Romance Package Price Change!

xu_chen

I agree the new package is seriously overpriced. Isn't buying a package supposed to be cheaper than a la carte? Add it up:

$30.00 for Le Bistro dinner

22.00 for the house wine at Le Bistro

10.80 for Choc strawberries

32.00 for the cheapest sparkling wine they sell prior to sailing (but you actually get a bottle that is cheaper onboard than this $24 IIRC?)

10.00 approximate cost for photograph

10.00 approximate value of the canapes (5 on one plate - similar can be ordered thru room service for free)

This addition makes the Champagne and Cake Party a $20.00 value (in my opinion it is definitely NOT worth that). The package used to be a good value even if you didn't get the photo or go to the party, which a lot of us did not. Now it actually costs more to order it as a package than a la carte.

As far as the Captain's choice - take away $22 for the house wine, and it leaves you with a $16 fruit plate, which can be ordered thru room service or picked up at the buffet for free.

Oh well, perhaps NCL is trying to phase out the work involved in such packages. No problem for me, we will just order it all a la carte and skip the photo and the party (only went once, never went back). The plus is I won't have to drink the cheaper sparkling wine - I can spend a bit more for something good! Certainly not going to ruin my cruise, but I agree these are very steep price jumps, even for NCL. Shame on them!

Robin

The package used to be a bargain. Now it's just plain overpriced. Doesn't make sense to buy it. We've bought it a couple times in the past, but won't even consider it at this price. I think a more reasonable price point would have been $95 or $99. But what I think doesn't matter, lol.

Decided to buy a Romance Package for our honeymoon cruise next month. Read so much about the Romance Package on this message board and also looked it up on NCL's web site last Friday! The $79 package looked wonderful and to be of great value too.

Well, called today to book it, and was told the price was changed YESTERDAY to $135. NCL almost doubled it!

I booked the cruise a month ago, both the agent and NCL are aware that it was our honeymoon, besides I wanted to place the order last Friday but just didn't get around to it. Explained all of this to NCL and all they would say is "sorry there is nothing we can do."

So we decided not to get it since we'd feel bad about it knowing we got ripped off just by calling a day too late. Very unfortunate that NCL could not be more accomodating with a SUDDEN and DRASTIC price change.

Congratulations for saying no, this is a 70% price increase which I agree is a rip off. How about getting back to your travel agent and if they are any good at all will contact NCL. I would also ring NCL Customer Relations and only speak to a supervisor, any experiences I have had with NCL have been very positive. Good luck for the future and happy cruising!

I just called the agent and prepaid our service charges for our 12/08/09 Jade cruise...who knows if THEY will go up as well?

Not sure but am hoping that if they do go up-- pre-pays will not be charged the extra?

I know I'm not a math whiz- but if quite a few less buy the Romance Package-- does the increase really do them any good?

Hey- whatever- we're going to enjoy and didn't like the idea of LeBistro versus Cagneys anyway (just our preference- not too into French food) - so one less decision on what to order before leaving.

I just called the agent and prepaid our service charges for our 12/08/09 Jade cruise...who knows if THEY will go up as well?

Not sure but am hoping that if they do go up-- pre-pays will not be charged the extra?

I know I'm not a math whiz- but if quite a few less buy the Romance Package-- does the increase really do them any good?

Hey- whatever- we're going to enjoy and didn't like the idea of LeBistro versus Cagneys anyway (just our preference- not too into French food) - so one less decision on what to order before leaving.

If they raise the service charge on me last minute, I will just not pay it, fill out a comment card, then give cash to my attendant and waiting staff.

It's not so much the drastic price increase that hurts, it's the "we don't care about the customer experience just our bottom line" attitude. I know this is all a business transaction and all, but I'm on vacation dammit and I don't want to think about business! Make your customers feel like they are getting a winning deal!

Seems to me that one can do all this "ala carte" a heck of a lot cheaper. Hey, here's an idea! Get ressies for Le Bistro = 30, 4 glasses of wine = about 32 @ $8 per glass, then do all this on the night they offer the "chocolate buffet" and head on over there and pick up some chocolate covered strawberries along with lots of other goodies and take it all back to your room. Sum total of $62. :D

If I know you are going on a honeymoon cruise and wanted to buy you a gift to be delivered onboard $135 wouldn't be unreasonable. I know that a lot of us buy the bon voyage gifts for ourselves but aren't they there for the poor saps who are staying behind to buy for us to make our cruise more enjoyable?:)

All kidding aside, $79 was probably not making them any money to begin with. Personally I've not seen anything on the gift list that I would even think about buying as I'd rather pick and choose once I get onboard.

