Help me decide

ALSPAUGHDOLL

We are thinking of taking a cruise with our 2 boys ages 2 and 4 instead of going to Disney world. I need some advise. This would be my 7th cruise but my boys have only done 1 cruise when they were 2 and 6 months old on the disney cruise line. We are to cheap to do that again although we loved it.

So here are my questions....

We are torn between RCCL or Carnival. Which one is best for kids. My biggest concern is that my youngest DS is not potty trained yet. He is training but by no means trained. I think he will be by Feb. when we plan on going. But to do his own pants and stuff I think he will not be able to do that on RCCL. I have read that Carnival will change diapers and help more.

We really don't care about the ports since we don't plan on doing much since we have the kids. Do you have a cruise ship that you recommend that was best for the kids.

RCI won't take kids under 3 in the kid's program, and unless potty-trained, he won't be allowed in the pools on most ships, either.

RCI does have in cabin baby-sitting, if you were interested in an adult's night out.

Don't know about the age limit on Carnival....but I think they have the same pool restriction.

Given your description of your family (admittedly very brief), you might be happier with a land vacation at Disneyworld. I think the kids would have more to do, you could deal with the diaper/potty issues without concerns, and there might be many more full family-oriented activities for you.

I was just reading another board here where a parent was complaining that cruise ship public bathrooms didn't have diaper changing stations, for example, and they had to return to their cabins for that. Sounds pretty darned inconvenient!

Given your description of your family (admittedly very brief), you might be happier with a land vacation at Disneyworld. I think the kids would have more to do, you could deal with the diaper/potty issues without concerns, and there might be many more full family-oriented activities for you.

I was just reading another board here where a parent was complaining that cruise ship public bathrooms didn't have diaper changing stations, for example, and they had to return to their cabins for that. Sounds pretty darned inconvenient!

I will agree I think I am leaning back to Disney World. But we are a very laid back family. I can change a diaper just about anywhere and I have. I just wonder if we are better off at Disney World for a few more years. I am an experienced cruiser and have no question we will enjoy our selves I just wonder what the best option is. We really don't want to leave the kids in kids program for long and I am sure they would not want to leave us so thats not really a deal breaker I just like options. Thanks though for the honesty.

I would much rather go back to a stateroom to change a diaper than to find a restroom at Disney World. :eek:

I would recommend Carnival. They will take the 2 year old into Camp Carnival and will change diapers.

We did sail RCCL when ds was 2. Although we used the babysitting, it really wasn't much fun for him. RCCL is my favorite line, but with a 2 year old, I recommend Carnival.

My youngest started cruising CCL in his late 2's - not completely potty trained. He is now 5 1/2 and has 4 cruises under his belt. He loves it. Camp Carnival was wonderful. Carnival may not have the rock climbing walls and ice ring, but there is more than enough stuff to do, especially for small kids.

I would say give CCL a shot and see what you think.

I would take a Carnival cruise. Generally, I prefer RCCL, however, I like Camp Carnival for a two year old. Our two year old has been on Carnival 7 times and we have been very happy with Camp Carnival. Although Disney has more of the "WOW" factor, a cruise has plenty of wow for the little ones.

I am so confused. I keep going back and forth. Its a good thing I don't need to decide now. I am lucky to have options but cruising is so affordable we could take 2 for the cost of disney. Our kids travel well and laid back happy guys. We will have a blast no matter what I decide. So my next question since ports are not the most important thing to us what carnival ship would you choose? We were on the LIberty earlier this year with out the boys and although we looked I am not familiar with Camp Carnival. I like that both our boys would be together.

Just having come back from 2 days at Disney and a short carnival cruise with a 2 and 4yr old. I would pick carnival for sure. A cruise is so much more relaxing than a day at a theme park. It's more economical in that all your meals are included. You also get to have some adult time thanks to camp carnival. Every evening my 2yr old would constantly ask when she can go to camp carnival. We love cruising!

We have two boys, ages 4 and 2, and will be leaving this Thursday on Carnival for a 4-day cruise. Having gone to Walt Disney World this past January (the boys were 3 1/2 and 18 months), we are definitely saving money by taking a cruise. Carnival accepts ages 2 and above, and will change diapers so long as you provide them (and wipes). They group them from ages 2-5, which makes me feel better knowing my boys will be together the entire time. I've heard great reviews re: Camp Carnival. We are heading to Cozumel and taking the boys on a dolphin encounter (booked privately through a recommended tour co. found on this forum), we are paying $115 for all 4 of us to get in the water and interact with the dolphins - the boys are so excited! I wouldn't discount excursions based on your children's age, there are a lot of fun things to choose from. :)

I wouldn't take my boys now on a disney cruise (they did LOVE WDW!) due to my 2-yr old not being able to go to their kid's club...plus my understanding is the pricing is a lot more than Carnival for the room type we'd want (we want/need a balcony so we have a place to hang out when the boys are down at night).

Good luck with your decision! You really can't go wrong with either choice...if we had not booked this cruise, my guess is we'd be heading back to WDW within the year...now, we'll probably wait a couple years to go back. :)

Archived