What Digital Camera/Camcorder do you bring?

MyImagination

• 3 months later...
Thanks for the great ideas. I need to do some camera shopping this weekend. Any camera/brand you would *not* recommend?? Im talking about one in the $200-300 range that just didnt live up to expectations.

I would NOT recommend getting a Canon SD200 or SD300. I bought the SD200 for our cruise last week and half way through the week the LCD screen broke for no reason. It wasn't dropped or anything. Since I got home I started doing some looking online and realize now that this is a major problem in this camera model. I could actually still take pictures for the first day after it broke (even though I couldn't see the image on the screen.) After that the whole camera died. :mad: Fortunately others in our group had cameras so we still were able to take some pictures.

I called Canon's customer service yesterday and basically the guy admitted the LCD screen is "very fragile" and breaks easily. He said even taking the camera out into hot weather (he mentioned 95 degrees) could cause the screen to crack. To me this represents a major design flaw in the camera if it is too fragile to withstand normal usage.

My son has had a Canon SD100 for over a year and has no problems whatsoever. The only reason I didn't get the same model was because the SD200 has a better zoom (3x instead of 2x). Also the LCD screen was made larger on the SD200 and that is the reason it is so much more fragile.

I plan to mail my camera into Canon to see if it can be repaired. Unfortunately from all I've read, Canon does not consider this problem to be covered by their warranty and therefore charges around $150 for the repair. I do not plan to pay that much to repair a camera that only cost a little over $200 new. Also there is no guarantee that if it is fixed it won't break again right away (I read several posts from people who had this happen.) So if Canon will not cover the repair then I too will be looking for a new digital camera. The bad part is that I was very pleased with the camera while it was working. It takes great pictures and the small size makes it handy to carry while on vacation.

Archived