Wrist bands for motion sickness

jburke1566

concept is to wear two, but me and my wife split a pair and wearing one seemed to help us, We just might not be that prone to seasickness? I've got probably small wrists for a guy and we bought adult size and it's just right, not too tight or too loose.

I got sea sick on my first 2 cruises. On the 2nd one, i tried the wristbands that the ship sells and it did not help! So for our last 2 cruises, I called my doctor and asked her to cll me in some scopalamine patches, tiny patches you put behind your ear. You only use one every 3 days, but I ended up leaving the one on the whole time. Never felt sick or had any side effects. Of course, you want to make sure with your dr if you can take it with other medications you may be taking. Hope this helps. You can also try ginger lollypops that they sell at babies r us. I heard these help as well.

I wear the wristbands all of the time. They stretch to fit your wrist so you shouldn't have a problem. I have very thin wrists, also. Wish all of me was that thin. LOL. I get very motion sick, even in a car, but I love to cruise. I use the wrist bands and started to take ginger pills. You can get them at any pharmacy or store. They help to settle your stomach. I also recently got motioneaze. It is natural oils that you put a drop behind your ears. I got this info from these boards. Someone here said you could get them at walmart or such stores. I couldn't find them at our local walmart, but ordered online. I used over the summer on our driving trip that was 10 hours to visit family. It worked great. I never got sick at all. I usually am very nauseous after driving that long.

I would highly recommend wrist bands. You wear two at a time. Along with ginger and if you can find the Motioneaze. All work well. I do not like the pills like Dramamine because medications don't always agree with me and they make you tired and you shouldn't drink alcohol when taking. And I am not a huge drinker either.

In the past, I have tried the patches, but I had really bad side effects. But that could just be me because of my sensitivities to meds.

Good luck whatever you decide to use. And enjoy your cruise.:)

Went to WalMart today....found the wristbands...tried them on and you are right...they fit! Found the ginger capsules. Found the drops. Also found Bonine. I think I will take ALL of it on the cruise but use the Bonine only if it's so bad I can't stand it. I didn't buy any of it yet because I still have awhile....I really would like to find some "pretty" wristbands.....is that horrible and superficial? I would do anything however to NOT be sick so if I have to wear black wristbands I will!!! At least my formals both have black!!! LOL

Went to WalMart today....found the wristbands...tried them on and you are right...they fit! Found the ginger capsules. Found the drops. Also found Bonine. I think I will take ALL of it on the cruise but use the Bonine only if it's so bad I can't stand it. I didn't buy any of it yet because I still have awhile....I really would like to find some "pretty" wristbands.....is that horrible and superficial? I would do anything however to NOT be sick so if I have to wear black wristbands I will!!! At least my formals both have black!!! LOL

Not superficial at all! I just got these off of Amazon.

41bKHsoDZ5L._AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Psi-Bands-Drug-Free-Relief-Blossom/dp/B000X9V2H8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1257094154&sr=8-1

You really should take the Bonine as a preventive because once you start getting sick, you will be sick for awhile since it has to do with your equillibrium. That is why I take the Bonine religiously every day and even start it the day before I cruise. The bonine will not help much after you are already sick.

Vicki

Don't worry about looking silly with the wristbands, you'll see a lot of people with them on. I hated wearing them, I hated the tan they gave me, and I hated how they looked with all of my outfits. I was feeling great, so I took them off and.......got extremely sick. Now I'll never care again!

Just wear them, and take them off for the few minutes you are getting your picture taken and all of that. Also I suggest the ginger pills with them-start taking them the day before you leave. Have a great trip!

Are they waterproof? Can you like wear them when swimming and showering? And do you wear them when sleeping?

yes, yes, and yes. They are just like elastic wristbands with a piece that is worn directly over a pressure point. They remind me of something you might have seen worn in the 80's as fashion-or like one of those sweatbands some people might have worn when they were working out (in the 80's)

Save your money on the Bonine. You can get Meclazine from the pursers desk for free which is the same thing. That's one of my first stops when boarding. I have them punch my card so I can put it on a lanyard and get Meclazine to prevent seasickness.

I also wear sea bands and purchased them onboard. The ones I have are adjustable size - have velco so you can adjust for pretty much any wrist size.

I want "pretty" wristbands! I like the red ones that Krissta posted. Anyone else know where I can get pretty ones?

Krissta....when is your cruise? I wonder if these work as well as the elastic ones.

