Booking privately

krijkee

i wouldn't book long trips such as this or lamanai on my own. while i almost always arrange my tours independently, i wouldn't risk taking trips such as these that involve long drives and then river runs. if they encounter any kind of trouble along the way and you arrive back to the ship late, they will leave without you. under these conditions, you would be wise to join the ship's tour. we were late coming back from lamanai on the ship's tour and were were all put at ease by an announcement that the ship was aware of our late return and they were holding the ship for us. i have taken both the altun ha and lamanai tours through the ship and both were well done.

steve

Just to clarify, Altun Ha does not necessarily involve a river trip- the cruiselines often include this to add interest to the journey, but it can be reached by road. It's only a half-day tour if you do it this way, and I'd have no qualms about doing it this way independently. I did a tour to Altun Ha and the Belize Zoo with Shoretrips.com on my first cruise, and it was very easy, with plenty of time to spare.

My cruise line right now doesn't offer the river part of the excursion, just the driving. I have a little one that would love the river cruise part, so really want to do it this way.

I haven't found an independent operator who does this, but try Nachp and Cynthia http://www.ncqadventuretours.com/guides.html

They say they can do custom tours, and if they can't arrange the boat trip they do offer Altun Ha combined with the Zoo or the Baboon Sanctuary, which would be lots of fun for a little one.

Archived