Help...torn calf muscle...should I cancel cruise? :(

sqerlygirl

Can't believe this happened!

I was playing tag with my dd yesterday...felt and heard a pop in my calf...fell flat on my face and had to crawl into the house. Found out I have a grade 2 tear that requires me to be on crutches for up to 2 weeks and full recovery in 2 months. As of right now, I can't walk at all without the crutches. We sail out on the 14th so I am praying that I am MUCH better by then.

Does the ship have wheelchairs available for use and would it be really hard to get around on the ship? We have the dolphin swim booked and I guess I will miss that. I am up for the challenge though...whatever I can do, I will do :)

We have insurance so I may be able to cancel but I REALLY want to go

Thanks so much!!

Charlene

I say Go! I have a herniated disc lots of pain, surgery scheduled after Thanksgiving cruise. They have wheel chairs if you need one. Get ya some pain pills, I did.

Carnival will provide you a wheelchair for embarking and disembarking only. You will need to notify them of your needs. If you do not want to attempt a lot of walking with the crutches would suggest renting a wheelchair. Friend of ours just did that for his wife. They told us need to have a wheelchair that can be left inside the cabin. They emphasize they do not want wheelchairs out in the halls. They had just a typical balcony cabin, 5205 on the Miracle, and had no issues. They gave us assistance boarding and assistance leaving the ship. I watched them bring wheelchairs to our debark area for other passengers and all went fairly smooth except for one lady screaming it was her turn and nobody was helping her:mad: I would say they only had about 6 wheelchairs to help everyone though. Hope this helps

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions...it gave me alot to think about :)

I am VERY happy to report that 4 days after the injury, my leg is feeling and performing much better than expected. Today I can walk slowly with a limp with NO pain....and NO crutches!!

We sail in 8 days and hopefully I will be able to walk normally by then. I follow-up with my MD next week and I'll also take their advice.

I'm sure going up steps and dancing will be out of the question but if I can get from point A to B...I will be a happy cruiser!!

Thanks, Strangers!! ;)

Charlene

theres a gold lining on every cloud..so they say..

sorry for the inconvience..the bright side is that ll you can get priority

boarding and debarkation:D

in Honolulu..i was limping around with a bad back..some attendant came running up to me and ask d if i wanted a wheel chair..she wheeled us straight to priority boarding :)

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions...it gave me alot to think about :)

I am VERY happy to report that 4 days after the injury, my leg is feeling and performing much better than expected. Today I can walk slowly with a limp with NO pain....and NO crutches!!

We sail in 8 days and hopefully I will be able to walk normally by then. I follow-up with my MD next week and I'll also take their advice.

I'm sure going up steps and dancing will be out of the question but if I can get from point A to B...I will be a happy cruiser!!

Thanks, Strangers!! ;)

Charlene

I hope your mend is a speedy one.

I realize that a lot of people are saying to go, but I'd agree with the minority and say not to...based on your original post. I went on a cruise 10 days post knee surgery and it wasn't as enjoyable as it could have been...not even close. I was pretty much in bed early every night (9:00) with ice and pain meds. I was sore and grumpy much of the time, but tried to make the best of it. I had insurance and could have cancelled, but didn't.

There's a LOT of walking on a ship, as you know and if your flying, then that's a whole nother challenge.

There are certainly a lot more considerations like age, general physical condition, who's going and if there's a problem can they help you, etc.

Do get the opinion of the Doc and decide with +'s and -'s.

Good luck and feel better soon.

Glad to hear you're doing so much better! A bit of advice, though, don't push the walking. Pamper that injured calf and let it heal - or it will come back to bite you (trust me - I found that out with little back injuries from 20 years of lifting patients) Having traveled DisneyWorld with a DD who had ankle surgery, seriously consider renting a wheelchair or scooter. Fatigue can set you up for another injury and you'll probably walk more than you think you will. If you don't want to do that, they have this nifty cane (I know - but I was much happier when I accepted my back & got a cane!) that converts to a little stool. At least it lets you sit for awhile. Oh - and have a great time!

Glad to hear that you're doing better; thought I'd give my 2-cents anyway.

