What Digital Camera/Camcorder do you bring?

MyImagination

it is my wifes actualy we just bought it a month or so ago. She loves it, it is pretty easy to use the 10x optical zoon is cool. when she ordered it she was talking about that image stabilizer i figured it was useless but as it turns out it really helps a friend of ours has a kodak with 10x zoom and it doesnt have a stabilizer and when you take a pic with it zoomed all the way it is more clear then the kodak. Another plus is like I said before it uses compact flash which is the cheapest media. She bought it online it came with a case, battery charger, nimh rechargable battaries, 128 mb card plus the 32mb that the camera came with plus a cleaning kit or something all shipped for like 410 bucks not a bad deal.

My husband loves this website when he starts looking. http://www.dpreview.com. It is a review sight for digital cameras. He has a Nikon Coolpix990 (now discontinued) and loves it. He wants to move up to an SLR Digital. He loves to take pics of the kids at the park. We print these and give to the grandparents instead of the school pictures which never seem to turn out good.

I will be taking a Canon GL-1 video camera (3 ccd) and an Olympus E-20 digital SLR. And yes, I have filters for both.

I have plenty of tapes (12) for the Canon and will have a laptop to DL pics off of a 1 gig microdrive.

Dang, that's some good stuff! Does that Canon have optical stabilization?

it is my wifes actualy we just bought it a month or so ago. She loves it, it is pretty easy to use the 10x optical zoon is cool. when she ordered it she was talking about that image stabilizer i figured it was useless but as it turns out it really helps a friend of ours has a kodak with 10x zoom and it doesnt have a stabilizer and when you take a pic with it zoomed all the way it is more clear then the kodak. Another plus is like I said before it uses compact flash which is the cheapest media. She bought it online it came with a case, battery charger, nimh rechargable battaries, 128 mb card plus the 32mb that the camera came with plus a cleaning kit or something all shipped for like 410 bucks not a bad deal.

Thanks. I have lots-o-CF cards and think a 10x optical zoom would be great, but do know a little movement will result in lots-o-blur at 10x. And Canon offers a waterproof case for this model. Yes!

Sony TRV 30 dig camcorder, Oly C-750 4mg with 10x optical zoom, Nikon 35mm system including 400 lense for wildlife and whale tours. Lots of rechargable batteries, charger, extra memory cards, and lots of film. Oh yeah, a few clothes. Not much room for cokes and beer!!!

Anybody have the Canon A95 5.0MP Digital camera? Can you tell me if you used it on your trip and how the pictures came out. I'm planning on buying one but I just want to know if its worth the money.

Thanks

That's the model we just got at Christmas. I won't be using it on a trip until September, but I'll definitely let you know ;)

Thanks. I have lots-o-CF cards and think a 10x optical zoom would be great, but do know a little movement will result in lots-o-blur at 10x. And Canon offers a waterproof case for this model. Yes!

I guess what I meant was - without the optical stabilization, the 10x zoom would not be as useful - hence one of the reasons I am considering this model.

Just purchased a canon ZR90 and was wondering is anyone has had problems with moisture when shooting in the Caribbean? My (Very Old) sony hi 8 had lots of problems with this.

I am bringing my Sony DSC V1 digital camera and the new Canon ZR90

Pryd

• 4 weeks later...
I will be taking a Canon GL-1 video camera (3 ccd) and an Olympus E-20 digital SLR. And yes, I have filters for both.

I have plenty of tapes (12) for the Canon and will have a laptop to DL pics off of a 1 gig microdrive.

My sister has the GL-1 also, she just loves it.

Has anyone had any experience with this camcorder? It gets great reviews on epinions.

I'm ready to buy a new camcorder before our Alaska cruise, and I like this one because it has filters and telephoto lenses availavle.

I'd like to buy it early, so I can play with it awhile....

My first digital camera was an Olympus D-360L which I still use. Its a 1.3 megapixel but it takes fantastic pics. It's small but not too small. I personally don't like a really tiny camera....don't ask why, I don't have a clue! I've been using this camera for about 4 years but this October I bought a Canon PowerShot S1 IS, 10x optical Zoom, 3.2 megapixel. I bought it mainly for the zoom power since we are going to Montana and Wyoming in August and I wanted to have a more powerful zoom for Yellowstone and Grand Teton Nat.Parks. (Alas, no cruise this year....what WAS I thinking?!) It's a great camera, about twice the size of my Olympus. I will take both on any vacation we go on. To me, you just can never have too much picture-taking potential!! My camcorder is a JVC GR-SXM245, 600x digital zoom....nice camcorder, easy to use! I never have had any problems with humidity or condensation in my camcorder onboard a cruise ship or in ports where it's hot and/or humid. I also have an underwater film camera....Reefmaster CL SeaLife Automatic. If you are planning on doing any water activities on a regular basis, I'd recommend investing in a reuseable underwater camera, but you can get great pics with the one-time use ones that you can purchase just about anywhere...Walmart, Kmart, etc. The Reefmasters do require some special care, but if you follow the directions carefully, you shouldn't have a problem. Its mostly just being sure the inner camera body itself remains dry at all times. You can also remove the inner camera from its outter waterproof case and use it on land, as long as you make sure it's cleaned and dried properly after each use. Regardless of what you buy or bring as far as cameras, just have a great time!

