Whatever happened to 1st Homeric

Please note that she was NOT the first Homeric, as the original one was vintage 1920s...

She was the first Home Lines HOMERIC though - so she is generally referred to as HOMERIC (I), within the context of Home Lines.

Your "first" HOMERIC was White Star's HOMERIC of 1922 - I don't doubt that there have been plenty of ships called HOMERIC before then though.

• 1 month later...

On my file cabinet is a 9 by 12 B/W photo of an old friend-shipmate of my father (retired as Dir. of Passenger Svc., Matson Lines, 1961) who was a Purser on the Mariposa when the picture was taken circa 1936-37. He was Sid Rose and he is in a white suit squatting down to be close to a smiling and cute little girl about 7 with a lei around her neck and holding a large doll. The picture was taken while under way outside by a rear corner deck of the ship as the wake is in the background.

The girl was Shirley Temple.

She use to visit the islands with her mother and would stay with one of the Dusenberg brothers (of auto engines and cars) at his estate at the foot of Diamond Head with a private beach. I remember the place as my folks use to visit with the Dusenbergs when we lived there 1937-39.

Sid was originally from London and had a nite club south of San Fran. during the war and retired in the area and died circa 1975.

The picture frame is silver plate and engaved at the top is the inscription

"From Captain Meyers and Boys, S.S. Mariposa".

Archived