Another car seat question

krijkee

We are flying from Oregon to Miami for our 13 night cruise, with just turned 3yo and 15 month old.

Should I just take one carseat for my youngest or take two?

I think I will get one of those Joey-safe contraptions for my 3yo.

We will mostly be walking around Miami (staying in South Beach for a few nights), but will need to get to the port (probably taxi?), unless there is a shuttle?

Our cruise is from Miami-NYC, which then we are spending several days in NYC, before flying home to Oregon.

What's your opinion on carseats? One or two?

I flew with them a couple of months ago to Australia and my 3yo did fine not being in a car seat on the plane (I did have it for him but he puked all over it just after take-off and it had to be stored away). So I am just thinking about ports, Miami and NYC.

Any advice would be great!

TIA!

Why not buy a joey safe for the 15mos old too? I believe the age minimum is 1yr/20lbs. Then you won't need car seats at all. The joey safes are so convenient. We haven't travelled with a car seat since purchasing it. We use it in the car, in port, on the plane. It makes travelling easier. Take my word for it, practice putting on the joey safe and adjusting the straps prior to using it on vacation. Our taxi cab driver was so mad because the first time we used it it took us awhile to get her into the car.

If you don't get the joey safes bring your car seat. It is better to be safe than sorry!

I didn't know the Joey Safe existed until I read about them on this board. Because I'm such a stickler for car seat/child safety, I asked about it on a child seat safety board I belong to (many members are car seat safety techs). I really wanted them to approve the Joey Safe - at least on some level because it looks so much more convenient; however, hands down, ALL of them said NO JOEY SAFE. Unfortunately, for us safety minded parents, there are no safe alternatives (at this point in time) other than a car seat made for your child's height and weight. :(

This one - http://www.safetrafficsystem.com/ Is SAFE and approved by crash testing.

I am a certified carseat tech!

It is for 30lbs + though, so not good for a 15month old who should be in a rear-facing convertable.

For the 3 yr old, I would get that one, the joey thing people recomend here is just plain scary.

The only problem with the vests is that you MUST have a top teather - many old cars dont have them, so it depends on what vehicals you are going to ride in.

Archived