Remember your Tylenol!!! (or painkiller of choice)

regarding red flag, you mean like maybe someone is ill and not reporting it?

It happens -- our friends were on Carnival or RCI a while back and the first night he sent his wife down for some Immodium (he wasn't ill, just had some... uhh... gastro-intestinal issues from eating a pile of mega-hot buffalo wings the night before, plus a bunch of beer.

Bad move. The gift shop people called the medical staff.

She came back to the room with the ship's doctor in tow, and he spent the first 3 days of their cruise in quarantine, despite his insistence that he was fine.

I take the good ole Bag O'Medicine too. :D This past cruise I added moleskin to the bag as last time I cruised, the blisters I got were so painful and band aids didn't help much. I sailed with 3 girlfriends who thought the Bag O'Medicine was kinda funny.

We sailed on some pretty rough seas on Explorer last week, the friends weren't laughing anymore when they needed Dramamine at 2AM. ;)

I bring everything and use little but it is there if we need it...plus I always remember those we travel with in case they forget something.

Benadryl-Immodium-antibiotics-steroids (my pcp will give me since I have freq sinus infections just in case)-Phenergan with codeine (left over each yr from my annual bronchitis)-Mylanta-Ibuprofen-Naproxen,Tylenol,my pain med,regular meds that include Nexium (those Windjammer breakfasts:eek:), Scopolamine Patches.

I bring those heat packs and my BIL was thankful when his back was bothering him...and I bring an ice pouch as well.

Oh yes the ace wrap and bandages too.

No one ever makes fun of me because they know who to see if there is a need.

When my DD and one of her friends were on a cruise earlier this year her friend got bronchitis with a fever and she really did not want to go to the infirmary for the expense but luckily someone they had met knew a doctor onboard and he landed up coming to the cabin, checked her lungs-throat etc and gave her antibiotics. He said he always carries drugs with him because it never fails he lands up making "cabin calls".

Laura

I always bring meds with me just because of posts just like Jesters... I'm afraid I might have a simple tummy-ache but the ships doctor will be convinced I have some horrible contagious disease and confine me to my cabin!

Along the same vein... I get horrible, debilitating migraines and if necessarily I would gladly pay $24.95 for ANYTHING that would help takeaway the pain, if I had forgotten it.

Vicodin - never leave home without it.

hm, just buying immodium gets one quarentined? I guess my brother shouldnt cruise, he has irritable bowel syndrome lightly ... so when he gets over tired or stressed, like getting ready and getting underway on a cruise might trigger a quick bout of the runs.... :confused:

hm, just buying immodium gets one quarentined? I guess my brother shouldnt cruise, he has irritable bowel syndrome lightly ... so when he gets over tired or stressed, like getting ready and getting underway on a cruise might trigger a quick bout of the runs.... :confused:

I brought stuff with me 2 years ago, but I didn't think about that this past August. I guess we are lucky, nobody had an attack, but that is sure going to be on the list if we go next year. Always somebody in the family overindulges, and ends up leaving wearspots to the bathroom and back. Maybe a good book to go with it would be in order too.

Tylenol, ibuprophen, bandaids, vicadin, & clinomycin get packed. I've had so many weekend tooth infections in the past, I will not take the gamble.

Oh my goodness I can relate, every tooth infection that I have ever had, came on the weekend, and had to wait until monday to get it taken care of. Thankfully, I have had everything fixed in my mouth so hopefully no more of that! I always took Vicodin, just in case.

I too pack a medicine cabinet that includes Tylenol, Naproxen (Aleve), an antibiotic, immodium, phenergen, Robotussin, NyQuil, DayQuil, Hydrocodone, bandaides, 2 different size aces, moleskin, sunscreen, aloe or another type of burn gel, Bonine, and bandaides. I occasionally find things to add to my list, but these are the basics.

I found myself very ill with a gastrointestinal issue several years ago while in the Meditarranean. I spent the last half of our 12 day cruise on Carnival's Liberty in my cabin. Couldn't have left it. Didn't dare get that far from a bathroom. At the end of day 2, I called down to the infirmary, asking if they were able to provide any more care than I was self-administering (I am a sr. paramedic for a large urban 911 service). The nurse said that they could not, and that "oh, by the way, you are now quarintined. They sent a 6 pack of Sprite, a 6 pack of water, and advised me the pay-per-view movies were free. During those six days I never once was checked on by the medical staff despite the cabin steward being very much aware that I was in the cabin and quite ill. I would have been in big trouble moneywise had I not brought my OTC meds with me. Turns out I had some type of funky bacterial infection my PCP dealt with when I got home. Talk about a miserable vacation! My oldest DD met great people on the ship so all was not lost for her. It absolutely did not turn me off of cruising. I am simply more prepared for the what-if.

Archived