Has anyone had any experience with this camcorder? It gets great reviews on epinions.

I'm ready to buy a new camcorder before our Alaska cruise, and I like this one because it has filters and telephoto lenses availavle.

I'd like to buy it early, so I can play with it awhile....

My best advice would be to see if you can pick one up and take it home with you to 'try it out' for a number of days. See if the place you purchase from has a full return/refund/exchange policy.

I recently did this when I finally picked the Optura 40 as my model of choice, it was really btwn the Panny PV-GS200 and the Canon but I chose the Canon due to it's supposedly better 16:9 performance. (This is a huge deal for us due to the fact our main viewing system is projector system shooting onto a 98" widescreen format screen). The Canon was nice but a few things both my wife and I didn't like and these 'short comings' didn't seem to come up in any of the reviews I read. We basically tossed it up to the fact that we probably wanted more camera than what is currently offered in the "Pro-sumer" class..and I'm not ready to shell out $2500 on the newer Panny 400 and my wife doesn't like the 'larger' size of it...so we're still waiting.

Try it out on your own subjects, in your own environment, that's they only way I think you'll get a feel for what the camera can and cannot do, and if it meets your needs. I only use reviews as a basis for starting out when comparing specs, reliability and general opinions.

It really depends on several factors – price, size, usability, megapixel size, and printing.

Price – Check your budget and see what your range is. Look for deals and always check for ‘free-financing’ specials. But remember that you’ll need the ‘extra’ stuff too, additional media storage, camera case, and batteries.

Size – There are average to small in size. Do you want one that you need to store in a bag all the time or drop in your pocket or purse when you’re not using it? Always try it out! Go to several places and hold them, point them and try some pictures. Get the feel for what you want.

Usability – Is the transfer process easy? With some you just load some software and then connect the camera and ‘poof’ the images transfer to your computer.

Megapixel – The higher the megapixel the ‘better’ the image. But, anything around 3-4 megapixel is fine for most people. This just means that the image will be clearer if printing large sizes.

Printing – You can print with most ‘regular’ printers using a good photo paper. If you want great quality photos printed at home you may want to spend some money on a different printer ($150 - $300). Remember, this will use more ink and paper at a higher cost. A better option is to use a service like Wal-Mart where you can take your pictures and have them developed through their photo lab. (You need to take the images on your camera media or transfer them to a CD to do this.)

http://www.dpreview.com/

http://www.dcresource.com/

http://www.zdnet.com/special/filters/sc/camera/

http://www.megapixel.net/html/issueindex.php?lang=en

http://www.digital-camera-reviews.info/html/digital-camera-reviews-brands.html

_

I've used this on several cruises and in addition to good photo quality (4 million pixels, many built-in filters, optical zoom etc.) the camera fits in an Altoids tin! Camera, charging unit, extra battery, and manual all fit in a very small soft sided make-up case!

I take my laptop along so I can download pictures to a hard drive (via built-in card reader), just in case Mr. Murphey and his law pay a visit.

If you want something small and that gives good results I recommend this camera. Only down side is be sure to hold it steady when shooting, the camera is very light and you can get some out of focus pictures.

Just bought the Olympus C60- it was on sale probably b/c it's about to be replaced. It seems easy to use so far and quality looks good so far-haven't printed any yet!! I was so overwhelmed with all the different cameras but was told 4 megapixels was plenty but this camera was about the same price as 4 so I bought it. I have a Sony handycam-about 3 years old but probably won't take it- didn't take it last cruise and didn't really see any reason to have it. camera will take 1 1/2 minuted video clips. Good luck!!

I agree...I have the Canon S1 and it is the world's best kept secret. Great video capabilities..can take 8-9 minute high res (VGA/30fps Fine0 video and as many of those as your microdrive compact flash can handle. I use a 4 gb drive. Also the stills are great even with the 10x optical zoom

Archived