Are there any good restaurants in NY ?

GrimWheel

Well, obviously there are. Can anyone recommend for us 1. An upscale "traditional" possibly French, with traditional interior (no modernism please), AND 2. A good restaurant with a VIEW - i.e. possibly a rooftop/skyscraper restaurant - food style less important - stunning view more so - but must still be classy.

Not looking to spend more than around £150 for two including wine (I guess around $200).

We will be there three nights after the 11th Nov TA.

Thanks all you foodies !

Well, obviously there are. Can anyone recommend for us 1. An upscale "traditional" possibly French, with traditional interior (no modernism please), AND 2. A good restaurant with a VIEW - i.e. possibly a rooftop/skyscraper restaurant - food style less important - stunning view more so - but must still be classy.

Not looking to spend more than around £150 for two including wine (I guess around $200).

Thanks all you foodies !

Les Halles is a traditional bistro and the food is excellent,

Les Halles

411 Park Ave. S.

(bet. 28th & 29th Sts.)

Manhattan, NY | Map

212-679-4111

Very good food, excellent Boudin Noir.

For a view go to

View, The

1535 Broadway, 47th fl.

(bet. 45th & 46th Sts.)

Manhattan, NY | Map

212-704-8900

which is in the Marriott Marquis hotel.

Benoit - Chef Alain Ducasse, classic French bistro cuisine

http://www.benoitny.com

60 West 55th Street

New York NY 10019

+1-646-943-7373

River Cafe - under the Brooklyn Bridge on the Brooklyn side

http://rivercafe.com/

1 Water Street

Brooklyn NY 11201

+1-718-522-5200

Water Club (on the East River)

http://thewaterclub.com/

East River at 30th Street

New York NY 10016

+1-212-683-3333

Battery Gardens - views of Governors Island and the Statue of Liberty

http://batterygardens.com/

Battery Park (opposite 17 State Street, near Staten Island ferry)

New York, NY

+1-212-80905508

Lunch at Jean Georges in the main dining room I would argue is one of the best values in NYC if not the entire planet (even if you think Michelin lowered the bar for New York, three Michelin Stars mean something). Plus you are right at central park to have a leisurely post lunch stroll, maybe over to the Met.

For the room, try Daniel or Bouley - I think Daniel has much better food but both rooms are very impressive (both are out of budget but if you feel like splurging).

For eating in a high energy fun place I would pick Minetta Tavern. This place can be crowded and a bit of a scene so it can be off putting for some but for sure it has integrity.

You might want to try Eleven Madison - nice Art deco room - very good food. Again a bit out of budget but lunch values abound.

In fact, if there is any place you really would like to try but is out of budget, check the website to see what the Lunch menus are - almost always you will be shocked to see how reasonably you can eat at the finest NY restaurants during lunch.

Hi

The Four Seasons Restaurant is an NYC institution yes with a price tag to match but combine superb food & service with the wonderful Pool Room - it's just sublime! I had lunch there on my way to JFK back in May after having spent 3 nights in my favourite city & this was after 6 nights in Queens Grill no QM2 - this Restaurant was just as good as the Grill & I will be returning there for either lunch or dinner druing my next QM2 crossing & cruise in November this year! I cannot wait!

The View is a good restaurant for the view but the food is IMHO just passable & overpriced!!!!

River Cafe is another restaurant I am going back to in a few weeks & the view is to die for + the fact you are on a 'barge' so you hear the 'waves' underneath you as you dine! A great dining experience!

very contemporary style of decor but a wonderful experience!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

You might want to try Eleven Madison - nice Art deco room - very good food. Again a bit out of budget but lunch values abound.

Celebrated my husband's birthday there last week and the five course tasting menu with wine pairings was superb. The space is gorgeous, the service impeccable and the Autumn Tastes menu was one of the top 5 best meals of my life!

(Eleven Madison Park is the full name for those searching for it - at 11 Madison Avenue and 24th Street - New York Times 4 stars; Michelin 1 star - just received). Oh, and you will want to bring a bigger budget if you go!

Celebrated my husband's birthday there last week and the five course tasting menu with wine pairings was superb. The space is gorgeous, the service impeccable and the Autumn Tastes menu was one of the top 5 best meals of my life!

(Eleven Madison Park is the full name for those searching for it - at 11 Madison Avenue and 24th Street - New York Times 4 stars; Michelin 1 star - just received). Oh, and you will want to bring a bigger budget if you go!

Hi Michael.

Please wish Ben a belated Happy Birthday.

Jeanne

Hi Michael.

Please wish Ben a belated Happy Birthday.

Jeanne

Will do, Jeanne! Just a few more days and we're in November! Then we can say "just a month away"!

Another good French on the Upper West Side, Ouest. That would be in the budget, if you did not go crazy on the wine.

Les Halles is a traditional bistro and the food is excellent,

Les Halles

411 Park Ave. S.

(bet. 28th & 29th Sts.)

Manhattan, NY | Map

212-679-4111

Very good food, excellent Boudin Noir.

For a view go to

View, The

1535 Broadway, 47th fl.

(bet. 45th & 46th Sts.)

Manhattan, NY | Map

212-704-8900

which is in the Marriott Marquis hotel.

We stayed in the Mattiott booked with Cunard in September 2009, would recommend The View for drinks, did not have food there, we were told it was expensive and not very good.

It takes the view to rotate for one hour to do a full circle. It was very busy but worth the wait.

Catherine

Thanks all you foodies !

Formal - Daniel. Should be ok on the budget. I think it's one of the best in the city.

Enjoy

Archived