Red sea cruise and stay

We are cruising on celebration in December and then staying for a week in Sharm El Sheik ( supposedly five star hotel although reviews not looking good). Not concerned about the Cruise as we have cruised before with thomson and had no problems, my concern is Sharm and some of the reviews saying people have been ill with Delly Belly etc. I know the hygeine things to follow etc but what medicine would you advise we take from home, dont really want to be caught short!! so to speak.

Any advice on meds greatly received and also if you have experienced illness in Egypt how did you treat it, other than that we are really looking forward to our holiday!!

Many Thanks

We have visited Egypt several times and have never been ill....we are scrupulous about hygiene with constant handwashing, no salads, no ice in drinks, don't touch handrails and door knobs unless its unavoidable and then clean hands with alcohol gel or wet wipes after. I wipe remote control and telephone in room, and around bathroom with anti bacterial wipes. Only use bottled water, including for cleaning teeth. Also clean hands after handling money.

On our Nile cruise there was only one casualty on our table of 10 and she had eaten a salad....she just starved herself for 24 hours and then she was fine.

Ask your pharmacist to recommend medication to take. I would say that I always take probiotic tablets or drinks before we go on holiday.

Please try not to worry as if you are careful the chances are you will be fine!!

We have been to Egypt a number of times, and I would say that even for the most careful person, it is sometimes difficult to avoid getting ill. I would recommend buying a pack of Antinal (Egyptian medication) at any Egyptian Chemist's (even if you don't need it yet) just incase. Then take it at the very first sign of tummy problems. A pack should cost no more than £5. I have also heard that many people find taking the probiotic before going helps although I have not tried personally. Good Luck.

We are doing the red sea 3rd dec, and a week at the Sonesta beach to follow. we have been to sharm twice before, and had no problem, but the nile criuse last year put my wife in trouble for one day. the antinel which someone mentioned sorted her out. Hygeine is the thing, especially after handling money, as the notes are terrible. One thing to keep in mind, my wife missed a trip to Abu Simbal which cost £150 Each, with no chance of a refund from thomson, so I will Think Hard before doing too much advance booking in future.

Archived