I broke my ankle while in Cozumel during a cruise last month and am now in a cast for a couple of weeks. Doc said I can't put any weight on it at all during that time. I find getting around on crutches nearly impossible. It made me think of a fellow I saw on our TransAtlantic cruise this past Spring. He also had a broken ankle with a cast but he was zooming around the ship on a what they call a "Knee Walker or Knee Scooter." I never saw one of these things before then, so I Googled it.

They are expensive to purchase, but you can rent one for just over $100 per month and they are far superior to crutches. You just kneel on the pads with the injuried leg (assuming that your injury is below the knee, of course), and push yourself around with the other leg.

TLC%20w%20Basketweb.JPG

I was playing tag with my dd yesterday...felt and heard a pop in my calf...fell flat on my face and had to crawl into the house. Found out I have a grade 2 tear that requires me to be on crutches for up to 2 weeks and full recovery in 2 months. As of right now, I can't walk at all without the crutches. We sail out on the 14th so I am praying that I am MUCH better by then.

Does the ship have wheelchairs available for use and would it be really hard to get around on the ship? We have the dolphin swim booked and I guess I will miss that. I am up for the challenge though...whatever I can do, I will do :)

We have insurance so I may be able to cancel but I REALLY want to go! What would you do??? I can't decide.

Thanks so much!!

Charlene

I went on a cruise with a broken foot and a big walking boot and crutches. There was no way I was canceling my cruise. I say get a wheelchair and have a great time.

We have insurance so I may be able to cancel but I REALLY want to go! What would you do??? I can't decide.

Thanks so much!!

Charlene

Now, I did not read all the way through the thread, but here are some options, you can rent a wheelchair or borrow one from a local organization that loans them out, before you go, that way you can use it on board and also in ports that do not require the use of a tender. If you are booked with the dolphin swim, as long as you do not have any open cuts, the water therapy will be good for your leg, but I would email the place where you are going to do the swim and ask them about it. My brother had a grade 3 tear of his calf muscle and he still went on his cruise and had the time of his life. Since you sail on the 14th, you will have healed enough to go, but ask your doc first, but don't rush to cancel.

Another thing you could consider is renting a walker with a seat on it, that might work, but fisrt choice should be a wheelchair.

My mom had a broken foot on her cruise and still went, and there was a guy on crutches on our cruise last week. There are elevators conveniently located all over the ship. I did the dolphin swim and I would say you definitely should cancel that. I had issues with the flippers without a bum leg, and the dolphins can be unpredictable. Good luck!

I'd go, park my arse in a beach chair, and make sure i was close enough to a bar to be able to wave my crutch at a tender to request my various and plentiful DODs.

I cruise to relax...and if the doc wants you off that leg, i can think of no more beautiful setting to do it in.

There are usually extra wheelchairs which you have to pay a $25 deposit to use them. You get the $25 back when you return the wheelchair. You cant reserve one and cant say for sure they will have them.
on the carnival website there is a link for an application for disabilities you can fill out & fax or e-mail (look under FAQ section). You can request a wheelchair & extra help on embarkation & debarkation. I saw many people using Carnival wheelchairs in Oct.

Thanks so much!!

Charlene

On our Pride cruise a couple of months ago my knee gave out. We were able to get a wheel chair from passenger services. They put a deposit of $50 on our S&S card, which was credited out at the end of cruise when we returned the chair. Hope your leg heals quickly!

Well you asked...If doc says go and you want to, then go

But I would not depend on a wheel chair from the cruise line, rent one before you get on the cruise. It's a pre existing condition and you are responsible to get around. If it happened on the cruise, they would rent you a chair. But you already know you have a problem, so rent your chair in advance, that way you can take it with you if you need it in ports. However, if you are not going to lose anything because you have trip insurance, I'd rebook so that you can enjoy all of the trip.

Hope you are up and mobile on your own soon!

just got off Destiny on Monday. There were a bunch of Carnival wheelchairs all over the ship. Also seen them off the ship.

You may be best renting a scooter. I have used Scootaround twice to rent a scooter for my mom. I also know that they do rent scooters for cruises. 1-888-441-7575. I know that they do them out of NY I would imagine that they have them in all the major ports.

Archived