My cruise is in February. I got them on Amazon, but supposedly they sell them all over the place! They're called Psi Bands. Here's their Web site: http://www.psibands.com/. They are so cute, but I don't know if they'll be as good as the ugly ones. :D

I hate to pull a "Debby Downer" here, but those bracelets work only if you think they'll work. You can take the word of the people selling them at a profit, or you can educate yourself about remedies that actually are effective (Bonine, Meclazine, etc). Start here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=15018290

First published in Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine

I hate to pull a "Debby Downer" here, but those bracelets work only if you think they'll work. You can take the word of the people selling them at a profit, or you can educate yourself about remedies that actually are effective (Bonine, Meclazine, etc). Start here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=15018290

I disagree. I didn't think they would work. I felt fine, and I took mine off. Then I got sick. In my opinion, they work. Drugs are not the only things that are effective in helping to prevent motion sickness, natural remedies can work as well.

I disagree. I didn't think they would work. I felt fine, and I took mine off. Then I got sick. In my opinion, they work. Drugs are not the only things that are effective in helping to prevent motion sickness, natural remedies can work as well.

I didn't say "Drugs are the only things that are effective in helping to prevent motion sickness". What I said (essentially) is the bands are crap unless you believe they work, and then I cited a research paper, published in a peer reviewed journal and authored by reputable Psychologists from Clemson showing why I believe it to be true. I don't doubt for one minute that you became ill after removing the bands, and now swear by them. I then went on to list some things that are proven to work in preventing motion sickness.

You really should take the Bonine as a preventive because once you start getting sick, you will be sick for awhile since it has to do with your equillibrium. That is why I take the Bonine religiously every day and even start it the day before I cruise. The bonine will not help much after you are already sick.

Vicki

I agree with that Vicki...I take Bonine only at night before bed (actually helps me sleep) and then wear the wristbands the whole cruise. It took me a few cruises to figure out that this was the best combination, but I wake up not feeling drowsy and I don't have any side effects when enjoying the DOD!! :D

For over 20 years I took Dramine or Bonnie and still got sea sick!

Last year for the first time I tried the Sea Bands because we were going from port to port over night and it did not make sense to take a pill that would last from 12-24 hours. To my great surprise the Sea Bands worked!

Now I will not use anything else. I even converted my cousin to them earlier this year. She couldn't wait to get them out of the box and put them on fast enough.

You even forget you are wearing them as I have done in many of the ports. If you do not like the look of them, you can be creative and camofloge them by wearing a scrungie over them. Lots of ways to cover them up. On formal nights, I have a "spikey" silver beaded scrungie that I put over one band. On the other wrist, I wear a large silver and rhinestone bracelet. You really have to look close to see the Sea Bands.

At approx. $10 it is a great investment. It is a whole different cruise when you aren't feeling sea sick or groggy or have a dry mouth. If you drink, it is not advisable to drink and take either Bonnie or Dramine. Another reason to switch. The Carnival Truimph sold them in one of their gift shops along with other toiletries. Sea Bands come in different colors and widths. There is one for everyone's taste.

MARAPRINCE

Anyone ever used the ginger candies by the ginger people, or motioneaze, which is the liquid that goes behind your ear? My 4yo can't take any kind of pill, and is picky about taste (the candies). Anyone ever use either of these, and not have success? Thanks!

Renee

• 8 months later...

The study Snorkel2Much mentioned is not for SeaBand type products. The study was for ReliefBands (which uses electricity) and Acubands (which uses magnets). I agree they do not work and cost $100 of dollars.

Seabands and Psi Bands cost under $20 and do work. Here are several clinical trials.

1. Rose Ferrara-Love, MSN, RN, CPAN, CAPA, Nonpharmacologic Treatment of Postoperative Nausea, 1996 American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses.

2. Stannard, DM (1989) Pressure Prevents Nausea, Nursing Times p33-34

3. Effect of Stimulation of the P6 Anti-emetic Point on Postoperative Nausea and Vomiting. British Journal of Anesthesia, 1980

I hate to pull a "Debby Downer" here, but those bracelets work only if you think they'll work. you can take the word of the people selling them at a profit, or you can educate yourself about remedies that actually are effective (Bonine, Meclazine, etc). Start here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=15018290

There are plenty of peer review studies showing that a remedy will "work only if you think they'll work". The placebo effect is well documented. Have you ever tried SeaBands or Psi Bands?

I side with you as I would never buy them. In saying that, I do have friends that swear by them. Also some that have sworn at them.

I prefer chemical assistance as I do not doubt some homeopathic remedies, I prefer to trust science. I do scopolamine gel that a compounding pharmacy provides me. I like that over the patch as I can reduce the amount used over time, in lieu of the constant dose of the patch. That again is my preference and do not belittle those that think that ginger, bands, whatever.

There is so much garbage out on the net that supports about anything and you really don't know much about the "author" or if the research was scientifically valid or just written by someone like me to support and promote particular products. Unfortuantely some people take everything they read on the internet as gospel where I believe some of it should be ignored as it has replaced the old fashioned beauty shop gossip.

In reality, the only time I've gotten green around the gils have been due to a bottle form of seasickness, not true seasickness anyway :rolleyes:.

Archived