Spur of the Moment Stingray Sandbar Tour

lauderdalebob

Am leaving on the Jewel of the Seas this Sunday, stopping in Grand Cayman on Thursday next week. I don't want to book anything with an Independent at this point, would rather just get off the ship and take my chances of getting an available tour. The names that I've read here (Capt. Marvin's, Soto, Nativeway, Capt. Bryan, Moby Dick) seem to be the most well known.

I know the ship does a tour too which must be booked on the ship at this point, but can I just get off the ship the morning we dock, and approach one of the people picking up other groups and ask, or should I just walk a few blocks to one of their various offices and see if they have an availability?

The person I'm travelling with is not sure he wants to do this so that's why I'd just rather wait and play it by ear. Do you think we'll have any problem booking a tour stepping right off the ship?

I don't think most of the ones you mentioned troll the dock area looking for passengers. You would have to go to them. I would email them and find out which ones still have availability, where they meet and times. If they have room, I don't know why not, but no use trying ones that are sold out.

Yes, there are plenty of tour operators on the pier looking for people for Stingray City snorkeling. We were there 2 weeks ago, I did not take note of who they were, but I can tell you there was plenty! We had booked with Captain Bryan's over the internet, but due to the tendering process not all of our party made it on the pier in time, so we in desparation took one of the dockside group tours that people were selling. It turned out good, we had plenty of 'quality' time with the rays, see my post on Jan 3rd entitled "A different perspesective for booking Stingray City tours" for a longer description. I can honelstly say that even though the boat we ended up on was not as nice as Captain Bryan's catamaran, the time snorkeling was probably as enjoyable as it would have been with anyone! And, a plus to just walking onto the pier and choosing from there is the 'no stress' involved to make a deadline.

The prices were the same - $35.00 on the pier, the Captain Byran's we booked was 34.00 - but we lost the 20% deposit fee of course as it was our fault. C'est la vie I guess,but next time I think I would rather just go out onto the pier and book from there once everyone is ashore - way less stress involved.

Something to watch for on any tour you do yourself in the Caymans is to make sure that your ship is 'in the same time zone' as the Caymans - they are on Eastern time, our ship (RCI out of New Orleans) stayed on Central time, therefore the Caymans was an an hour ahead of us.

Archived