lots of stores open too. La King is awesome and I tried a banana split smoothie and it was to die for. Love that place. However I was highly disappointed in Rainforest Cafe. They are so $$ and alot of the food is frozen and fried not prepared fresh. The 4 of us cost $106! My kids (12) usually order 2 things off the kids menu but this time they said they were not 10 and I offered to pay an upcharge but they said no. This was from the waitress and I told her the host told us we could do that (which he did) but nope. Next time I will go to Salsa's!

We've stayed at Harbor House. It's nice, no frills, no restaurant on site but there are several choices in reasonable walking distance. No covered parking. You do get access to Hotel Galvez pool and facilities. We now stay at Galvez just because we like the facilities and being on the seawall.

Archived