I guess there will be a few less diners at Le Bistro as well - if they want to encourage people to use the speciality restaurants then this seems a bit shortsighted.

They could be trying to push people to the higher grade packages as they include some spa treatments as well. These seem to be a bit better value perhaps?

In June 2008 we bought half dozen of these because we thought the price was going to go up anytime soon.

Having use a couple and as I said before the chanmpgne us crap and their new house wine (white) I found totally undrinkable. We dont need the fruit basket, canapes etc as there is enough food on the ship at any given time. It's also much fresher than the dried out canapes that they send to the room.

We will be using our last two on our up coming 21 days cruise in Jan.

Oh and we never used the photo deal.

Anybody know what they do with the rest of the Cake at the Anniversary party? We were on the Dawn last year with about 10 0r 12 couples at this party. I think everyone had a piece of cake but, the thing was so big it didn't look like they even cut it. ( O.K.....maybe it looked like a small corner was missing) and they do cut you off after about 3 or 4 small glasses of Champagne. Still in all, and we have ordered the package for our upcoming cruise this Nov. at $79) it is well worth the price...at THAT price. Probably won't be many there at $135.

Decided to buy a Romance Package for our honeymoon cruise next month. Read so much about the Romance Package on this message board and also looked it up on NCL's web site last Friday! The $79 package looked wonderful and to be of great value too.

Well, called today to book it, and was told the price was changed YESTERDAY to $135. NCL almost doubled it!

I booked the cruise a month ago, both the agent and NCL are aware that it was our honeymoon, besides I wanted to place the order last Friday but just didn't get around to it. Explained all of this to NCL and all they would say is "sorry there is nothing we can do."

So we decided not to get it since we'd feel bad about it knowing we got ripped off just by calling a day too late. Very unfortunate that NCL could not be more accomodating with a SUDDEN and DRASTIC price change.

Sorry but you did not get "ripped off". You delayed booking this and got caught in a price change. It would have been nice if NCL had accomodated you but they are certainly not under an obligation (moral or otherwise) to do so. We all mistime things occasionally. It's too bad you did in this case but it's not NCL's "fault".

I know what you are going through...............We are booked for our honeymoon as well. Our story is worse...........We called last week and was told by a NCL person that we need to call back to get the package starting 2 weeks before your cruise.......When we called back today they tell us the price has doubled. When we explained the situation the person on the phone told us we need proof that you called.......No customer service......Other than this we love NCL......Just such an important time and to have them raise the price after we tried to book it...LOW.

Now in this case I sympathize - since you were told you had to call back later (and then the price changed). NOT nice NCL - telling people to call back later and raising the price in the interim.

Sorry but you did not get "ripped off". You delayed booking this and got caught in a price change. It would have been nice if NCL had accomodated you but they are certainly not under an obligation (moral or otherwise) to do so. We all mistime things occasionally. It's too bad you did in this case but it's not NCL's "fault".

We are perfectly happy with going on without the Romance Package. However, I have one point to make here.

The pricing/availability of add-on packages are a factor in booking a cruise. This was not true in my case as I didn't find out about the $79 package until after I booked NCL, but I could see a couple who's looking to get a cruise with a romance package, and choosing NCL over a competitor due to the add-on pricing.

It would, therefore, be unfair for NCL to drastically change the price of such items after the booking has been made.

How is this any different than if NCL decided to double the charges of specialty restaurants once you got on the ship? If all along you are under the impression that you can pay $25 for Cagney's and NCL suddenly decides to charge $45, knowing that could have influenced your decision of whether to sail with NCL or a competitor.

We are perfectly happy with going on without the Romance Package. However, I have one point to make here.

The pricing/availability of add-on packages are a factor in booking a cruise. This was not true in my case as I didn't find out about the $79 package until after I booked NCL, but I could see a couple who's looking to get a cruise with a romance package, and choosing NCL over a competitor due to the add-on pricing.

It would, therefore, be unfair for NCL to drastically change the price of such items after the booking has been made.

How is this any different than if NCL decided to double the charges of specialty restaurants once you got on the ship? If all along you are under the impression that you can pay $25 for Cagney's and NCL suddenly decides to charge $45, knowing that could have influenced your decision of whether to sail with NCL or a competitor.

My interpretation of what you are saying is that if I booked a cruise for 2011 - two years from now - NCL should NOT change the price of any "extras" between now and then - sorry but I just don't agree.

IF I booked a cruise on the basis of some extra's price (like the Romance package), you can bet that I would book it immediately to "keep" the price I was counting on (assuming I could book it immediately) but then I would not choose a cruise on such a basis. However everyone is different and if that is one's criteria I guess the trick is to find a cruiseline that never changes prices of extras before your sail date (are there one's like that? - I don't know).

BTW if NCL doubled the prices of their specialty restaurants (which they are perfectly entitled to do), I just wouldn't eat in them. I don't make cruising decisions on that basis.

I called my travel agent today to tell her the story, and she was surprised to hear about it. She says cruise lines typically notify them well ahead of price increases on these things. She was also shocked at the 70% increase.

She told me she is sending a note out to every agent in her agency so they can notify any couples planning a honeymoon/romance trip on NCL. She says she is trying to find out whether prices of on-board extras have increased as well and will notify me of any changes she finds out about.

She then called NCL on my behalf to try to get the package for me at $79. She says when she inquired about the Romance Package, the NCL rep immediately said "the $79 one?" The rep then realized that the price has changed when she tried to put the order in, and actually tried to put in a price change for me. But somehow she was unable to do so! The rep told my TA that for some strange reason, she is unable to change the price of this package on the computer.

Seems like NCL really has their customer service agents' hands tied on this one. I don't blame any of the CS reps or my TA as every single one of them has been very helpful and understanding. But the NCL corporation seem to be really taking a tough stance on these things, which makes you wonder...:confused:

My interpretation of what you are saying is that if I booked a cruise for 2011 - two years from now - NCL should NOT change the price of any "extras" between now and then - sorry but I just don't agree.

IF I booked a cruise on the basis of some extra's price (like the Romance package), you can bet that I would book it immediately to "keep" the price I was counting on (assuming I could book it immediately) but then I would not choose a cruise on such a basis. However everyone is different and if that is one's criteria I guess the trick is to find a cruiseline that never changes prices of extras before your sail date (are there one's like that? - I don't know).

BTW if NCL doubled the prices of their specialty restaurants (which they are perfectly entitled to do), I just wouldn't eat in them. I don't make cruising decisions on that basis.

I have an NCL brochure here that says "sepcialty restaurants onboard" and specifically mentions "$10-$25". This is the brochure I looked at when I booked. Now if I get on the ship and Cagney's is $45, I'd say that's unacceptable.

Also a little warning would be nice. "Book now as prices will increase drastically next week!" Instead, I got that "HAHA! You are stupid for not calling a day earlier! Next time hand us your money as fast as you can!" feeling.

I'm with you Z, and I say that even though I had just discussed the price ($79) with my PCC last Thursday, but didn't go to book it until yesterday. At $135 I figure I'll just buy what we need ala carte (and hope the prices individually haven't jumped as well)

Well I am done booking the package, I always booked it on every trip, but BUT $70 increase is JUST TOO MUCH. Are they crazy, I never liked the canapes anyway. and would rather Cagney's so I am done.

mew1

I too had called NCL last week regarding purchasing the anniversary/birthday $79 package for an upcoming cruise. I was told that I should wait and book it about 2 to 3 weeks out. Just complete the paperwork on NCL website and they would do the rest. I won't pay the $135 since I really didn't think the wines, strawberries and canapes were worth the extra. But I will make reservations and go to LaBistro and purchase a nice bottle of wine to go with dinner. Bottom line is that NCL will likely get less money out of me and I will get a nicer bottle of wine.

I agree! The page on the web site that lists all of the gifts clearly states that all prices are subject to change. That package has been the same price for years. Why is the cruise line not allowed to do what every other business does. Are you paying the same price for food that you were last year? NOT.

I agree! The page on the web site that lists all of the gifts clearly states that all prices are subject to change. That package has been the same price for years. Why is the cruise line not allowed to do what every other business does. Are you paying the same price for food that you were last year? NOT.

Raising the price 70% with no warning and no explanation is not an acceptable practice in the travel/hospitality industry, I don't understand why some people think I shouldn't feel the slight bit of disappointment when confronted with this situation.

All's I got to say is, if this is the standard NCL experience, then I can be very certain to say this will be our first and last NCL cruise. They are entitled to do whatever they want, and I'm entitled to cruise with whichever cruise line I want. But please don't make it sound like I'm being snobby and demanding. If your local gasoline prices jump 70% overnight you'd feel bad too.

We used $75 OBC to go to LeBistro on our first NCL cruise. Picked our own wine. It was an ok dinner. I was going to go with the $79 package this time to get the welcome bottle and maybe picture. We aren't interested in the party or strawberries. We probably will skip it this time and eat a nice meal in port instead.I told our NCL PCC that it made no sense to call it a "package" when the al la carte prices add up to the package price. I suggested she tell her supervisor that they should offer it at $100 at least to those already booked. That would be a 25% increase.

Archived